Should I be paid?

Worked for a large company before xmas. Did an assessment and induction. No problem. Was told that my assessment carries for any site of that company - and I simply need to do an induction.

Then went travelling.

Got back a few days ago - to a different part of the country. Same company and agency have a site near me so I made a call. Was told how ‘glowing’ my reports were (which I do not believe). And was told all I needed was an induction. It was confirmed via text I’d be paid.

However when I got to the induction I had to wait about 40 mins in reception as they were busy. Then I met trainer. Who asked me some questions. Which included how long I’d had my licence. He didn’t like that I’d had my class 1 licence less than a year. So I was sent home. Given both the company and the agency have copies of my licence I don’t see how this is my problem tbh.

Now… the agency (a really big well known one) are saying I won’t be paid my 8 hours. So in effect I wasted a few hours of my own time and about £10 in petrol.

So more senior drivers - under these circumstances would I be unreasonable to kick off and demand some dosh? There is a fly in the ointment, they are such a big agency I don’t really want to fall out with them big time.

sammym:
So more senior drivers - under these circumstances would I be unreasonable to kick off and demand some dosh? There is a fly in the ointment, they are such a big agency I don’t really want to fall out with them big time.

I’d demand the…

Payment they agreed to. The way I see it, they’ve had you over once and on that basis alone they’re not worth working for, regardless of how big they are. They’ve also told you that because you only have a years worth they wouldn’t use you anyway. You have nothing to lose.

If they continue to withold the payment then go straight to Money Claim Online and chase them that way. You have all the proof you need in the form of a text.

dont erase the text

yourhavingalarf:

sammym:

I’d demand the…

Payment they agreed to. The way I see it, they’ve had you over once and on that basis alone they’re not worth working for, regardless of how big they are. They’ve also told you that because you only have a years worth they wouldn’t use you anyway. You have nothing to lose.

If they continue to withold the payment then go straight to Money Claim Online and chase them that way. You have all the proof you need in the form of a text.

dont erase the text

Won’t be erasing anything mate.

The thing is… I could work for the company again. In a month. Or at the old depot tomorrow night if I wanted.

And it’s the agency I’m worried about upsetting. Rather than the large supermarket. Because I’m in for an assessment with another large supermarket with them tomorrow lunch time.

I’ve sent off a very long email - outlining my complaint and also pointing out the ludicrousness of it. I can go to the site in Brum and drive to that depot. Reverse on a bay. And then drive off. But I can’t work from that depot. It’s ridiculous. I also pointed out that if I’d spent another 5 weeks riding a motorbike around Asia I’d be able to work there no problem… Not sure how that would make me a better class 1 driver. None of that is important to them paying me - but I can’t understand why they can’t apply some common sense.

I doubt I’d take it to court. Everything inside me would want to. But the bigger picture is I wouldn’t want to ■■■■ off the biggest agency in the country, nor would I want to make myself banned from every site for that supermarket in the country. We shall see what they say - but I have a feeling they will wash their hands of it.

IMO, yes you should be paid.

I suspect from the agencies pov, they did what you did, presume that because you worked at one site, you could work at another. Makes sense to me and it may be that either the first site are in breach of company policy/so desperate as long as you had a pulse they’d let you drive or that the trainer at the second site is reading the rules from 1994 not 2019/.is a total jobsworth.

However, he has knocked you back and as with you, do I want to annoy a big customer, the agency are in exactly the same position. The trainer has knocked you back and said that he isn’t going to pay you because the agency should know (maybe they should/maybe they shouldn’t) that they won’t accept under 1 year experience. The agency won’t make waves and demand payment and therefore not willing to lose money by paying you.

Personally I’d go as far as you have done, write a polite e-mail pointing out nicely that it’s not your problem and hope it pans out. After that I’d squeeze the odd half hour or hour onto the job and get your hours back that way. I don’t normally advocating hanging the job out, but I’m old school and if I’d said I’d pay ou, then I’d pay you and take the loss myself - I expect the rest of the world to do the same!

Thanks Albion.

In this rare case - I’d be ‘happy’ as a gesture of goodwill if they covered my fuel and the couple of hours I was on site. Everyone is happy then.

But I feel you are totally right with how the business works. And I’ll just have to ■■■■ it up.

yes you should be paid by the agency as it’s their agreement with you and not an agreement between you and the worksite. However despite being the same company (client) If you’d be allowed to work there despite having worked at another of their site is a different kettle of fish, different sites have (or operate) different rules, and more importantly a different set of pointy shoes behind the desk deciding what is, and what isn’t allowed on site.
So you may have to take this one on the chin, for fear of biting the hand that feeds you. But there are subtle ways of clawing back the lost money if you go back onsite working for the same company

I sent an M-col claim to an agency. The minute the county court paperwork landed on their doorstep I was paid plus expenses.

Two weeks later I got a phone call asking if I wanted work, which obviously I turned down.

dont let it go

or the resentment at being diddled will fester ,its easy to get bitter and later,years later praps end up taking it out on someone else

thats the root of a lot of road rage incidents ,old resentment/injustices