Show off your Motor

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Star down under.:

What engine and box in the Disco?
I had an older Disco with the 300 TDi and manual. Quite liked it.
Considered a DeepEnder with the Td5 in but the driving position in those is horrific.

Converting a diesel to LS seems to make more sense than starting with an expensive Rover V8.
youtube.com/watch?v=zKP_vroDkcw

Big petrol V8 is nice…but…
Keeping LR transmission? I haven’t looked up the figures, but having to use a light right foot defeats the idea of having more grunt available in the engine if you can’t use it?
For practical overlanding? Diesel over petrol IMHO.
Waterproofing, mpg (how bigs your fuel tanks?) torque on the tough stuff more important than top end power.
And of course spare parts. Will you get bits for your USA V8? Not as easy as bits for a Landy, Cruiser, or other Japanese 4x4 in many countries.

Ironically I’ve imported plenty of parts for the Jag from US including a light aluminium flywheel with a steel inset and clutch assembly to match a Getrag and if I keep it on the road the next move will be to ditch the Getrag manual box for a better US Tremech or Borg Warner T5 which will also need a new bell housing and clutch assembly.
LS engines and parts availability are second to none it’s just the cost of shipping and taxes which are the only downside.
The idea of the LS is that it provides even more reliable and less stressed equivalent power as the Rover V8.For less cost and far better availability than the Rover motor.While still maintaining good old fashioned pushrod simplicity.

“LS parts availability second to none” But you’ve gotta ship them in?
OK…

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Star down under.:

Considered a DeepEnder with the Td5 in but the driving position in those is horrific.

Converting a diesel to LS seems to make more sense than starting with an expensive Rover V8.

What a useless, expensive and uninformed conversion.
Everything from the flywheel to the hubs will have to be upgraded. Fuel range will be seriously compromised as will be cost and safe carriage of spare fuel.
The off road ability will also be seriously, negatively affected.
■■■■■■■ or Isuzu would both be better choices.

Star down under.:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Star down under.:

Everything from the flywheel to the hubs will have to be upgraded. Fuel range will be seriously compromised as will be cost and safe carriage of spare fuel.

That seems to be saying that no petrol Discos or Range Rovers have ever been used off road.There actually never was a diesel option for the Range Rover for years if not decades and it never affected its ability to be used off road.
No Range Rovers ran out of fuel and no jerry cans blew up during this expedition.
dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/col … p-vehicles
Also we’d have lost the battle of El Alamein if the Germans hadn’t run out of fuel or blown up first.
Also bearing in mind diesel is a dirty expensive fuel which is quickly becoming a liability for on road use here.You won’t find many recent diesel option orders for Discos or Range Rovers and their used values have collapsed relative to petrol.
The flywheel/drive plate is obviously suited to the LS motor which is then mated to the LR transmission using the correct clutch/bellhousing adaptions.
Why the need to upgrade anything if output is governed to the equivalent of the Rover V8 simply by using a restrictor plate in the inlet.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
The idea of the LS is that it provides even more reliable and less stressed equivalent power as the Rover V8.For less cost and far better availability than the Rover motor.While still maintaining good old fashioned pushrod simplicity.

“LS parts availability second to none” But you’ve gotta ship them in?
OK…

In many cases it’s easier and quicker to ship in parts from the US than wait for parts from Germany, let alone find now expensive parts for the long discontinued Rover V8.With the win win that both the BMW V8 and to a lesser extent the Rover V8 are less durable motors than the LS and even the later JLR type petrol or diesel motors aren’t cheap to maintain, even allowing for US import taxes.
Bearing in mind relative values of diesel Range Rovers/Discos v petrol V8’s the choice of a diesel to LS conversion is a no brainer.It can only increase its value over both especially the former probably by more than the cost of the conversion.

