Short period license advice needed

Hi all, first time poster here.

Basically, I’ve done all theory parts of my license and the medical. Unfortunately, the medical states a long bout of depression about 5-6 years ago after a bad few years (won’t go for the sob story. Not my style) so I’ve got a Short Period Driving License which is 3 years compared to the standard 5 years.

My questions regarding this are;

Is the 3 year license an issue for prospective employers hiring new drivers? Is this effectively a red flag? Is it really that big an issue somethign that happened many many years ago?

And this one for the people overseeing the drivers or hiring process or people in charge of driving companies; what are your honest thoughts regarding hiring a new guy with this license?

Should/can I appeal it?

Many thanks for your replies and thoughts on this.

I doubt if having a short period licence will be an issue - you are more likely to come up against the 2 year experience (holding it for 2 years) issue

If you are under age 45 then it might flag up a warning to some employers because most under that age will have expiry dates between the ages of 45 and 50

The one thing with a short term licence if you are over age 45 is that you get to do the D4 medical every 6 years and not every 5 because when you go for the specific issue which determines the short term licence is gets reset for another 3 years

My case as an example - glaucoma right eye only
D4 done in 2008 at age 45 - expiry 2011
Eye only check in 2011 - expiry 2014
EH!! - that is 6 years from the last D4 but I have a letter from DVLA stating that it is the way their system works … ok then :smiley:

Few people know how to check a licence properly so it’s possible it wouldn’t even be noticed. Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As pete says just dont advertise expiry/renewal date you dont have to tell companies as far as i am aware

i realise this is a bit late but work got in the way. i have been on a 3 year licence for 12 years all it means is that you are more likely to be fitter to drive than a lot of other drivers that have not reached 45 or have 5 yearly checks on their health. as you will be monitered more frequently.

There is a member on here that is a o 1 year licence DVLA send the forms out & they dont have to pay for the medical like the rest of us do as DVLA pay for it

Thanks all for the advice and opinions! Much appreciated! :smiley: