Shipping out of and into Poole

toby1234abc:
DEANB, the Blanc tunnel was planned to be a dual road so two in and two out but locals objected for noise and pollution.
Hence now single lane in and out.
I use the cafe and restaurant in the main building.
Photos there of when it was built with facts and figures .
You can park over night .

Yes i know the small cafe you are talking about i remember going through early one summers morning
and parkd up on the Italian side it was a lovely bright morning. Went in the cafe for a coffee and it was
full of Italian police ! :unamused:

Some more of the blanc.

HRS:

geoff luther:

Hi Geoff,
Is Barry still about ■■? remember this truck well, he used to work with Reg Bugler, Harvey

Hi Harvey yes Barry is still about I see him a couple of times a year. I will remember you to him the next time I see him. I drove for Reg first and then Barry for a while back in the day. Regards Geoff

DEANB:
Alot of drivers which have used Poole will have gone to Italy via Mont Blanc over the years.

Here’s some pics liberated from a french forum ! :laughing:

Once again Dean some great old pics from years ago. I bet those trucks with ropes and sheets had loaded white goods from Bergamo. Keep up the good work mate. Cheers Geoff

ERF-NGC-European:
I remember one winter entering the tunnel on the Italian side in glorious sunshine and emerging in France amid a raging blizzard! Robert

Plus one but the other way about Robert, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

ERF-NGC-European:
I remember one winter entering the tunnel on the Italian side in glorious sunshine and emerging in France amid a raging blizzard! Robert

Plus one but the other way about Robert, cheers Buzzer.

:sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

Looks like Mont Cenis .

There you go better this way up, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Thanks Buzzer good job someone knows what they are doing.

Buzzer:

Thanks Buzzer good job you know what you’re doing.

DEANB:
Looks like Mont Cenis .

Not looked on this thread for a while, fantastics pics Dean, and yep thats definitely Mt.Cenis,
Victors on the right of photo…

Hi All
I delivered steel yesterday for the new Poole ferry terminal building
happy days
Rich

About time there was a bit more intrest in this thread ! :laughing: :wink:

A few regulars back in the day.

Trans-Gama from Lisbon,there was a good old boy drove for them who used to come through every other week.

Gilders were always through with there over length draw-bars !

poole53.jpg

Who remembers these stickers ! :laughing:

What about these ■■? :unamused:

And these !

MV Coutances.

OTA were a regular.

Albright & Wilson used to come through twice a week !

Geoff Luther, I remember John Mann, he had a lot of trucks.
The tales I heard when they were in Morocco was that the local hauliers objected to their business dominance.
I think kids were paid to make life difficult for foreign operators.
I heard of suzies being cut while waiting at traffic lights.
Trailer brakes on, so you get out and they ransacked the cab.

DeanB, the blue triangle with the yellow bit on top of the Portuguese Scania 111, Gama Trans Lda, hauliers told their government that they did nothing for the industry.
So they came up with the triangle to warn others it was a long vehicle.
Do you remember the Spanish owner driver who was mad as a hatter.
On the side of his cab and back of the trailer he had a sign that said Lorry and driver was so many years old.
The age I can’t remember.
I would overtake with caution , in case I gave him a myocardial infarction.

And the 80 year old man on a moped with no working lights, that was drunk as a skunk and would weave all over the road, while playing a trumpet and singing , I would see him late at night about 20 miles before the border at Villa de Formoso on the Spanish side.

toby1234abc:
The tales I heard when they were in Morocco was that the local hauliers objected to their business dominance.

That was all about illegal immigrants, I’m afraid. I did that job for years. I always locked the cab even if I got out for a moment so no ransacking. As for the susies: I always carried those push-fit two-way valves so all I had to do was lock the cab, jump up onto the catwalk, join the parted ends of the susie, get the air up and go. That way they’d have to be damned quick to get into the trailer. R

toby1234abc:

DeanB, the blue triangle with the yellow bit on top of the Portuguese Scania 111, Gama Trans Lda, hauliers told their government that they did nothing for the industry.
So they came up with the triangle to warn others it was a long vehicle.
Do you remember the Spanish owner driver who was mad as a hatter.
On the side of his cab and back of the trailer he had a sign that said Lorry and driver was so many years old.
The age I can’t remember.
I would overtake with caution , in case I gave him a myocardial infarction.

And the 80 year old man on a moped with no working lights, that was drunk as a skunk and would weave all over the road, while playing a trumpet and singing , I would see him late at night about 20 miles before the border at Villa de Formoso on the Spanish side.

I never knew that about the triangle on the roof Toby ! Amazing what you learn on these forums. :wink:

I reckon a few of you will remember Cluses.

Well done Geoff 100000 hits reached, keep it going.