Shipping out of and into Poole

I have just stumbled on this thread.I’ve now retired but I used to ship a lot out of Poole.I recall the ships Dorset,Coutances and Cotentin.I was on the Cocoatin once for 28 hrs,not a pretty sight.Another time the ship hit the ramp at Cherbourg at a fair lick.We could hear the Chief Engineer’s boots as he ran up to the bridge.He was not a happy chappy.Various numerous shades of green faces disembarking the ship from Portugal.I was fortunate in that I never had to use the aircraft from Hurn.Let’s be kind and say the pilot was a little eccentric.

Gidders:
I have just stumbled on this thread.I’ve now retired but I used to ship a lot out of Poole.I recall the ships Dorset,Coutances and Cotentin.I was on the Cocoatin once for 28 hrs,not a pretty sight.Another time the ship hit the ramp at Cherbourg at a fair lick.We could hear the Chief Engineer’s boots as he ran up to the bridge.He was not a happy chappy.Various numerous shades of green faces disembarking the ship from Portugal.I was fortunate in that I never had to use the aircraft from Hurn.Let’s be kind and say the pilot was a little eccentric.

Hi Gidders I am glad you stumbled on this thread we have had some rough crossings over the years. As you say some of the Spanish and Portugese are not very good sailors but I guess they either get used to it or find other work. Should you have any photos of Poole or Cherbourg or anything of interest please post them. Regards Geoff.

Cliff luxton:
Well done Geoff 100000 hits reached, keep it going.

Thanks Cliff for noticing mate your not so far behind me yourself with your thread,the problem is new photos are hard to come by,good job Dean finds a few now and again. I hope you and Lindsey are keeping well and keeping your tan topped up. All the best mate talk again soon.

geoff luther:

Gidders:

Hi Gidders I am glad you stumbled on this thread we have had some rough crossings over the years. As you say some of the Spanish and Portugese are not very good sailors but I guess they either get used to it or find other work. Should you have any photos of Poole or Cherbourg or anything of interest please post them. Regards Geoff.

Talking about rough crossings “Gidders” brings back some memories about Truckline. When other
ferry companies in Dover,Portmouth etc would cancel sailings. Truckline always sailed ! :laughing:
It had to be seriously bad for them even to consider cancelling a sailing. They laughed at a gale force 10 in a flat bottom ferry and always sailed. :laughing: :wink:

MV Coutances

View of Poole Harbour.

first to last out of Poole until they cut the amount of NEQ, after that it was Harwich to Cuxhaven and down through Germany.

new trailer old goucesrer rd.JPG

wx58 ulceby 1.jpg

casselbordino 2.jpg

I spent a bit of time in the shed over the years lol

how come my names on your scania

hotel magnum:
how come my names on your scania

Do you mean Lambert?

A rare visitor to Poole. MV Armorique. I remember when this first entered service and i went on it
in the first week or so. Left Roscoff and it was calm and before we were out of the harbour it was
rocking and rolling all over the place,they obviously were still getting used to the stabilisers. :laughing:

Barfleur in the original Truckline livery. Ray.

Barfleur.jpg

Hombre !

kerbut:
Hombre !

Ray Caswell used to drive for them as well Nigel. Gordon Knowlton ended up with that unit.

geoff luther:

kerbut:
Hombre !

Ray Caswell used to drive for them as well Nigel. Gordon Knowlton ended up with that unit.

Yes Geoff, I recognized as Gordie’s old unit, saw it being towed home several times !!!

Article about Brittany Ferries.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Geoff, During my 3 years with Robert Baillie of Portsmouth in the early 1970s, our main source
of work was Guernsey Tomatoes, and Cauliflowers from Brittany. When the regular work was a bit
quiet, we often got loads of Spanish Onions, usually for Liverpool or Manchester wholesale markets.
The onions were loaded in a 20ft curtainsided container, or sometimes on a 20ft flat, known as a
Macpac. I believe they came across from Spain on a Ro-Ro vessel called “Monte Castillo”, owned by
Aznar line. I think the “Macpacs” belonged to Macandrews Shipping Line. I think the “Monte Castillo”
landed the onions at Southampton, and sometimes came to Liverpool. The Monte Castillo in her
later life became “Manx Viking”, sailing from Douglas,Isle Of Man, to Heysham in Lancashire.
Manxline was a business operation started up by Geoff Duke, former racing motorcyclist.
Monte Castillo is seen here in dry dock at Bilbao, and Manx Viking is near the harbour in Douglas.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Manx Line.jpg

Not the normal Truckline traffic.

6CFD4233-5A8E-4678-9821-72462B4FBCFE.jpeg

the last one I went out of Poole in. missed the magnums though, rubbish for getting out of on the ferries, and I fell out of the door on numerous occasions as they forgot the walkway and ladder,