Shipping out of and into Poole

Trucklines first ever ro ro ferry. MV Antelope 1973.

NMP

Ceremony for MV Antelope.

trucklinea.PNG

MV ASD Astor was chartered in 1973.

DEANB:

Well done Dean for finding these pics. I remember the Antelope and Dorset but not the Astor. Have you any idea what happened to the Dorset? Thanks anyway for the photos. Cheers mate

geoff luther:

DEANB:

Well done Dean for finding these pics. I remember the Antelope and Dorset but not the Astor. Have you any idea what happened to the Dorset? Thanks anyway for the photos. Cheers mate

Geoff, From what i can make out the MV Antelope and MV ASD Astor would have operated around the same time.

MV Dorset was built in 1970 in Hamburg,Germany and was owned by several different owners and had various
colour schemes and names such as MV Parseta,Codan Marine,St Magnus,Ulster Sportsman,Donautal and eventually
ended its life called MV Dona Juana for Conferry in Venezuela. After being anchored for about 3 years in Venezuela
it sank on June the 10th 2010.

Truckline ferries chartered her from P&O Ferries who owned her at the time in October 1975 until January 1978.

In 1973 Truckline ferries transported 2324 trucks and by 1985 they were carrying 65,000 trucks.

MV Dorset. NMP.

In Conferry colours where she ended her days.

truckline dorset1 ppoole.PNG

Whilst MV Dorset operated the route her partner was the MV Contentin.

It just goes to show how things developed the original MV Contentin could carry 25 trucks. From memory the
new one can carry 110 trucks.

DEANB:

geoff luther:

DEANB:

Geoff, From what i can make out the MV Antelope and MV ASD Astor would have operated around the same time.

MV Dorset was built in 1970 in Hamburg,Germany and was owned by several different owners and had various
colour schemes and names such as MV Parseta,Codan Marine,St Magnus,Ulster Sportsman,Donautal and eventually
ended its life called MV Dona Juana for Conferry in Venezuela. After being anchored for about 3 years in Venezuela
it sank on June the 10th 2010.

Truckline ferries chartered her from P&O Ferries who owned her at the time in October 1975 until January 1978.

In 1973 Truckline ferries transported 2324 trucks and by 1985 they were carrying 65,000 trucks.

MV Dorset. NMP.

In Conferry colours where she ended her days.

Whilst MV Dorset operated the route her partner was the MV Contentin.

It just goes to show how things developed the original MV Contentin could carry 25 trucks. From memory the
new one can carry 110 trucks.

Well done Dean I thought if anyone could find out about the Dorset you would. Thanks once again mate.

Good info about the Dorset,having enquired a while back.Did it take about 12 drivers,the rest flying from Bournemouth Airport?I recall it with a british crew whereas the cotentin had a french crew.Happy days when i was young,keen and blonde.

Gidders:
Good info about the Dorset,having enquired a while back.Did it take about 12 drivers,the rest flying from Bournemouth Airport?I recall it with a british crew whereas the cotentin had a french crew.Happy days when i was young,keen and blonde.

Still re searching the Truckline operation Geoff & Gidders. I am struggling to find much about the MV ASD Astor.

The MV Antelope was partnered at the time by the MV Dauphin de Cherbourg. I wonder if the MV Astor was used
whilst they were waiting for the MV Dauphin de Cherbourg to be built,as both of these ferry’s were built by a
French yard ■■ Its possible i dont know but will try and find out.

You have a good memory “Gidders” as the MV Antelope and Dauphin de Cherbourg could both only carry 12 drivers
and some drivers were flown over like you said.Not sure how many trucks they could hold but it was not very many.

The sisters MV Dorset and Contentin were both chartered by Truckline in 1975 as the first two boats were too small
and these could carry 25 x 12 metre trailers.

truckline 73.jpg

DEANB:

Gidders:

Still re searching the Truckline operation Geoff & Gidders. I am struggling to find much about the MV ASD Astor.

The MV Antelope was partnered at the time by the MV Dauphin de Cherbourg. I wonder if the MV Astor was used
whilst they were waiting for the MV Dauphin de Cherbourg to be built,as both of these ferry’s were built by a
French yard ■■ Its possible i dont know but will try and find out.

You have a good memory “Gidders” as the MV Antelope and Dauphin de Cherbourg could both only carry 12 drivers
and some drivers were flown over like you said.Not sure how many trucks they could hold but it was not very many.

The sisters MV Dorset and Contentin were both chartered by Truckline in 1975 as the first two boats were too small
and these could carry 25 x 12 metre trailers.

Well done once again Dean I have heard a few stories of the crossing by airplane and what the pilot used to get up to,but I never had the experience. However I do remember French Dairy Farmers didn’t they have a Depot in or near Salisbury. Thanks again for the info mate by the way are you coming to the Reunion on Saturday at the Mayfair ? Regards Geoff

Personally I flew from Bournemouth many times back in the day and Cherbourg if coming home, if it was night sailing out you were put in a hotel and flew the next morning, this was done by Aurigney air lines from Alderney and the twin engine aircraft push, pull engines funny set up IIRC 5 drivers and pilot only 12 allowed on boat. and a mad taxi driver in Cherbourg with an extended merc taxi, Mary Hopkins moments them Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Personally I flew from Bournemouth many times back in the day and Cherbourg if coming home, if it was night sailing out you were put in a hotel and flew the next morning, this was done by Aurigney air lines from Alderney and the twin engine aircraft push, pull engines funny set up IIRC 5 drivers and pilot only 12 allowed on boat. and a mad taxi driver in Cherbourg with an extended merc taxi, Mary Hopkins moments them Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer thanks for your input you obviously shipped in and out of Poole in the early days. I was still driving my own tipper back then asI I said when I started this thread. I never started shipping out of Poole till 78/79 and by then I think the flights had stopped but I heard tales of them. I dare say there are a few more like you who can of their experience on the flights. Nice to hear from you as it’s been a while all the best Geoff.

