Shunt button

I am fully aware of the importance of applying the trailer parking brake etc but dont have any idea what the shunt button does :confused: (remember im a rookie).
Is its use of any great importance and should I know about it for my test.
Also would a ratchet type trailer brake be used in the same sort of way as ratchet straps ie back and forth on the handle till tight enough or just one movement :confused:

Don’t know about the shunt button but would be interested also, you sound correct on the ratchet though as I had one of these on my test trailer.

The shunt button will release the brakes if you push it in, It is for “Shunting”, so you don’t have to attach the red airline. In my expierences it is normally just as easy to attach the red line for shunting as it is to press the button. The only time I think they are a good idea is when the button is on the front bulkhead of the trailer, then it is easy just to press it in and away you go. The old type ratchet brakes you just crank the handle up and down till the cable is tight, to release you just push the handle down until the cable releases. I haven’t seen a ratchet parking brake for quite a while now, they are mostly on old trailers. Hence why seen alot on training trailers I suppose. Just wait till you get a cold wet dark morning when some nice kind sole has wound the brakes on and the cable has come off of the sprocket and jammed, then it’s fun and games trying to get it untangled. Long may cable trailerbrakes rest in peace. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have no idea what the shunt button does, personally if i have to move a trailer even 1ft then i connect up properly may take a minute or two longer but you know it’s done right.
Better to be safe than sorry.

I agree with smcaul,its just as easy too attach the red suzie for the simple reason being,if there is no air in the trailer’s air tanks, pushing the shunt button will be a waist of time as the brakes will still be applied …
good luck guys :open_mouth:

Linux-user:
I have no idea what the shunt button does, personally if i have to move a trailer even 1ft then i connect up properly may take a minute or two longer but you know it’s done right.
Better to be safe than sorry.

why do all that and it does not need to be done.as long as the unit or shunter is connected to the trl properly then pressing the shunt button is perfectly safe.especially if your shunting a fridge where the connection is fitted underneath the fridge and is close coupling.some off you guy’s seem to give yourself’s alot more work than you’s need to.just because some of you’s are newbie’s does not mean that you’s need to do it the hard way lads( or the way you’s where taught,)if the tool’s are there to do the job then use the dam thing’s.the idea of this job is to make the job alot easier for yourself’s,the way some of you’s are going you’s will be burnt out by the time you’s get to 40. :wink:

Personally if moving a trailer only a short distance, I use the red line.

My mate was using the shunt button on a loaded trailer. He was doing about 10 mph in the yard, and the air in the trailer ran out. He stopped dead in his tracks! :laughing:

Didn’t hurt himself too bad on the steering wheel…

flying_fenman:
My mate was using the shunt button on a loaded trailer. He was doing about 10 mph in the yard, and the air in the trailer ran out. He stopped dead in his tracks! :laughing:

Didn’t hurt himself too bad on the steering wheel…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

flying_fenman:
Personally if moving a trailer only a short distance, I use the red line.

more likely the button popped out when he got to 10 mph. Designed to do this to prevent trailers inadvertently “going to road” with the shunt button employed.
Some won’t stay in at all & have to be held in by an assistant…who should watch where his toes are in relation to the wheels!!!

yellow airline on shunt button in… :laughing:

red airline on drive :smiley:

I just use the red line. I dont see why some ppl have to put all the lines and cables on just for shunting. If shunters in these big depots had to do this all day/night they would get nothing done.

yep me too… :open_mouth:

my above comment was meant to be read as 2 seperate statements …its an either or situation