Shopping mall deliveries

Did the designer of truck unloading areas think you could get artics in to spaces and yards designed for a Ford Transit.
Sometimes all the Suzies on the trailer have to be taken out,then turn on the trailer shunt button to get out of these stupid places they call retail centres.
If cars are parked,you are stuffed.
Do designers consult anyone in transport to see how much room we need?

My favourite (by that I mean worst one) was the Mander Centre in Wolverhampton.

First you have to raise the suspension on the unit to get it over the ridge on the entrance without catching the trailer legs. Then as soon as you are on the entrance ramp dump all the air out of unit/trailer to creep down under the sprinkler system.

When on a bay I used to sit dreading any vehicles coming in cos they invariably parked somewhere which meant you couldn’t do the u turn at the bottom which was hard enough when trying to just avoid pillars let alone a van.

the simple answer is, If you cant drive into the loading / unloading area with the vehicle in its normal driving position then don’t go there … easier said I know but if you say NO then that’s that … by only saying No will things change … you can be sure that someone had disconnected all their suzies and forgot to reconnect after only to realise later on the road ,

St Johns centre in Liverpool is another one and luton have to put the trailer on the bay then split the unit and park next to the trailer otherwise you will block the road a right PITA.
Watched pound world artics trying to get in the mander centre before looks a nightmare having to drive past reverse down the road opposite then drive slowly down the ramp, one guy tried to turn off the road hit the nearside wall nearly got stuck.
We do 1 in fleet walk Torquay thats an only just getting in and out with a 40ft.

Asda in Trowbridge is a small yard.A 360 degree turn without hitting all the equipment and junk in the turning circle.
Asda in Weymouth,not any better.
A driver upset them so we were all banned to use their scissor lift.
I was told it was broken and it was used as a storage area.
Unloading took longer using the tail lift.

The Mall in Blackburn is another fine example. Unless you have some prior knowledge before going in, you are pretty certain to get into a pickle in anything 18T+ with a long body. Following the signposted one way system is no good as there are corners you simply won’t get around, you need to make up your own route to the bay your after, which can involve going the wrong way round and reversing up roads. NIghtmare of a place.

toby1234abc:
Asda in Trowbridge is a small yard.A 360 degree turn without hitting all the equipment and junk in the turning circle.

In that case if it was me who wasn’t allowed to use the scissor lift. I would refuse to do it. I would ring the office and tell them that the correct and practical equipment is not readily available. I bet all of a sudden it would be ‘fixed’

htfc1984:

toby1234abc:

In that case if it was me who wasn’t allowed to use the scissor lift. I would refuse to do it. I would ring the office and tell them that the correct and practical equipment is not readily available. I bet all of a sudden it would be ‘fixed’

i’d just make sure i’d take my time then ay oops I need to stop for my WTD break :wink:

Those milk cages are lethal and can do damage if runs away.
If the previous driver had left empty cages,you may have about 50 or more to bring back as the manager will say his yard has no room.
Then there is the manager that says what took you so long to get there as the regular driver gets there on time.

Or when they build a brand new "supermarket " & give you 40ft for the bay then wonder why you cant get on

It’s just a fact of life with these places. Most of them are generally okayish for a competent driver if there wasn’t the staff cars parked everywhere and empty cages and crap left all round the yard randomly.

It’s like goods in yards at different B&Qs around the country from the one in Dover where you could build another B&Q in the goods in area to ones like at Brighton and Havant where you couldn’t swing a cat around :unamused:
Also why is it they know they have got deliveries coming in yet decide to leave loads of shiiite around the yard making it even harder?! :imp:
Also the goods in staff vary from little Hitlers to sound blokes who will tip you whenever you turn up but the little Hitlers won’t tip your one pallet at 16:15 as he’s off to the pub, mow the lawn, bugger the dog when he ■■■■■■ off at 16:30! :confused:

I had to use a hiab on a 26t 6 wheeler in one of these underground mall carparks the other day. Think yourselfs lucky you could use the loading dock :laughing:

“Shopping malls”
Good grief,they will calling lorries “trucks” next :unamused:

I think it’s funny when drivers assume that the rest of the Charlies out there give a flying zb about them or their job:lol:

WHY is there always a shift change during the busiest time of the evening for deliveries?

WHY is your run the ‘only one scheduled to collect rubbish’?

WHY is the tail lift always wonky, and lowers in a manner that gives you that “wobble and fall off” feeling?

WHY were you given a 40’ trailer when you really need a rear-wheel steer “urban” trailer to get in an entrance the size of a lock-up garage?

WHY do the bay staff go on break when you turn up with a load that’s all for them, it’s friday night, and you’re already 12 hours into a shift?

Fork lift drivers that run away when you pull in.
Goods in staff that say we have not ordered this.
It is a day early,or a day late.
The delivery is a major inconvenience to all involved,as they want to go home early and made plans to take the cat out for a walk or wash the wheelbarrow at the car wash.

Do it once then next time piece of cake bit like any job really involving trucks

^^^^ that’s just it - “store deliveries” especially in London are all about unloading/reloading with crap meaning that you spend about 2 hours a shift driving, and 10 hours doing dustcart duty or pivoting dollies over a dock leveller that’s like a continental shelf off the end… :imp:

If you want to spend more time in the cab than on the back of your own wagon (which isn’t even allowed in some yards - odd that inconsitency eh?) - you really need to get some distance work that involves a skill not many others have - like the ability to work nights, weekends, and shifts over 12 hours…
Forget Hiabs, Moffets, Roping and sheeting… A bod is required for the job that will just get on and do it. Senior drivers aspire to actually driving for most of their shift. Newbies can get valuable experience of how crappy the job can be - by starting on multidrop deliveries in a major city like London… :bulb:

Winseer:
^^^^ that’s just it - “store deliveries” especially in London are all about unloading/reloading with crap meaning that you spend about 2 hours a shift driving, and 10 hours doing dustcart duty or pivoting dollies over a dock leveller that’s like a continental shelf off the end… :imp:

If you want to spend more time in the cab than on the back of your own wagon (which isn’t even allowed in some yards - odd that inconsitency eh?) - you really need to get some distance work that involves a skill not many others have - like the ability to work nights, weekends, and shifts over 12 hours…
Forget Hiabs, Moffets, Roping and sheeting… A bod is required for the job that will just get on and do it. Senior drivers aspire to actually driving for most of their shift. Newbies can get valuable experience of how crappy the job can be - by starting on multidrop deliveries in a major city like London… :bulb:

I do store deliveries on nights, because I don’t do traffic and am not keen on early mornings, but don’t do weekends, shifts over 12 hours or doss in lay-bys because I don’t want to - nothing to do with not having the ‘ability to’. I have done all of the above and not enjoyed it. You have to do the hours that suit you best and give you the best work life balance.