Couple pictures of disembarking in the very early days, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Couple pictures of disembarking in the very early days, Buzzer

Buzzer many thanks for those pics if you come across any more relating to Poole they would be much appreciated.

Buzzer:

Good one Buzzer ! :smiley: I never knew the name of the airline that Truckline used so i dont know how the hell you remembered
that name from 40 odd years ago ! :laughing: :laughing:

Heres a couple of pics of Aurigny planes they were using back then.Intrestingly they are still going strong !

DEANB:

Buzzer:

Good one Buzzer ! :smiley: I never knew the name of the airline that Truckline used so i dont know how the hell you remembered
that name from 40 odd years ago ! [emoji38] [emoji38]

Heres a couple of pics of Aurigny planes they were using back then.Intrestingly they are still going strong !

Slightly off topic,
Heard the Britten-Norman Islanders and Trilanders described as the aviation equivalent of Land-Rovers. Not sophisticated but good on the grass.
And the cliff-edge airstrip on Aurigny is an experience!

Edit. Alderney

Franglais:

DEANB:

Buzzer:

that name from 40 odd years ago ! [emoji38] [emoji38]

Slightly off topic,
Heard the Britten-Norman Islanders and Trilanders described as the aviation equivalent of Land-Rovers. Not sophisticated but good on the grass.

Edit. Alderney

The airstrip at Cherbourg was a clifftop one no second chances there, I once said to the pilot what happens if we don’t get air bourn his reply was, were all going to get wet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer.

Buzzer:
“Franglais”

Slightly off topic,

Edit. Alderney

The airstrip at Cherbourg was a clifftop one no second chances there, I once said to the pilot what happens if we don’t get air bourn his reply was, were all going to get wet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer.

I read something very similar “Franglais” about those planes being very reliable. :wink:

Rather you than me Buzzer ! :laughing: :laughing:

In my earlier post i mentioned that the Dauphin de Cherbourg was the sister of the Poole Antelope.
The Dauphin de Cherbourg was built and intended for service along side the Poole Antelope.
However Truckline soon realised that the Poole Antelope was not suitable for the route due to the weather conditions
and the Dauphin de Cherbourg was built the same as the Poole Antelope. Therefore they cancelled it and it was never used on the Poole Cherbourg route.In order for Truckline to offer a two ship service they then chartered MV ASD Astor which was a German ship on the
2nd of October until the 21st September 1974. The ASD Astor had a capcity of 34 trailers and 12 drivers.

Therefore the Poole Antelope and ASD Astor were only operated for a year 1973 to 1974.

NMP.

MV ASD Astor.

In 1974 sister ships MV Schiaffino and the original Cotentin were both chartered to replace the Poole Antelope
and ASD Astor. In 1975 MV Dorset was also charted and was the same design as the Schiaffino and Cotentin.

The three ferries above were used between the following years.

Schiaffino - 1974 - 1977
Cotentin - 1974 - 1978
Dorset - 1975 - 1977

MV Schiaffino.

MV Cotentin.

MV Dorset.

Unfortunately i have read several articles and they are all slighly different with regard to dates etc but i think the above is pretty
accurate. :unamused: :laughing:

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
In my earlier post i mentioned that the Dauphin de Cherbourg was the sister of the Poole Antelope. The Dauphin de Cherbourg was built and intended for service along side
the Poole Antelope. However Truckline soon realised that the Poole Antelope was not suitable for the route due to the weather conditions
and the Dauphin de Cherbourg was built the same as the Poole Antelope. Therefore they cancelled it and it was never used on the Poole Cherbourg route.In order for Truckline to offer a two ship service they then chartered MV ASD Astor which was a German ship on the
2nd of October until the 21st September 1974. The ASD Astor had a capcity of 34 trailers and 12 drivers.

Therefore the Poole Antelope and ASD Astor were only operated for a year 1973 to 1974.

NMP.

MV ASD Astor.

In 1974 sister ships MV Schiaffino and the original Cotentin were both chartered to replace the Poole Antelope
and ASD Astor. In 1975 MV Dorset was also charted and was the same design as the Schiaffino and Cotentin.

The three ferries above were used between the following years.

Schiaffino - 1974 - 1977
Cotentin - 1974 - 1978
Dorset - 1975 - 1977

MV Schiaffino.

MV Cotentin.

MV Dorset.

Unfortunately i have read several articles and they are all slighly different with regard to dates etc but i think the above is pretty
accurate. :unamused: :laughing:

Click on pages twice to read.

Dean you have done it again well done mate that was very interesting reading. You must have one hell of a collection of magazines to find all of this information. Thanks once again for all of your input. Cheers mate

geoff luther:
Dean you have done it again well done mate that was very interesting reading. You must have one hell of a collection of magazines to find all of this information. Thanks once again for all of your input. Cheers mate

Got a few magazines Geoff ! :laughing: :wink:

Remember these stickers chap !

An intresting article about the Port of Poole and Truckline ferries.

Click on pages twice.