Shipping out of and into Poole

Few months since I was there, but the “BarFly” has been ■■■■■■■ by the viaduct at Caen through most of the Covid induced downturn. I guess she is still there.

I remember when it was new on its maiden voyage, it was in Truckline livery and GBE decided to have a photo session with a new Merc Tractor unit alongside the ship, Johnny Harper ( Little John ), who drove the tractor unit from RH&D to the dock forgot to apply the handbrake and it ended up resting against Barfleur with its rear wheels over the side!.

I have just had a look on " Shipfinder ", and yes, Barfleur is " Alongside " on the River Orne/Caen Canal in Caen.
It is very near to where Caen Ring Road crosses the River Orne. The attached picture is Barfleur at Cherbourg.
I was in the lorry queue waiting to drive aboard to head back to Poole. Click on picture for full image.

Ray Smyth.

I remember the Normandy Shipper there for a few years

kerbut:
I remember the Normandy Shipper there for a few years

I sailed on Normandie Shipper just once from Portsmouth to Caen/Ouistreham with
my 16 ton GVW Volvo curtainsider, and having driven aboard, me and the Volvo were
sent upstairs on a large lorry lift.

Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
I have just had a look on " Shipfinder ", and yes, Barfleur is " Alongside " on the River Orne/Caen Canal in Caen.
It is very near to where Caen Ring Road crosses the River Orne. The attached picture is Barfleur at Cherbourg.
I was in the lorry queue waiting to drive aboard to head back to Poole. Click on picture for full image.

Ray Smyth.

There’s another Brittany boat, with the handbrake rusted on, in LeHavre…

If that’s the Cotentin it’s starting a twice weekly freight service this week Le Harve to Rosslare.

Maybe I should revisit my optician…
There are 3 Brittany boats inside the lock sytem in Le-H at the moment. The Bretagne, which is the one I noticed, plus the Pont Aven and the Cap Finistere. All ■■■■■■■ near the Red Bridge. All victims of Covid travel bans.
The MSM is still going Pompey/Caen.
The Normandie is on same route, but freight only. No punters, so less staff on board.
Cotentin is, as I type, in Le-H, and just getting underway.

I see Ray Smith used “shipfinder”.
This site works too:
myshiptracking.com/?mmsi=228263800
Enter name of a vessel or zoom onto an area.

Heavy duty jump leads have been attached, and BarFly is making ready for the off.
ouest-france.fr/normandie/c … d72d8d9564
■■■■■■■ for 22mths because of Covid.
Going to replace Normandie, freight ony, while she goes for winter clean up, then onto Cherbourg / Poole run freight and passengers end of March…at least that is the current plan.

Ed to Add
Cap Finistere has been sold to GNV in Genoa.

The Barfleur is 30 years old this year. Does not seem possible.

A bit of useless information - anyone going for the ferry from the Poole side will be familiar with this sight/site just over the lifting bridge and on the right.

The site is due for demolition although it was still standing on Jan 1st 2022 (I was there for the raft race)

This shows the site from above. The waste land just above the buildings already has a developers site office on it (not shown in picture).

And if you’re wondering what it is all about (if you haven’t guessed already):

2017 – Planning permission was granted for the demolition of all existing buildings. Full application for residential-led mixed-use development comprising raising existing ground levels and provision of 353 residential units, 2,333 sq.m. GEA of flexible
floorspace (Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, D1, D2) provided in seven blocks ranging from 3 to 14 storeys above ground level in addition to undercroft car park and servicing area, 345 car parking spaces, a boat basin with capacity for circa 23 vessels, and associated soft- and hard-landscaped open space. Phased Development.

Have to say last time I went to Poole I couldn’t believe how run down it had become, used to be a thriving town buzzing with people on holiday in and out of the shops but I thought it seemed really quiet, lots of charity shops and others shut down and rough sleepers everywhere. Shame to see it going downhill so maybe that development will help revive it a bit.

beegee:
A bit of useless information - anyone going for the ferry from the Poole side will be familiar with this sight/site just over the lifting bridge and on the right.