Carryfast:

[/quote]
That seems to be saying that no petrol Discos or Range Rovers have ever been used off road.There actually never was a diesel option for the Range Rover for years if not decades and it never affected its ability to be used off road.
No Range Rovers ran out of fuel and no jerry cans blew up during this expedition.
dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/col … p-vehicles
Also we’d have lost the battle of El Alamein if the Germans hadn’t run out of fuel or blown up first.
Also bearing in mind diesel is a dirty expensive fuel which is quickly becoming a liability for on road use here.You won’t find many recent diesel option orders for Discos or Range Rovers and their used values have collapsed relative to petrol.
The flywheel/drive plate is obviously suited to the LS motor which is then mated to the LR transmission using the correct clutch/bellhousing adaptions.
Why the need to upgrade anything if output is governed to the equivalent of the Rover V8 simply by using a restrictor plate in the inlet.
[/quote]
What I “seem” to be saying says more about your lack of comprehension than my statement.
Land Rover exported more cars than ever remained on home shores. Worldwide, diesel is the predominant fuel, ergo apart from the USA, diesel would be the most logical choice of fuel. There are many places in this country where motor spirit is not available, particularly in the natural environment of Land Rover.

What is the point in replacing a sub 4.0 litre engine with one of approximately 50% greater displacement, then choke it ?
The fuel consumption increases by 25%, the Chev electronics can’t communicate with the Land Rover bits, without an interpreter, suspension has to be modified to accept an LS, the cost of the GM lump will exceed the value of a D2 and making it work will double the engine cost.
There is no upside.

adam277:
That goldwing is just way too big lol.
Also what is with the enclosure for the front brakes? Seems it has an air intake / expell enclosure. Why not just let the air cool down the brakes naturally :stuck_out_tongue:.

It is a cool looking bike. Def would not like to try and pick it up if I ever dropped it though.

Yep, the 1200 was the last proper Goldwing. A 70’s muscle bike with a spaghetti frame, with a bolt on faring and panniers… (god, I loved my Aspencade… :grimacing: ). Later "Goldwings"are just to much plastic covering to many cylinders.

There has never been a bad 'Wing. Aesthetically I reckon my old 1100 Interstate was the best.
Have you ridden a six cylinder (1500/1800) Mr. Donkey? They are so smooth and excellent tourers.

Picking up any large bike requires technique rather than strength.

Star down under.:
There has never been a bad 'Wing. Aesthetically I reckon my old 1100 Interstate was the best.
Have you ridden a six cylinder (1500/1800) Mr. Donkey? They are so smooth and excellent tourers.

I didn’t say that the later Wings are bad… :sunglasses: :smiley: . Just that they resemble jetskis :grimacing: .

Only kidding Mr. Under. I don’t think Honda has yet managed to produce a bad bike. I agree with you, its a close call between the 1100 and the 1200. Mind you, apart from a mudguard bar, my 1200 had no extra lights or chrome trim bolted on, Just a cd changer and some LOUD speakers :sunglasses: .

Picking one up is indeed surprisingly easy, once you know how.

One things for sure the goldwings can do a lot of miles.
youtube.com/watch?v=piVmt2r0XuQ

Star down under.:

Tell me about it!
Pig of a job when my Pan fell onto a wall. No strength (7 stone weakling) and no way to get under it either.
Had a ferry to catch too. Horrible day.

Star down under.:
What I “seem” to be saying says more about your lack of comprehension than my statement.
Land Rover exported more cars than ever remained on home shores. Worldwide, diesel is the predominant fuel, ergo apart from the USA, diesel would be the most logical choice of fuel. There are many places in this country where motor spirit is not available, particularly in the natural environment of Land Rover.

What is the point in replacing a sub 4.0 litre engine with one of approximately 50% greater displacement, then choke it ?
The fuel consumption increases by 25%, the Chev electronics can’t communicate with the Land Rover bits, without an interpreter, suspension has to be modified to accept an LS, the cost of the GM lump will exceed the value of a D2 and making it work will double the engine cost.
There is no upside.

Firstly this isn’t the outback and petrol Range Rovers and Discos are in more demand and worth a lot more than diesels ‘here’ at least.
The fact is both the Disco and the Range Rover can handle decent petrol V8 type outputs and the 5.3 LS isn’t that much different to either the 4.6 V8 Rover or the BMW M62.
‘Choking the LS’ would be a laughable over statement.
It’s just which choice of petrol motor to use and the LS is the superior option to all the other petrol choices in terms of expense and/or availability.
Bearing in mind that diesel is effectively an obsolete fuel choice for cars here now with values having collapsed accordingly.To the point where a V8 petrol Disco is worth around 5 or 6 times as much as a diesel and that obviously provides plenty of scope to throw any of the required parts at the job of converting them.

Whatever Carryfast, total ignorance of any subject has never previously inhibited you from claiming expert status and you have not upset the status quo on this occasion.

Star down under.:
Whatever Carryfast, total ignorance of any subject has never previously inhibited you from claiming expert status and you have not upset the status quo on this occasion.

Not ignorance it’s fact.Petrol Discos and Range Rovers are worth more than diesels.

motors.co.uk/land-rover/engi … used-cars/

Which isn’t surprising when the costs of maintaining an OHC turbo diesel exceed any fuel savings over an average mileage and most now rightly view diesel ownership as pariah status regardless.
So naturally aspirated V8 pushrod, with equivalent output of a BMW M62, let alone the obsolete 4.6 Rover V8, thereby turning an unwanted £1,500 basket case diesel into a £5-10 grand + petrol one.What’s not to like.

Carryfast:
Firstly this isn’t the outback and petrol Range Rovers and Discos are in more demand and worth a lot more than diesels ‘here’ at least.

Your original link was to a YouTube about “overlanding”…not a link about driving Chelsea tractors between different home counties fuel stops!

Now a link showing that low mileage petrol Rangies have a higher asking price than a diesel Disco…

And this:

Carryfast:
costs of maintaining an OHC turbo diesel exceed any fuel savings…

Ohh…I can`t be arsed…

Dunno why anyone would want a V8 petrol range rover with petrol at like £1.55p atm lol. And that’s the crappy E10 stuff.

What is the mpg of a petrol V8 range rover? Must be like 15mpg lol.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Your original link was to a YouTube about “overlanding”…not a link about driving Chelsea tractors between different home counties fuel stops!

Now a link showing that low mileage petrol Rangies have a higher asking price than a diesel Disco…

And this:

Carryfast:

Ohh…I can`t be arsed…

The link I posted proved that big petrol V8 and serious off roading/over landing isn’t mutually exclusive bearing in mind that there was no such thing as a diesel Range Rover.
You seem to have issues with the truth that all types of diesels are increasingly seen as an economic liability in the UK new and used car markets.

Define low mileage.At the end of the day it’s a 21 year old motor with around average mileage on it.The truth is it’s got the best spec of decent push rod petrol V8 and manual box.Nothing to do with its mileage all of which would be moot anyway if the demand was for diesels more than petrol.
autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108246580444

Carryfast, are you on a mission to wreck every thread on this forum?

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Carryfast:

And this:

Carryfast:

Ohh…I can`t be arsed…

The link I posted proved that big petrol V8 and serious off roading/over landing isn’t mutually exclusive bearing in mind that there was no such thing as a diesel Range Rover.
You seem to have issues with the truth that all types of diesels are increasingly seen as an economic liability in the UK new and used car markets.

Define low mileage.At the end of the day it’s a 21 year old motor with around average mileage on it.The truth is it’s got the best spec of decent push rod petrol V8 and manual box.Nothing to do with its mileage all of which would be moot anyway if the demand was for diesels more than petrol.
autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108246580444

““This Land Rover is one of just two ‘prototype’ Discovery…””

autotrader.co.uk/car-detail … 4eb&page=2

Under 3k for a V8 with MoT and under average miles. Fill yer boots!

For Overland ■■■■ try these two sites:
neneoverland.co.uk/
globe-camper.com/about-us-2-2/
The Overland builds tend to be diesels, not petrol. Reliability, not outnout power.
Yes petrol is do-able for overland, but isn`t generally favoured anywhere except maybe the USA and youtube.com/watch?v=yhDDPS6L-MU&t=76s
Nene have got LR V8s for Mr CF, but for my money this is their best offering
neneoverland.co.uk/listings … -prepared/

It`s now “POA” but was up for £49k asking price previously.

How about this one, Mr. Eff.

carsales.com.au/cars/detail … 2778/?Cr=0

They haven’t got a snowball’s of getting it, going rate is less than a tenth of the asking price.

Couple of years ago in the Pyrenees.
Still got this one.
Over 200k miles. 3.0 Diesel, auto.
Standard suspension and wheels. ARB roof tent. Steel front bumper and winch. 3rd battery in rear for fridge.
Now also has side sliders, and steel rear bumper giving better clearance on rear as well as front.

Screenshot (4).jpg

Screenshot (3).jpg