SHUNTERS and tachos

All the shunter tractor units are road legal, and maintained in good time, one driver refuses to put an anolugue tacho when he goes on the public road, the distance is short, i would say about a half a mile to do several warehouses.
I have said if he killed someone or hit a bike or car, the police will want to see the tacho, he clocks in to work and says that is enough.
Let`s say an accident occurs, when it goes to court, how would the driver stand, the other shunters put a card in.

I am sure there is an exemption to the rules on tacho’s for trucks that are used as shunters between warehouses that require traveling on the public highway so long as its under a curtain distance, will try and find the rules :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I you could i will print it off and show the driver, what if he was pulled by VOSA with no card in ?

Im guuessing tugs dont count ? Although i have seen them driving on roads , e.g.: going up the road to the other warehouse… etc etc

JG

If the truck as a tacho in it as to be used on a public road a tacho chart or card as to be used also if the trucks go on the road and are legal to do so IE on the operators licence and have valid tax in them the operator would want to keep a record of the mileage so he can show it to Vosa if the truck does not have these it would not be allowed out of the yard in the first place

delboytwo:
If the truck as a tacho in it as to be used on a public road a tacho chart or card as to be used also if the trucks go on the road and are legal to do so IE on the operators licence and have valid tax in them the operator would want to keep a record of the mileage so he can show it to Vosa if the truck does not have these it would not be allowed out of the yard in the first place

that’s not correct,if the vehicle can be used under uk domestic rules, if the vehicle is used under 50kms from base and is not driven for more than 4 hrs no record is needed, now it is quite possible for a shunter to fall into that even over a 8 hr shift

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/R … Europe.pdf

look at the flow chart on page 27 and this will enlighten you :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

wildfire:

delboytwo:

that’s not correct,if the vehicle can be used under uk domestic rules, if the vehicle is used under 50kms from base and is not driven for more than 4 hrs no record is needed, now it is quite possible for a shunter to fall into that even over a 8 hr shift

look at the flow chart on page 27 and this will enlighten you :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I can’t see under what exemption a shunter would be exempt from EU rules (other than being incapable of exceeding 40 kmh) therefore domestic regs don’t come into it. Under EU rules any part of a journey that involves travelling on the public highway brings into scope any off-road driving, consequently full tacho rules apply.

wildfire:

delboytwo:

the truck there use is a truck, not a shunter it got a tacho fitted and road legal just looked at page 27 I would think the driver is driving for more than 4 hours in that day as he moving truck up and down all day .

MADBAZ:

wildfire:

delboytwo:

I can’t see under what exemption a shunter would be exempt from EU rules (other than being incapable of exceeding 40 kmh) therefore domestic regs don’t come into it. Under EU rules any part of a journey that involves travelling on the public highway brings into scope any off-road driving, consequently full tacho rules apply.

Madbaz, A refuse vehicle is used on highway, goes over 40km/hr and is used on domestic regs, and is tacho exempt. Surely it’s the same situation?

trelleborg not speed limiter restricted to 40kph or proper unit is subject to EU regs if it goes on any part of a public road

To add, the shunter starts at 05.00 am and finishes at 20.00 to 21.00, sometimes to 22.00/23.00.

wheelyb:

MADBAZ:

wildfire:

delboytwo:

Madbaz, A refuse vehicle is used on highway, goes over 40km/hr and is used on domestic regs, and is tacho exempt. Surely it’s the same situation?

There is a specific exemption for door to door refuse collections.

Thanks.