Shortest mileage per shift?

what you had. 2 years ago i had shift with just some 5 miles.

Probably about the same as me 2 weeks ago, i took 2 trailers the mile and a bit to Asda (obviously one at a time) to be tipped so Asda being Asda that worked out at about 3 hrs a trailer and then done some shunting cover for a bit then went home and struggled to sleep that night as had about 4 hrs at Asda. Might sound like heaven to some but it was torture really at least they let you stay in your cab.

Got about 200 yds from the depot to get a loud warning buzzer for air pressure. Back to depot. Needs a part which wont be available till tomorrow. No other trucks. “Sorry mate,nothing else for you”. Total mileage about half a mile,if that. Got sent home and paid full shift (Im agency). That was a stressful day that one!

4 round trips across the road dropping off cardboard bales in a flat 8 hour shift. :cry: Total distance - 4.8km, 3 miles.

(Firmin-DS Smith, Kemsley)

Parked overnight at M1 J13 truckstop. Started 0100, drove over the motorway to a warehouse to be parked in the standby area. Reported to traffic, given a pager, told to wait and be paged. Checked back 0500 but no change. Stayed until 0700 then paged to office, went in and told that I’d done my ‘early doors standby shift’ and that was it, done for the day, come back 0200 the next day.

Drove back over to the J13 truckstop and parked up until the following day.

After the following day the boss requested I run down to Luton and back up to charge the batteries a bit :wink:

Did that for 4 days. Went through quite a few books :wink:

Does zero count? Used to do standby shifts when I worked with TNT Newsfast. Hardly ever got sent out. Usually sent home after a few hours and paid for a full shift.[emoji1] [emoji1]

on sunday i did 2 runs and neither were outside the local area. 30 minutes driving and they had to give me trivial tasks to keep me there for 8 hours so i didnt get paid less

During the snowy weather in 2010, kept in depot for 3 days = 0 miles

NFT yard in London Colney to Sainsbury’s store in London Colney,10 hour day :wink:

Got a call one afternoon asking if I could go and move a few trailers onto the bay’s, ready for Sunday loading…they said they’d pay me 6hrs o/t, as it was a Friday night (my night off) and it should only take about 1-1.5hrs. Got there and moved 3, took about 45mins total and drove nearly 100 yards…only drag 'em from fence, screw em round and back em onto the bay!

Was talking to a driver in Nissan Sunderland one night can’t remember the name of the company, light blue curtainsiders. Anyway he was saying they just tip and reload trailers from one part of the factory to another part of the factory twice or three times a shift and then go home. He could have been talking ■■■■ but if it is true it must be one of the handiest jobs going.

many years ago now did a shift for sandy bruce dropped trailer in there yard next day got asked to drive from outside the yard report to the office …nothing doing so drove back outside parked up for three days easiest three days I ever did no wonder they ceased trading

Im pretty sure back in the 80s they paid the drivers too sit with there unit and trailer on a bay at Cowley so just in case the line broke down ,they could load a trailer quickly and move it round the other side with out delaying the line .

I am sure some times the drivers did not couple up or move at all until the end of there shift , boring for me but easy money .

They had lots of brand new Leyland Cruisers on the job with night heaters fitted from new , these wagons never left the plant .

Driver-Once-More:
During the snowy weather in 2010, kept in depot for 3 days = 0 miles

a previous gaffer told me in a really bad winter in the '6os,their small fleet of tippers didn’t turn a wheel for several weeks!

Once did a nightshift at P&G Thurrock, did one trailer into Tesco, Thurrock got back to yard and they asked “are you feeling tired driver?”…Well, maybe a little bit…“Well go and get your head down and we’ll give you a knock when it’s time to go home”
Easiest night of my life :laughing: :laughing:

8km moving trailers with concrete balcony’s to and from a crane on site at Cheltenham Racecourse for their new stand.

wing-nut:
Once did a nightshift at P&G Thurrock, did one trailer into Tesco, Thurrock got back to yard and they asked “are you feeling tired driver?”…Well, maybe a little bit…“Well go and get your head down and we’ll give you a knock when it’s time to go home”
Easiest night of my life :laughing: :laughing:

…but you had a rigid with no bunk, and a night heater that didn’t work. :frowning: :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue:

used to do shunting in nissan and depending on what you were doing it was anything from 4km too a near impossible 7km a shift

Winseer:
…but you had a rigid with no bunk, and a night heater that didn’t work. :frowning: :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I had a nice new Renault sleeper, only two weeks old

Landrover Solihull. Shifting Ewals trailers from the holding areas to be loaded or unloaded then dropped off…

Spent a lot of time waiting…