Should I try again?

I failed twice in 2019. The first time I got one serious for not putting the parking brake on at traffic lights. I got a few minors also.

The second time my confidence was knocked and I failed the reverse at the start so I didn’t carry on. I was pretty demoralised. The tester had a way of making you feel very unworthy.

I really don’t know if I’m up to this, I don’t feel confident driving hgv and if I’m honest I see of as “just a job” to make money, not a career or lifestyle.

At the moment there is a shortage of jobs and I’m thinking of trying again but I’m torn between just leaving it or trying again. The number one thing for me is not being dangerous on the roads and not messing up something again.

If I was able to go out with an experienced driver for a few weeks and take it from there I think I’d be able to get some realistic feedback on my abilities. That is what training does but obviously the cost of training etc is high.

Any tips here?

ram_1979:
If I was able to go out with an experienced driver for a few weeks and take it from there I think I’d be able to get some realistic feedback on my abilities.

I assume you mean to do some commercial driving whilst on a provisional licence in which case you need a valid DQC to do that

ROG:

ram_1979:
If I was able to go out with an experienced driver for a few weeks and take it from there I think I’d be able to get some realistic feedback on my abilities.

I assume you mean to do some commercial driving whilst on a provisional licence in which case you need a valid DQC to do that

Yes that’s what I meant.

ram_1979:

ROG:

ram_1979:

Yes that’s what I meant.

Do you have a valid DQC :question:

ROG:

ram_1979:

ROG:

ram_1979:

Yes that’s what I meant.

Do you have a valid DQC :question:

How could I have a DQC if I failed my test?

I’m assuming you need to pass test before you get DQC but according to Google passing cpc gives you DQC card.

I have CPC though.

Without a valid DQC you cannot drive commercially so your idea of going out with a licenced supervising driver doing a commercial run is out the window legally

The DQC exception is for CPC training on a non commercial drive

I am almost 100% certain that the rules have not changed since I checked on this a few years ago but apologise if they have

Hi Ram. I don’t wish to be negative, but your heart doesn’t seem to be in it. Personally if I felt that way I wouldn’t train to do HGV driving. I am no expert, I am currently waiting to do my theory tests.
Training is expensive and from what I understand the pay, conditions and hours aren’t great. Obviously pay is improving at the moment and hopefully conditions too.

Hopefully if you do decide to go ahead you will find a good trainer who will give you the confidence to succeed. I suppose it all depends on what your current job is, whether you enjoy it and how well that pays compared to driving.

It might be worth taking to the forum sponsor they are supposed to be a good training school, I haven’t used them so can’t personally recommend them.
Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do

When in 2019 did you pass your theory tests? IIRC you get 2 years to pass or you need to resit.

I understand how you feel about the nerves and worry about being able to drive, but you can do it you did it in the training and nerves got to you is all but at the end of the day if you really don’t want to be there, then getting the motivation to get the training done, pass and then onto the first job hunt will be very difficult

SquireT:
When in 2019 did you pass your theory tests? IIRC you get 2 years to pass or you need to resit.

I understand how you feel about the nerves and worry about being able to drive, but you can do it you did it in the training and nerves got to you is all but at the end of the day if you really don’t want to be there, then getting the motivation to get the training done, pass and then onto the first job hunt will be very difficult

It’s not that I don’t want to drive or want a job I think I’m just sick of going into new environments and being the new guy or feeling totally out of place. I’ve been doing this all my life. It’s something I try and avoid generally.

ram_1979:

SquireT:

It’s not that I don’t want to drive or want a job I think I’m just sick of going into new environments and being the new guy or feeling totally out of place. I’ve been doing this all my life. It’s something I try and avoid generally.

I think its a confidence boost you need !

I have had 4 different careers including the RAF, this being the 5th if I pass and enjoy it. Within that I have had about 15 jobs where I have been the “new kid on the block” which is nerve racking when you are younger but eventually you don’t stress over what other people think and just get on with it.

I certainly wouldn’t give up after one knock back, you wouldn’t be the only person not to put a handbrake at a set of lights ! I am a Truck enthusiast and have been for years and so I am looking forward to giving it a go, that doesn’t mean that after a few years I wont get bored with long drives in heavy traffic ! Every Job becomes tedious after a while and you have to make it interesting.

You don’t know whether you will enjoy Driving until you do it for a living, if I were you I’d sort out your confidence issues (there are courses run by the military for this) and get stuck in. If you find that its not for you then you can look elsewhere but at least you have given it a shot !

Best of Luck !

ram_1979:
I failed twice in 2019. The first time I got one serious for not putting the parking brake on at traffic lights. I got a few minors also.

The second time my confidence was knocked and I failed the reverse at the start so I didn’t carry on. I was pretty demoralised. The tester had a way of making you feel very unworthy.

I really don’t know if I’m up to this, I don’t feel confident driving hgv and if I’m honest I see of as “just a job” to make money, not a career or lifestyle.

Did you train with PSTT? If not, you might find it easier to pass there as they have a very good setup there and location.

Try at least 30 shifts driving a 3.5 tonne van for a supermarket and/or become a bus driver as they often train their new drivers without charge…although they do expect you to stay with them for a couple of years.