Shipping out of and into Poole

So, back in the day you’re waiting for the ferry at Poole and you’ve got a bit of time to kill – did anyone go and look at (and even photograph) the WW II landing craft(s) that were (and still are) rusting away?

The image below is from 2000 and shows the hulks just a short distance across the water from a ferry.

This link has some interesting info and photos about the craft, including one with a Truckline ferry in the background, dated about 1984:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1873469

There’s also some comments on that link from just over a year ago relating to the current state of Poole similar to those on here.

That’s the old original linkspan before the new one was built further up the dock , it was a busy port then , I bet many of those trailers are GB Express ones ( as they were at that time before changing to GBE), Now mainly LKW drop trailers.

The first pic shows the landing craft and before the ferry terminal extension that was being completed in the second photo.

DEANB:
The first pic shows the landing craft and before the ferry terminal extension that was being completed in the second photo.

Great pictures DEANB, thank you. The landing craft look like they may even be floating in the top picture.

The second photo really shows how the port land mass has expanded, and of course it has expanded even further with the new jetty by the marina. The position of the new jetty, and the way it seems to narrow the entrance to the marina, does make me wonder how much longer the craft will be there for.

Don’t know if anyone’s aware, but Jose Rola passed away about three weeks ago, Joe being the R of R&G from Poole. He was a bloody good boss. As was Richard Geary. The G of R&G. Rest in peace boss.

That Bar Steward you just mentioned still owes freight charges to DIT for a load of chocolate we transported to Faro for R&G which he gave to us the week before he went bust knowing the fact the company was at its end, a dirty trick in any body’s book, hope its very hot where he is going, Buzzer

A couple of pics showing the construction of the Truckline ferry terminal that was started in 1972. Click on once to read.

poole truckline 72.PNG

shady:
Don’t know if anyone’s aware, but Jose Rola passed away about three weeks ago, Joe being the R of R&G from Poole. He was a bloody good boss. As was Richard Geary. The G of R&G. Rest in peace boss.

Happy days then.
You two or three lads were well looked after at one time.
I only met Joe the once, and his daughter a few times at the Lisboa office, but no complaints from me.
Buzzer still owes me a cupotea though!

:smiley:

DEANB:
A couple of pics showing the construction of the Truckline ferry terminal that was started in 1972. Click on once to read.

Well done Dean for finding these pics as this is where this stream all started. I used to have a tipper and used to do 7 loads a day from worth matravers Swanworth Quarries to the Truckline site even during the summer with all the groccle traffic. Little did I know at the time that later on I would ship out through here to Spain and Portugal and other countries. Happy days and good memories thanks again Mate for keeping us going.

geoff luther:
Well done Dean for finding these pics as this is where this stream all started. I used to have a tipper and used to do 7 loads a day from worth matravers Swanworth Quarries to the Truckline site even during the summer with all the groccle traffic. Little did I know at the time that later on I would ship out through here to Spain and Portugal and other countries. Happy days and good memories thanks again Mate for keeping us going.

Long time no speak Geoff, are you still driving ?

Spent many a happy hour in and out of Swanworth Quarries where the loading shovels would pull you up the hill when it was wet as traction
was difficult. Did you have your own tipper or drive for someone ?

Here’s one of Swanworth’s cresting Old Wareham road.

2017-06-09 11.45.40.jpg

Hi Shady long time no see, my name is Dave Rowe do you remember me from the 90s up & down to Portugal ■■
IMG_1454.jpg

DEANB:

geoff luther:

Long time no speak Geoff, are you still driving ?

Spent many a happy hour in and out of Swanworth Quarries where the loading shovels would pull you up the hill when it was wet as traction
was difficult. Did you have your own tipper or drive for someone ?

Here’s one of Swanworth’s cresting Old Wareham road.
Hi Dean it has been a while since we last spoke. I have retired from Wyvern but do a day here and there driving a hook loader out Swanage for Ideal. I did run a tipper between 71 and 78 and them started on the artics for E.F.Phillips doing continental for several other companies as well. I started up Wyvern 2000 and retired 6 months ago. We will talk again soon I am sure when you find something of interest to add to the site,keep up the good work mate.

Pic of your tipper Geoff ? :laughing:

DEANB:

Haven’t got any Dean too long ago. Had an Old Ford tipper ex harry palmers then bought a. New Ford of English’s had a Boxer for a while and finished with an L Reg AEC Marshall. The ram collapsed on site while me and my 2 kids were inside and that was that.

geoff luther:

DEANB:

Haven’t got any Dean too long ago. Had an Old Ford tipper ex harry palmers then bought a. New Ford of English’s had a Boxer for a while and finished with an L Reg AEC Marshall. The ram collapsed on site while me and my 2 kids were inside and that was that.

If you can remember any of the reg numbers pop them on here and will see if we have any photo’s. :wink:

MV ASD-Astor was the second ferry that Truckline operated and was chartered in October 1973 to run alongside the Poole Antelope ferry.

Seen here with a load of french cars on top deck in Cherbourg.

DEANB:

geoff luther:

DEANB:

If you can remember any of the reg numbers pop them on here and will see if we have any photo’s. :wink:

My Ford that I had new was ALJ562K the AEC Marshal FDE 489L if the grey cells are right Dean.