Shipping out of and into Poole

geoff luther:

DEANB:
Any of you remember Antells old Atkinson pulling a low loader in Poole docks ? Used to
collect and deliver the Liebherr excavators that were shipped over. Think it had a 240
gardner in it from memory !

Dean I think its still out and about these days especially steam show time.Cheers Geoff

yes my wifes cousins still trucking and steaming

scan142m:

geoff luther:

DEANB:
Any of you remember Antells old Atkinson pulling a low loader in Poole docks ? Used to
collect and deliver the Liebherr excavators that were shipped over. Think it had a 240

Dean I think its still out and about these days especially steam show time.Cheers Geoff

John was a good old boy used to make me laugh with what he would load on that Atki ! I was thinking he must be getting
on a bit now and found this article ! (Click on page twice to read)

antell.PNG.jpg

antell1.PNG

kerbut:
Dean
That “Routier” looks very like Carisio near Milan to me . The Troner is not a local , its a GBE Midlands one !!

Could be Nigel i dont know mate ! Hows France these days ?

Anyone got a picture of Dave Croft’s red daf used to run a 3300 i think from memory with lifting back axle ! He was a
good old boy !

What was the fellas name that drove for these ,had a lazy eye,another good old boy ? Can picture him but cant
remember his name ■■

I dont remember these girls, and i would have definately remembered them !

Only one I can think of who drove for Houseman was Alan Newton.

Love that Houseman unit and stepframe tilt, that looks the dogs danglies! :smiley:

DEANB:

scan142m:

geoff luther:

DEANB:

John was a good old boy used to make me laugh with what he would load on that Atki ! I was thinking he must be getting
on a bit now and found this article ! (Click on page twice to read)

And here it is:

flickr.com/photos/46315577@ … f6W-QQw4wo

kerbut:
Only one I can think of who drove for Houseman was Alan Newton.

Thats him Nigel, Alan Newton he was a good lad ! :smiley:

And here it is:

flickr.com/photos/46315577@ … f6W-QQw4wo
[/quote]
Good man 240 Gardner. He used to pull some heavy old loads of the docks with that motor. Liebherr tracked machines
upto Hatfield.

This should bring back a few memories for anyone that shipped out of Poole,eading for Spain. Irun TIR park.

Thats the old one Dean , they built a new one a bit out of town about 3 years before customs finished , luckly towards the end of the old TIR park we used to clear in Doman,s yard which was a bit more civilised .

A couple more of Irun.

poole96 irun tir.jpg

scan142m:

geoff luther:

is that barry davis from upton if so he and a few others in the early 80s used to drive for me .?
re the post with the,phillips,tilt on page 14

Hi “scan142m” yes that is the old rascal Barry Davis from Upton.I worked for him way back in the day driving his F89 when he got the new F10.He told me that he had a F12 coming for me but that never materialised so I went back to work for Reg Bugler.I usually see him once a year when he comes to a drivers Christmas meal that I organise.Cheers Geoff

DEANB:
A couple more of Irun.

Hi Dean thanks for all the pics you have added,we all used to spend a lot of time in Irun waiting to clear customs. When we were on TIR years ago we often got sent in there if they wanted to be nosey to see what we were carrying even though we should have been able to go to our destination on our carnet’s. Happy days cheers mate.

DEANB:
The old Antelope ferry ended up in Malta.

Well Geoff, looks like Michael was lucky here !

Here he is again furthest lorry parked in the routier,looks like a ferry freighting and some dow freight for company.

Really miss the routiers,they were great !

Duchesse Ann was a rare visitor,the Purbeck must have been having a refit or had been sold.

Purbeck making a visit after being sold and repainted and on hire to Truckline/Brittany.

A local !

Hi Dean I clearly remember when Mike got his Freebie mind you Framptons did use Poole a lot in those days. That is Carisio the big drivers restaurant in Italy had some good nights in there a long time ago.Poor old Mike has really had a bad time of it lately when I spoke to him earlier this week he had 1 more round of chemo on his bowel to go and then they were going to sort out his liver,he sounded quite chirpy considering what he has been through.Thanks once again for all the pics and for bringing the memories back again.Cheers Geoff

geoff luther:

DEANB:
The old Antelope ferry ended up in Malta.

Well Geoff, looks like Michael was lucky here !

Here he is again furthest lorry parked in the routier,looks like a ferry freighting and some dow freight for company.

Really miss the routiers,they were great !

Duchesse Ann was a rare visitor,the Purbeck must have been having a refit or had been sold.

Purbeck making a visit after being sold and repainted and on hire to Truckline/Brittany.

A local !

Hi Dean I clearly remember when Mike got his Freebie mind you Framptons did use Poole a lot in those days. That is Carisio the big drivers restaurant in Italy had some good nights in there a long time ago.Poor old Mike has really had a bad time of it lately when I spoke to him earlier this week he had 1 more round of chemo on his bowel to go and then they were going to sort out his liver,he sounded quite chirpy considering what he has been through.Thanks once again for all the pics and for bringing the memories back again.Cheers Geoff

Hello Geoff, Please send Mike my regards next time you speak to him. I did not know he was ill. Send this pic onto him taken back in June 1987.

Hi Dean I will tell Mike next time I speak to him.Hopefuly there will be more good news. Me and four other old ■■■■■ are flying out to Porto to see the changes since we used to go there. One of the first ports of call will be the resturaunt that most of us used back in the day,see page 1 and watch this space.cheers mate speak soon. Geoff

I would like to be on that trip with you guys. Lunch at Restaurante “O” Motorista across the road from the old T.I.R. Customs Park in Oporto.
Calde Verde, Tripas and Imeya (half) (spelling ?) de Lulas grillado com patatas cosidas. :smiley: :smiley: and the obligatory Vinho Verde Gatao or 1/2 litre jug Vinho Tinto… :sunglasses:

Don’t forget to take Toby with you!! :open_mouth:

Dont forget to put a few photos on here Geoff of your travels , I found Alan,s crazyblokeonabike blog , he seems to be doing well on his travels across USA. That photo of Micky that Dean put up , doesn’t he look young in it !!. Still trying to locate a number for John Langlands , I have Fred in Canada contacting someone who will have his number .

some one asked about chris sparks i saw him a couple of years back he was living in Lymington still looks the same as he always did . :smiley: