jimmy2loads:
at least £500 a week for diesel:

Really? i put £300 a day in mine!!

Koop:

jimmy2loads:
at least £500 a week for diesel:

Really? i put £300 a day in mine!!

'kin ell :open_mouth:

what you driving and what you pulling to use that much?

i do normally on average about 1000 litres per week

Scania 470 bulk tipper running around local 44t all the time!!! :laughing:

THAT’S WHY!! :wink:

still seems a bit heavy on fuel, but then again, i heard them scanny 470’s were like that

Yeah on town work…rubbish! Bit of M/way work and its good really. When i was doing box work, carry feathers for pillow factory’s! 9+ :laughing:

Doing bulker work around town at 44t most of the time…down to 6 to 7 :unamused:

i am runnoing an XF430 SSC on containers, varied weights, usually 35 tonne or more, average fuel between 9 and 9.5MPG.

if i run constantly fully freighted at 44 tonne each way, i can get approx 8.8 to 9.

think i’ll stick to my little DAF :smiley:

how is it you calculate your qoutes/tenders lads, or does the forwarder/tenderer give you a price to accept/decline? is there a £ per mile etc

kind regards

woody

it all depends on what work you are doing and who you are doing it for.

i am on the boxes with a large container company and they pay pence per mile, most of the curtiansiders pay job rate, this is for dedicated subbies

if you were to work for a company on an ad hoc basis, you may get better rates for “getting them out of it”

in which case, you could give them a rate, be it for the job or per mile, which ever will work better in your favour

what i did was set up a ltd company then got a hsbc bank account, put 8 grand in, wait 3 months get an o licence, find an accountant with free first appointment, ask hsbc for 20k overdraft and bobs your uncle, ive got 2 artics but would rather stay as owner driver coz employees are little buggers

chunkytransport:
what i did was set up a ltd company then got a hsbc bank account, put 8 grand in, wait 3 months get an o licence, find an accountant with free first appointment, ask hsbc for 20k overdraft and bobs your uncle, ive got 2 artics but would rather stay as owner driver coz employees are little buggers

ive got 3 trucks and ii second that about employees :confused:

i think im right in saying £6200 is for the o licence for your first truck and an olicence is not transferable between trucks so if your truck was to break down and be off the road for an amount time you couldnt just hop into another unless you showed or have a further £3400 worth of funds avaliable sure its called a margin

lee mat:
i think im right in saying £6200 is for the o licence for your first truck and an olicence is not transferable between trucks so if your truck was to break down and be off the road for an amount time you couldnt just hop into another unless you showed or have a further £3400 worth of funds avaliable sure its called a margin

sort of…

you are allowed to run a truck for 1 month without having to inform VOSA of a change of vehicle

from what i understand, you are technically correct with what you have said, but in some circumstances, you can get away with it

jimmy2loads:
Hi PJL, you will need an awful lot of capital to start off with, at least £500 a week for diesel, depending on how well maintained your vehicle is, you will need to factor in running costs, then there is tax, insurance, wages for yourself, plus you will need to show VOSA that you have the required financial standing (available capital to make sure that you and your vehicle are well maintained and legal) for when you apply for an operators licence.

You will probably have to survive for at least 3 months, before any money comes in, so you will need at least £10,000 to support you and your business.

Hope this helps you.

And dont go and try to pinch my work. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dont pinch my work lol

Yes you must do it or you will always regret it, you wont become a millionare but you can make a decent living if you can get the right work from people who pay on time. I hope to become an O/D next year once Ive saved some money up to support myself until the money comes in. I would take the advice the other guys have said as they should no.Im going to pull other companies trailers, try and find the firms who dont charge trailer hire as that can save you a few hundred pounds a week, if you are going to do container work you might be able to buy your own skeletal trailer, there are loads about and you can pick them up cheap. I wish you the best of luck.

Hi, sorry to but in but the days of running a truck for a month without informing vosa are long gone, this was to stop people running ten on a licence for three (as if!), with the internet and them wee hand held gizmos that vosa have you need to show any trucks your operating wlth immediate effect, and as for employees being little buggers, i 3rd that!

just a wee note to colinfiwhitetrans, sorry bout the coffee at waltham point but you know the craic, your on £15ph sitting on the bay an im getting nowt, 20p is a lot in the current climate an singin an dancing V8,s dont grow on trees…

kind regards

Lrm…

BigE:
Im going to pull other companies trailers

Just out of interest how much on average would you get a week for pulling other company’s trailers from somebody like Gregory Distribution Ltd :question: . :smiley:

removalboy:

BigE:

Just out of interest how much on average would you get a week for pulling other company’s trailers from somebody like Gregory Distribution Ltd :question: . :smiley:

you would earn the same per week if you pulled your own trailer whilst working for these companies, the difference is, most companies charge a “trailer hire” fee, this is usually around the £100 per week area

something you will also have to consider, a lot of these companies that you “hire” a trailer from, will still charge you for tyre blow outs :open_mouth: and driver abuse type of damage

shuttlespanker:

removalboy:

BigE:

you would earn the same per week if you pulled your own trailer whilst working for these companies, the difference is, most companies charge a “trailer hire” fee, this is usually around the £100 per week area

something you will also have to consider, a lot of these companies that you “hire” a trailer from, will still charge you for tyre blow outs :open_mouth: and driver abuse type of damage

But how much would you get on average if you had your own trailer :question: :smiley: I’m just interested. :smiley:

it all depends on the type of work you are doing and the pay structure of the jobs

I see :smiley: