Should I take the plunge???

Hi all

I currently work as a mechanical fitter but have fallen out of love with the industry and feel I need to change my career.

I have my licence for Class1 and 2 so I’m considering giving HGV driving a go.

I am booked on for my CPC in November and I’ve sent away for my new Tacho card.

I’ve spoken to a couple of companies and they said to give them a call when I get my CPC and they will give me an assessment.

Am I doing the right thing■■? How much money can I potentially earn as a new driver?

Has anyone got any advice please?

My advice is to get employment directly with the client and avoid agency. You want regular start times so you have a regular sleep pattern. Lorry driving has a long hour culture. Fortunately there are some clients where 8 hour days is the norm. Avoid clients that want to regularly push their drivers to work 15 hour days. At one client, I would be sent out on a 7.5 hour job, only to be told my the boys in pointy shoes that I hadn’t worked my minimum 8 hours, so had to go out on another 7.5 hour job.

Thank you carlston49

I am in talks with some larger companies who are willing to take on new drivers like myself.

Am I been naive in thinking that larger, more reputable companies will stick to guide lines more and not mess me around?

You can do your CPC online now because of covid if you want to get on with it.

J400cbs:
Thank you carlston49

I am in talks with some larger companies who are willing to take on new drivers like myself.

Am I been naive in thinking that larger, more reputable companies will stick to guide lines more and not mess me around?

i’m with DHL,who give newbies a chance.what do you mean by not messing you around? we often work long days,and different start times,but NEVER expected to break any rules,and i’d expect other reputable Companies are the same?

carryfast-yeti:

J400cbs:
Thank you carlston49

i’m with DHL,who give newbies a chance.what do you mean by not messing you around? we often work long days,and different start times,but NEVER expected to break any rules,and i’d expect other reputable Companies are the same?

I mean messed around with driving hours an stuff. I’ve heard a few horror stories.

As a new driver do they advice you on hours you’ve worked, not so much daily hours but over the long term? I know it can all get a bit confusing when they talk about the average over 18 weeks and stuff.

Companies keep track of WTD hours over a reference period by recording the data on your tacho card + any paper manual ones you hand in
Companies give infringements for WTD breaches - authorities do not

ROG:
Companies keep track of WTD hours over a reference period by recording the data on your tacho card + any paper manual ones you hand in
Companies give infringements for WTD breaches - authorities do not

Thank you

J400cbs:

carryfast-yeti:

J400cbs:
Thank you carlston49

I mean messed around with driving hours an stuff. I’ve heard a few horror stories.

As a new driver do they advice you on hours you’ve worked, not so much daily hours but over the long term? I know it can all get a bit confusing when they talk about the average over 18 weeks and stuff.

our Manager keeps a check and insures that we are working within the legal limit over our 17 week reference period.