Should I change job

Hi guys I’ve been looking at this forum for a while and it’s been a great help.
I’m currently working as a welder 40 hours a week and and my monthly take home pay is £1400 but I do have a class 1 Hgv which I was thinking of using it I would like to be taking home £1800 would it be possible if I go into lorry driving.

Just remember lorry driving is something you do because you want to do it, the money isn’t bad (I earn about £550ish take home) per week for 5 days no nights (but weekends). It’s the best thing I have done, it depends how much you like you mon-fri regular hours. In my opinion do it :slight_smile:

Ok thanks. Iv always wanted to be a lorry driver since I was at school. But I just found a job I liked welding but it went under so out of my redundancy money I done my c+e licence but Iv just got stuck in another welding job which is easy to be fair but I do want more money now so thinking the lorry driving may be the way forward :slight_smile:

I’ve just started a career in driving myself, I left a good job but I like being on the road and no two days are the same. I worked in a factory type environment and I much prefer my own company and music on the button [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shauntucker09:
Ok thanks. Iv always wanted to be a lorry driver since I was at school. But I just found a job I liked welding but it went under so out of my redundancy money I done my c+e licence but Iv just got stuck in another welding job which is easy to be fair but I do want more money now so thinking the lorry driving may be the way forward :slight_smile:

If you dont mind working 10/12 hour shifts, unsociable hours and weekends go for it :wink:

If you want Monday to Friday 9 to 5 find another career :wink:

Will you get the opportunity to earn more than £1400 take home?
Yes

Will you have to work more than 40 hours, and have irregular shift patterns?
Likely

Will it be a good move for you?
Only you can tell buddy

Good luck!

And now the verbose version of what F-reds is saying! :laughing:

With a quick mental calculation, I’d suggest £1400 for 40 hours is about the same for both jobs…
What you’ll get with driving though is the ability to do more hours, whether you like it or not! :laughing:
When the hours are regular, the starts are generally very early, so you’ll be going to bed at the same time as the kids, if you have any…

Basically what I’m saying is: Do you want a shift in your work/life balance towards earning more money, at the cost of your social or family life? :open_mouth:

Your call, and I’m not trying to put you off, just telling you like it is…

Best of luck! :smiley:

I quit welding/fabricating 10 years ago,to become a lorry driver.
Worked for me.

Evil8Beezle:
And now the verbose version of what F-reds is saying! :laughing:

With a quick mental calculation, I’d suggest £1400 for 40 hours is about the same for both jobs…
What you’ll get with driving though is the ability to do more hours, whether you like it or not! :laughing:
When the hours are regular, the starts are generally very early, so you’ll be going to bed at the same time as the kids, if you have any…

Basically what I’m saying is: Do you want a shift in your work/life balance towards earning more money, at the cost of your social or family life? :open_mouth:

Your call, and I’m not trying to put you off, just telling you like it is…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Exactly this, I gave up factory work after 16 years in the same job to do longer more irregular hours for not a great increase in hourly rate but weekly take home is alot more. Also on the plus side is I love the job I do now (most of the time :laughing: ) and I don’t work weekends, bank holidays and have just had a good Christmas break, home life in the week definitely suffers but at the moment I have a very understanding wife :smiley:

You can deffinetly earn the money you want to, as said above though you have to put the hours in… I do two nights out a week, sometimes just one and weekends are optional and my wage is pretty good for the area.

Depends if you want the lifestyle of guessing when you will be home’ instead of knowing you finish at 4 or 5

It’s the should I jump or not thing bloody horrible to be honest.

BUT here’s a thought,book a week off work sign up with an agency and tell em what’s what and you want a weeks work to see if its for you,plenty of posts on here about newbies thinking its all Eddie stobarts ■■■■ and trailers easy but it ain’t not by a long way believe me,crap traffic useless planners god awful places to find and get into let alone 15 hour days stuck somewhere with no grub drink or anything.
Not trying to put you off but as said being a driving superstar is what you want to be not just because of more money coz it will bite you on the bum if your not carefull.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I do think lorry driving could be for me it seems great to be out in a lorry all different times of the day :smiley:

Shauntucker09:
Thanks for all the great replies guys. I do think lorry driving could be for me it seems great to be out in a lorry all different times of the day :smiley:

Hi Shaun.
Not trying to put you off sorry if it sounded that way,as done different jobs before driving there’s nothing I would rather do now tbh,tipped in Hereford Xmas eve not the best road from Worcester in the dark but coming back just as it was getting light with no 1 else about its roads like that you drive trucks for a living,where abouts are you as someone on here could recommend a place to try.

No that’s ok I understand some people seem to love it others hate it. As for where I’m living to I’m in Taunton Somerset

Shauntucker09:
No that’s ok I understand some people seem to love it others hate it. As for where I’m living to I’m in Taunton Somerset

If you live in Taunton you could try Gregory in cullompton they give newbies a start best of luck

Sent from mTalk

Thanks. I have managed to get on with Keedwells as a weekend driver so I can start getting some experience :smiley:

All good wish you all the best[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from mTalk

Shauntucker09:
Thanks. I have managed to get on with Keedwells as a weekend driver so I can start getting some experience :smiley:

I would mention two words at this point - Weekly Rest.

No scary stories about having your door kicked in by DVSA or your family being taken out and shot (although some participants hereabouts will do so anyway), but just keep in mind how things are supposed to work…

Agree with the above. Yes you can get away with doing weekend work as well as another job in the week. But the second you have a serious accident and investigations are made, you’re going to be up crap creek in cornflake canoe…

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

Thanks for the advice guys. I have also been offered an interview at the samworth brothers for a full time job so I could end up with a few different choices. Seems like there is a lot of work out there even for the newbies