shunter driver

ive just been recommended to this site by friend.ive only just started my new career in hgv and have been doing my new job for 3 wks.the job is a shunter driver on a corus steel site.the work is 12 hr days permenent but was told the work would be between 48+55 hrs per wk.one issue i have is can the 60hr wk be right bearing in mind the 48 hr working regulations act,stating you should work an average 48hr wk ? please help/advise me. many thanks steve.

Welcome stephen cox :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Are you an internal shunter driver or are you out on public roads :question: :question:
If the latter, how many hours each week on driving & other work combined :question: :question:
Breaks do not count, nor does POA (being told that you will have to wait around doing nothing for an approximated period but being available if needed) for working out the 48 week average over 17 or 26 week period (depends what has been agreed with your employer)

PS I’m not the expert on this subject - expect definitive replies from either coffeehoilc, tachograph or geebee45. :slight_smile:

stephen cox:
ive just been recommended to this site by friend.ive only just started my new career in hgv and have been doing my new job for 3 wks.the job is a shunter driver on a corus steel site.the work is 12 hr days permenent but was told the work would be between 48+55 hrs per wk.one issue i have is can the 60hr wk be right bearing in mind the 48 hr working regulations act,stating you should work an average 48hr wk ? please help/advise me. many thanks steve.

Welcome to TruckNet stephe :smiley:

If you’re job comes under the “European drivers’ hours rules”, the WTD for mobile workers will apply to you, in this case you can work for a maximum of 60 hours in any week, but this should average out to no more than 48 hours over the reference period (usually 17 or 26 weeks).

However, if as I suspect, you’re job doesn’t come under the “European drivers’ hours rules” then the WTD for mobile workers doesn’t apply to you so you can opt out of the 48 hour average week.

Basically, if you drive on public roads you will certainly be subject to EC drivers regulations and therefore the 48 hour average week, but if all your driving is done off road and you don’t do any other work which may bring you’re job in scope of the driving regulations , you don’t come under the WTD for mobile workers and therefore you can opt out of the 48 hour week.

Info for none mobile workers WTD can be found here.

HTH.