Should I go for a class 1 fridge job

I work for a highway maintenance company, the wages are pretty ■■■■ and I don’t really have any social or family life in the winter but I’m home every night.
Been offered a job doing fridges tramping 4 on 4 off.
Never done that before and never slept in a cab, big question now is should I go for it or not?

Better to regret something you have done than haven’t done. Go for it. If you don’t like it leave. It really is a binary choice mate.

the maoster:
Better to regret something you have done than haven’t done. Go for it. If you don’t like it leave. It really is a binary choice mate.

I like your thinking.

If you left your current place, on good terms, would they be willing to take you back?

Every job I’ve left, even ones I’ve hated, I’ve always trued to leave on good terms and often get a “if it doesn’t work out youre welcome to come back” kinda thing. Never maee use if the invitation as I’m obvious leaving for a reason, but if you can get that why not try it?

Even if that’s nkt the case, try it anyway. There’s a whole host if jobs out there from tramping to day work on supermarkets so if the fridge work doesn’t fit don’t be afraid to jump ship and trysomething else.

Is it Reed Boardall? . Rumours are they are putting their rate up to £15 an hour in November.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Absolutely…

You should. Out of all the driving jobs I’ve done from ropes, sheets, tippers, machinery and everything else I’ve done (except car transporters and ADR stuff), fridges are the best.

Mainzer:
I work for a highway maintenance company, the wages are pretty [zb] and I don’t really have any social or family life in the winter but I’m home every night.
Never done that before and never slept in a cab, big question now is should I go for it or not?

No

Mainzer:

the maoster:

I like your thinking.

Me too.
If you dont youll always wonder “what if”.
And currently the job situation is in your favour.

toonsy:
Every job I’ve left, even ones I’ve hated, I’ve always trued to leave on good terms and often get a “if it doesn’t work out youre welcome to come back” kinda thing

Good advice there as well.

Only go for fridge job if you can handle the god like status , the fame and the constant women throwing them selves at you…

I found it hard at first but have learned to deal with it over the years

toonsy:
If you left your current place, on good terms, would they be willing to take you back?

Every job I’ve left, even ones I’ve hated, I’ve always trued to leave on good terms and often get a “if it doesn’t work out youre welcome to come back” kinda thing. Never maee use if the invitation as I’m obvious leaving for a reason, but if you can get that why not try it?

Even if that’s nkt the case, try it anyway. There’s a whole host if jobs out there from tramping to day work on supermarkets so if the fridge work doesn’t fit don’t be afraid to jump ship and trysomething else.

This is my second time at the company and there is no way I would get back as they are short on staff as it is, I never know what shift I am on from week to week until the Wednesday or sometimes Thursday of the previous week so 4 on 4 off sounds good to me.
It is the going into a new class 1 role just as the clocks are about to change and never driven an artic in winter conditions that is the worrying thing for me, typical me not thinking about doing this in the good weather.

Mainzer:
I work for a highway maintenance company, the wages are pretty [zb] and I don’t really have any social or family life in the winter but I’m home every night.

4 on 4 off sounds good But could you sleep with a fridge running right beside you,

The Mexican:
Is it Reed Boardall? . Rumours are they are putting their rate up to £15 an hour in November.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

No it isn’t reed boardall, I have read a few reviews for them but they weren’t very good but they are advertising near me

Fridge work is easy, 9 times out of 10 back on a bay and let them crack on, much easier than curtainsiders, I did a bit of that work whilst on furlough last year, opening and closing curtains, strapping loads down in the freezing cold and pouring rain isn’t fun !

mr bluecity:
Fridge work is easy, 9 times out of 10 back on a bay and let them crack on, much easier than curtainsiders, I did a bit of that work whilst on furlough last year, opening and closing curtains, strapping loads down in the freezing cold and pouring rain isn’t fun !

my mate does this work and says it is easy clean work, I don’t mind doing a bit of work and don’t want to turn into a tellytubby lol

the maoster:
Better to regret something you have done than haven’t done.e.

Except for that time I put my trousers on my head and ran around.

Chilled is good, but I wouldn’t be so keen on frozen.

Santa:
Chilled is good, but I wouldn’t be so keen on frozen.

That’s a good point, two very different beasts. For those who don’t know, chilled products usually have to be tipped quickly in order to get on the shelves before they lose their “fresh” label. Frozen however has no such urgency about it and consequently can take hours to be tipped.

It all depends upon the drivers mentality tbh. I do frozen only and am quite content to sit around for hours as my reasoning is that I’m getting paid the same amount to sit there reading my Kindle as I’d get out on the road battling with the Herbert’s! I also reason that as a tramper the pressure is off to get home etc and all that their delays at tipping points does is change the view from my bedroom window that I had planned for that night.

I’m of a different side of the frozen coin either RDC trunking own site to own site where timed don’t really matter, or to the odd stores where the only problems you get is getting stuck behind a decker tipping and reloading. But paid by the hour so… …

toonsy:
I’m of a different side of the frozen coin either RDC trunking own site to own site where timed don’t really matter, or to the odd stores where the only problems you get is getting stuck behind a decker tipping and reloading. But paid by the hour so… …

you not had the pleasure of ariving 2 mins behind a double decker fully loaded when you have 2 cages for them. then when they have tipped the decker and loaded it decide its thier break time.

cooper1203:

toonsy:

you not had the pleasure of ariving 2 mins behind a double decker fully loaded when you have 2 cages for them. then when they have tipped the decker and loaded it decide its thier break time.

Ain’t that the truth story of my life at the moment :unamused: