Short-term insurance for 7.5 tonner

Sorted! :smiley:
I now have a vehicle arranged through Ryder. :sunglasses:
Mind, it 's worked out as about double the costs for a UK-only rental but we’ll still save a packet compared with the other options. :sunglasses:

Dr Dubya:
Cheers guys, I’ll try Peers Insurance tomorrow, easirent is a bit far from my location in Yorkshire

Try Exchange Self Drive in Doncaster - we hired a 7.5t to move a relative to France a couple of years ago with no problems at all.

Giblsa:

MrFlibble:
Some trucks which have digital tachos are wired up so that you can’t start them unless you have a digital tacho card in. If you haven’t got a card, it might be worth getting one :wink:

im not doubting you on this but what about if you lose your card or its damaged? surely they cant do this legally?

Why not? It’s their truck.

It’s supposed to cut down on theft - after all, unless they manage to bypass the tacho so that it will start without a card, the tacho will record which card was used to start it, which potentially makes it easier to track down the thief, as well as making it more difficult to steal in the first place.

MrFlibble:
Some trucks which have digital tachos are wired up so that you can’t start them unless you have a digital tacho card in. If you haven’t got a card, it might be worth getting one :wink:

I dont doubt the technology for this exists, the Americans set foot on the moon allegedly, but I believe this statement is listed in the greatest driver myths list, for several reasons.

• Hire company internal drivers are exempt from keeping driver records when delivering, washing, fueling, parking or maintaining trucks.

• An organisation such as the Royal Mail or Argos want to hire several 7.5 tonne vehicles for the Christmas rush, the shunters who are loading these trucks on the night shift, don’t need digital cards, so unless the regular drivers left their cards :question: in, the trucks could not be moved around the depot.

• A hire company that did this would be biting the hand that feeds them, as most people intent on stealing a truck, will also steal some ID like a digi card and your utility bills.

Wheel Nut:

MrFlibble:

I dont doubt the technology for this exists, the Americans set foot on the moon allegedly, but I believe this statement is listed in the greatest driver myths list, for several reasons.

Well, if it is in the “greatest driver myths list”, then someone needs to re-write the list. We’ve had trucks wired that way on convoy.

For the benefit of anyone else doing an overseas self-move, check out Ferry Logistics for the sea part of your journey, I saved almost £100 compared with Norfolkline’s freight booking service. :sunglasses:

Dr Dubya:
For the benefit of anyone else doing an overseas self-move, check out Ferry Logistics for the sea part of your journey, I saved almost £100 compared with Norfolkline’s freight booking service. :sunglasses:

That’s worth knowing. Thanks Doc. Norfolk weren’t bad to begin with, last time I used them with 7.5 tonner they were almost 50% cheaper than P & O.