Short term driving without digicard?

Hi all,

Apologies if I’m covering old ground here, but I had a search and couldn’t find an answer to my query. I’ve recently bought another lorry and its our first to have a digital tacho, and I’ve never had a digi card before. I’ve have already applied for the digi card a number of weeks ago, but would like to start using the lorry immediately, is it possible to drive without a card if I’ve not held one before while the application is being processed? I’ve read that you can drive for 15 days ish without a card if the one you have is faulty etc…

gwmckay:
Hi all,

Apologies if I’m covering old ground here, but I had a search and couldn’t find an answer to my query. I’ve recently bought another lorry and its our first to have a digital tacho, and I’ve never had a digi card before. I’ve have already applied for the digi card a number of weeks ago, but would like to start using the lorry immediately, is it possible to drive without a card if I’ve not held one before while the application is being processed? I’ve read that you can drive for 15 days ish without a card if the one you have is faulty etc…

Legally you can only drive for 15 days if the card is lost/stolen or faulty, if you don’t have a driver card (as you don’t) you cannot legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph.

Also, I could be wrong but I think that unless the vehicle is on lease you need a company card to register the vehicle to your companies name before using it.

gwmckay:
Hi all,

The answer is no!

If you have applied for a card and you already had a photo licence it should only take two or three days to arrive. Ring the DVLA on Monday morning.

tachograph:

gwmckay:
Hi all,

Legally you can only drive for 15 days if the card is lost/stolen or faulty, if you don’t have a driver card (as you don’t) you cannot legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph.

Also, I could be wrong but I think that unless the vehicle is on lease you need a company card to register the vehicle to your companies name before using it.

the company card is used for downloading the head unit and locking the information in there so that no one else can access it if you sell the vehicle

the OP will need a company card for doing the download, as well as the driver card for driving the vehicle