The site is due for demolition although it was still standing on Jan 1st 2022 (I was there for the raft race)

This shows the site from above. The waste land just above the buildings already has a developers site office on it (not shown in picture).

And if you’re wondering what it is all about (if you haven’t guessed already):

2017 – Planning permission was granted for the demolition of all existing buildings. Full application for residential-led mixed-use development comprising raising existing ground levels and provision of 353 residential units, 2,333 sq.m. GEA of flexible
floorspace (Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, D1, D2) provided in seven blocks ranging from 3 to 14 storeys above ground level in addition to undercroft car park and servicing area, 345 car parking spaces, a boat basin with capacity for circa 23 vessels, and associated soft- and hard-landscaped open space. Phased Development.

Hell of alot of new housing been built around that area and on Carters old tile factory that was opposite over the last 10 years or so.

Kempston:
Have to say last time I went to Poole I couldn’t believe how run down it had become, used to be a thriving town buzzing with people on holiday in and out of the shops but I thought it seemed really quiet, lots of charity shops and others shut down and rough sleepers everywhere. Shame to see it going downhill so maybe that development will help revive it a bit.

Alot of towns seem to be heading this way “Kempston” and high streets are dying up and down the country as so many of us
buy stuff online. Huge shops like Beales shutting down and you cant see anyone replacing them. The rent/rates are crazy money
when you speak to the owners.

Barclays House which is the tall office block is apparently shutting in June which is a shame as i cant see who’s going to take
that on. Apparently its a grade 2 listed building.

Flats I would think Dean

kerbut:
Flats I would think Dean

Yes probably Nigel. Just read another post that says its not a listed building so not sure about the listing status.

Hell of a view on the top floor went to a do there years ago. :wink:

DEANB:

Kempston:

Alot of towns seem to be heading this way “Kempston” and high streets are dying up and down the country as so many of us
buy stuff online. Huge shops like Beales shutting down and you cant see anyone replacing them. The rent/rates are crazy money
when you speak to the owners.

Barclays House which is the tall office block is apparently shutting in June which is a shame as i cant see who’s going to take
that on. Apparently its a grade 2 listed building.

Is that the one in the middle of a kind of roundabout? Think it used to house an insurance company? Yes Dean you are certainly right about most town centres Bedford being a prime example, we to have lost a Beales, Debenhams, M&S, BHS, Woolworths not to mention smaller shops. One place that seems to thrive is Cambridge, always remains the same along with Stamford but both pretty affluent places. I was just shocked at Poole as I would have put that in the same category.

No, it used to be Frizzell insurance bought out by LV who are there now, Barclays International is quite an imposing building near the railway station overlooking the RNLI base

Kempston:
Is that the one in the middle of a kind of roundabout? Think it used to house an insurance company? Yes Dean you are certainly right about most town centres Bedford being a prime example, we to have lost a Beales, Debenhams, M&S, BHS, Woolworths not to mention smaller shops. One place that seems to thrive is Cambridge, always remains the same along with Stamford but both pretty affluent places. I was just shocked at Poole as I would have put that in the same category.

As Nigel says the one you are talking about is the insurance one that is in the middle of a roundabout like you say but thats
in Westbourne not Poole. I take it when you go to Poole you turn left just after Ringwood and come down the dual carrige way past
Bournemouth. At the very end of that road,you come to a set of traffic lights and that building is opposite on the island/roundabout you drive around to get to Poole. See 1st pic.

Barclays is the really tall building in Poole town centre again by a roundabout. See pic 2 which hopefully shows it a bit better and
you can se the fly over that goes towards the docks. :wink:

lv build.PNG

DEANB:

Kempston:

As Nigel says the one you are talking about is the insurance one that is in the middle of a roundabout like you say but thats
in Westbourne not Poole. I take it when you go to Poole you turn left just after Ringwood and come down the dual carrige way past
Bournemouth. At the very end of that road,you come to a set of traffic lights and that building is opposite on the island/roundabout you drive around to get to Poole. See 1st pic.

Barclays is the really tall building in Poole town centre again by a roundabout. See pic 2 which hopefully shows it a bit better and
you can se the fly over that goes towards the docks. :wink:

Yes that’s the one Dean. :slight_smile: