Shunter shuntie shuntard

So anyone done this type of gig?
I have always said I would never do it as it seems like an extremely boring job.
But I am always up for a crack of trying something different.

If you guys have done it, how did you find it?

I assume you…

Mean with a Terberg? It’s like all jobs, it’s what you make it. You can drive around all day like a demon moving trailers around or, you can pace yourself steady and have an easier life. 95% of drivers will do as you ask and you can get them to do a large part of your job for you.

If it’s fridge trailers, you’ll be expected to set the run temperatures.

If it’s curtains, you might be expected to button them up (sod that).

Don’t do it in a unit, you’ll work yerself to death.

yourhavingalarf:
I assume you…

Mean with a Terberg? It’s like all jobs, it’s what you make it. You can drive around all day like a demon moving trailers around or, you can pace yourself steady and have an easier life. 95% of drivers will do as you ask and you can get them to do a large part of your job for you.

If it’s fridge trailers, you’ll be expected to set the run temperatures.

If it’s curtains, you might be expected to button them up (sod that).

Don’t do it in a unit, you’ll work yerself to death.

Aye, with the Terdberg.
I dont mind doing the curtains tbh.
I even enjoying have to use the forklift although that licence has long run out of date.
Just worried about the boredom aspect tbh if I go for it. I suppose I can always do a few days on agency see how it goes.
I might have to lie to the agency and tell them I want to work all the time but they are only a agency so they are used to lying to others so should take it like a champ :smiley:

Aye, with the Terdberg.
I even enjoying have to use the forklift although that licence has long run out of date.
Just worried about the boredom aspect tbh if I go for it. I suppose I can always do a few days on agency see how it goes.
I might have to lie to the agency and tell them I want to work all the time but they are only a agency so they are used to lying to others so should take it like a champ :smiley:
[/quote]

Boredom ?
How can this be boring compared to driving on UK motorways ?

Dodgy Permit:
Aye, with the Terdberg.

Boredom ?
[/quote]
Friend of mine got bored of trunking and now drives a shunter for the same company. He loves it. There’s only one thing he hates.
You know those ignorant goods-in people, security guards and forklift drivers we all hate? Imagine dealing with them all day long.

All depends how busy you depot is if your only shifting 10 or so trailers in a shift then you will be bored to death. The company I worked for had 40 or so bays on the go goods in and out never had time to get bored. Easy enough to do with a “tug” not good with an old knackered unit.

somefeen:

Dodgy Permit:
Aye, with the Terdberg.

Boredom ?
Friend of mine got bored of trunking and now drives a shunter for the same company. He loves it. There’s only one thing he hates.
You know those ignorant goods-in people, security guards and forklift drivers we all hate? Imagine dealing with them all day long.

You know why them people can be like that?

I did a day of shunting and by far and away the most awkward, ignorant people to deal with were other drivers.

I also found 8 hours felt like 16

Never did the job and never fancied it but many years ago I trained about two dozen car licence holders to shunt trailers for a large british company who still exist today.
They were divided into pairs and each pair had 2 days training. All went fine and never heard how any of them got on so presumably there were no issues.
No way that could happen now with all the rules and regs. :wink:

jakethesnake:
Never did the job and never fancied it but many years ago I trained about two dozen car licence holders to shunt trailers for a large british company who still exist today.
They were divided into pairs and each pair had 2 days training. All went fine and never heard how any of them got on so presumably there were no issues.

When I was a warehouse bod about 8 years ago most of the shunters did not have a LGV licence.
Seems that has changed now though, as most places ask for a licence to shunt trailers in the yard.
Personally, I do not see why but ah well.

Last year we visited the viewpoint near the port of Felixtowe and watching those tugs (not the marine ones!) performing fascinated the Mrs. Not sure that I could be doing that all day, but I supppose a LGV isn’t required so it could probably suit a driver like myself who has a problem health wise but still wants to be involved with lorries?

Pete.

Jimmy McNulty:

somefeen:

Dodgy Permit:
Aye, with the Terdberg.

Boredom ?

You know why them people can be like that?

I did a day of shunting and by far and away the most awkward, ignorant people to deal with were other drivers.

I also found 8 hours felt like 16

Just add other drivers to that list so :laughing:

adam277:

jakethesnake:

When I was a warehouse bod about 8 years ago most of the shunters did not have a LGV licence.
Seems that has changed now though, as most places ask for a licence to shunt trailers in the yard.
Personally, I do not see why but ah well.

I worked for Ferryline Forwarding many years ago to do the yard work on a forklift, some shunting was involved.
The company decided to go for BS accreditation ( later became ISO) .
One of the parts of that was that you had to be trained , certified or licensed to use or operate any equipment or vehicles that were involved with the job you did .
As is the way these days many insurance companies insist that you must be qualified to operate vehicles or equipment to be covered.
Always the danger of being sent out on delivery or collection runs if you are licensed. That’s how I first got sent over to Belgium to collect frozen prawns .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
Always the danger of being sent out on delivery or collection runs if you are licensed. That’s how I first got sent over to Belgium to collect frozen prawns .

Did you not think there was something fishy about that request?

njl:

grumpyken52:

Did you not think there was something fishy about that request?

Certainly did when one of ours was pulled a few months later with 500kg of Colombian marching powder in a load of frozen chips !!!

Shunting is like truck driving, there’s that many variations of shunting it will depend on the depot your at.

Some depots the shunter is the yard manager/supervisor booking things in and out, allocating trailers, organising servicing etc, at others you just move trailer/vehicle from a to b as instructed via radio/data terminal.

As with any job the more you do it the easier it gets, when you can start predicting what’s going happen next and being prepared for it, rather than running around chasing your tail.