Should I take the job?

Passed my mod 4 today and had a load of cv’s ready to go handing out and the first place I went to pretty much offered me a job on the spot, the only thing being is it’s minimum wage for the first 40 hrs then £9ph after that and if you set off Sunday night it’s £10ph. The gaffer showed me all the wage slips for the lads from the last couple if weeks and there all taking home 380-490 quid a week with 3-5 nights out. I need the experience and lucky to get offered a job the first place I’ve tried but it’s the minimum wage thing that’s putting me off. What do you guys think?

If its a chance to get your foot in the door, then go for it. Sooner you get your 2 years experience, the more driving jobs you can apply for. Should any other offers come your way, you can always turn it down. :wink:

Grab it while you can. God knows next time you will get a chance if you dont take this. Its only minuim wage for 40hrs. Not 40 weeks. 40hrs only week or so. Good luck bud :smiley:

That’s the thing davey it is minimum wage for the first 40 hours each week. Prob didn’t explain that very well haha. The experience will be good tho and I could just hammer the hours and save up for my class 1.

O rite ok. I thought it was min wage first week :laughing: . I would still take it if was me. As you said get your class 1, i passed my class 1 in march mate. Im still knocking on doors though. But if you think your class 2 rigid was good ul enjoy class 1 even more. And another good thing is that class 1 is bit better payed than class 2, employers look for class 1 more i would say. So if you get money for class 1 go for it mate. You will have more options. As for job… id take it. Its not gona be forever bud :smiley:

I think if I was you I would take it to get some under your belt until something else comes along bit be prepared for long hours and them wanting their pound of flesh. … judging by the wage slips he’s shown you. … and on that note he obviously don’t take data protection and the law to serious

Jimmy_pj:
Passed my mod 4 today and had a load of cv’s ready to go handing out and the first place I went to pretty much offered me a job on the spot, the only thing being is it’s minimum wage for the first 40 hrs then £9ph after that and if you set off Sunday night it’s £10ph. The gaffer showed me all the wage slips for the lads from the last couple if weeks and there all taking home 380-490 quid a week with 3-5 nights out. I need the experience and lucky to get offered a job the first place I’ve tried but it’s the minimum wage thing that’s putting me off. What do you guys think?

Is that including your night out money ?
Are they paying parking ?
DO everything by the book including speed
DO everything on the card.

Yeah that’s including night out money at £21.50 a night.

Jimmy_pj:
Yeah that’s including night out money at £21.50 a night.

To get your foot on the ladder I suppose its better than sitting on your ■■■■ But like I said don’t burn yourself out bending over backwards or pushing the rules for anyone but your own needs.

Oh and try and keep a 15 and a 10hr drive for the end of the week, It can make the difference being home Friday or not.

I think I’ll take the job, it’s gotta look good on my cv that I already drive class 2. I’m not shy of doing the overtime so I’ll just have to work my arse off to make it pay for me. Hopefully it will open doors for bigger and better things.

Good on ya jimmy. Try get your class 1 at some stage as well if its what you want and have the money. It should pay for its self at somestage :smiley:

Take no notice to those saying ‘go for it’ fella.Minimum wage just because you’re a new starter?I don’t think so.Some people have low expectations in this job(which is why it is bollxed mate).You deserve better and at least equal pay. Get your arse registered with as many agencies as possible.Most will say they can’t use you…then will call you in a moment.Take your time & they will keep calling.Just say you have been ‘Shunting’ for years for a family member when they ask about experience & you don’t want to mention the Company.It worked for me.(21yrs on…nothing has changed…except now,I’M THE BOSS).
Good luck.

Yep you can take the job it will give you experience or stay where you are which is :question: go on agency which is very unpredictable

I have worked agency because I have had to but yep been kept busy & dont belive all the things you here about getting a lot more than regular drivers as that dont happen much now you tend to get paid the same as so if regular drivers get $7.75 ( Fowler Welch North East dept ) you tend to get that

If it is low you may be able to get working tax credit ok why should you have yo claim for this you may ask but why not as it does give you other benefits as well as free prescriptions dental care stc

Get yourself on the agency path.Register as a Ltd Co. and expect to be paid £10pr hr+.Of which £9.90 will go straight in your arse pocket.A lot of agencies have very long term contracts.

Plenty of Supermarket work near you mate.24/7 & 364/5 days a year.Happy days! :smiley:

Or take a F/T job (very over rated if you ask me),earn crap wages & watch 1/3 disappear every payday.Bollx to that mate.

Toffeetom:
Get yourself on the agency path.Register as a Ltd Co. and expect to be paid £10pr hr+.Of which £9.90 will go straight in your arse pocket.A lot of agencies have very long term contracts.

If clever about it you wont pay NI or tax either