Shipping out of and into Poole

Indeed Robert! Couldn’t think of it… I would sometimes stop there if I was feeling unsociable!
It was quite popular with our French friends but it rarely had many trucks in there.
I wonder if they survived the new road going through?

Cheers. Balders.

Baldrick1953:
Indeed Robert! Couldn’t think of it… I would sometimes stop there if I was feeling unsociable!
It was quite popular with our French friends but it rarely had many trucks in there.
I wonder if they survived the new road going through?

Cheers. Balders.

IIRC the new road bypassed it. I rarely used it, but it did have an odd gothic feel to the place! Loved Miguels, by the way! Robert

Is that the one on the bend with the parking on the other side of the road ?

kerbut:

I think it was the other side from Miguel’s but I don’t think the parking was opposite.I don’t think it was the hotel on the left before you started going down was it,because Steve and Ian used that one quite a bit.

geoff luther:

kerbut:

I think it was the other side from Miguel’s but I don’t think the parking was opposite.I don’t think it was the hotel on the left before you started going down was it,because Steve and Ian used that one quite a bit.

Miguels was on a bend with parking both sides of the road. Alaska was further up the mountain. Robert

Yes I think we all know where Miguels is , there was another on a left hand bend going up with a parking opposite.

kerbut:
Yes I think we all know where Miguels is , there was another on a left hand bend going up with a parking opposite.

Oh yes - sorry Kerbut! I’d completely forgotten about that one. I don’t remember ever using it and I probably never knew its name. Robert

Hi Geoff…
Now you come to mention it I think you’re right about Steve and Ian frequenting the Alaska occasionally.
Perhaps Shady will confirm or deny…

After being requested to vacate his seat in the F12 at AS Rawlings after “carrotgate”. Freddy “The Carrots” Sparks ended up on Alberti Santi for quite a few years. He would have retired by now me thinks. Alberti Santi are still going with a UK reg. fleet too.

DEANB:
Some good ones there Geoff, MJM blast from the past. Not the best maintained fleet they were always breaking down and the fitter was always shipping out in a lorry to repair !

Heres some more regulars.

OTA,they were a big outfit back in the day.

J.Johnstone always had nice kit,shipping out with lambs.

V.G.Mathers,there was a owner driver on there had a twin turbo iveco when they first come out.
I think it was either the first or one of the first in the country.

Ferryline,another company that always had nice kit.

Are any of them still going ? I havent seen any of them for years.

Pretty sure I saw a VG Mathers motor the other week. Can’t recall where exactly but I’m thinking A1M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gazzer:
After being requested to vacate his seat in the F12 at AS Rawlings after “carrotgate”. Freddy “The Carrots” Sparks ended up on Alberti Santi for quite a few years. He would have retired by now me thinks. Alberti Santi are still going with a UK reg. fleet too.

Gazzer the chap you refer to as Freddy Sparks is his real name Chris Sparks if so I worked with him years ago on E.F.Phillips.i have not seen him for ages. Cheers Geoff.

Different fella altogether Geoff. IIRC Chris worked eventually for LTS and then for Les Slater. I met Chris a few years ago in Les Slaters workshop in Southampton. He called in for a cuppa.
Freddy Sparks was a short gentleman with curly black hair and a moustache…sorry no one has a foto of him. Also known as squeaky Fred on account of…well you know! Always worked for AS Rawlings since 1977, had an F10 first off then an F12. I think it was the time when Rawlings had so many roll overs they had to take what was available.

gazzer:
Different fella altogether Geoff. IIRC Chris worked eventually for LTS and then for Les Slater. I met Chris a few years ago in Les Slaters workshop in Southampton. He called in for a cuppa.
Freddy Sparks was a short gentleman with curly black hair and a moustache…sorry no one has a foto of him. Also known as squeaky Fred on account of…well you know! Always worked for AS Rawlings since 1977, had an F10 first off then an F12. I think it was the time when Rawlings had so many roll overs they had to take what was available.

Gazzer thanks for the reply and if you or anyone sees or hears of Chris Sparks it would be great if I could catch up with him again.Thanks mate

geoff luther:

gazzer:

Gazzer thanks for the reply and if you or anyone sees or hears of Chris Sparks it would be great if I could catch up with him again.Thanks mate

Hi Geoff,

Hope you are keeping well,here’s a photo of Chris Sparks in Le Havre,he was driving for Tony Hilton then,the Volvo was on it’s first trip shipped out tractor unit only to find that Princes had bolted the slider mechanism of the fifth wheel to the chassis so it wouldn’t slide :blush:

I think he drove for Fransens for quite a while.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

geoff luther:

gazzer:

Hi Geoff,

Hope you are keeping well,here’s a photo of Chris Sparks in Le Havre,he was driving for Tony Hilton then,the Volvo was on it’s first trip shipped out tractor unit only to find that Princes had bolted the slider mechanism of the fifth wheel to the chassis so it wouldn’t slide :blush:

I think he drove for Fransens for quite a while.
Thanks for the pic Richard,the last time I saw Chris he was on for Fransens and that was a long time ago in Spain in a restaurant at the top of that long drag up from Valencia towards Teruel Cheers Geoff

Regards
Richard

The old Antelope ferry ended up in Malta.

Well Geoff, looks like Michael was lucky here !

Here he is again furthest lorry parked in the routier,looks like a ferry freighting and some dow freight for company.

Really miss the routiers,they were great !

Duchesse Ann was a rare visitor,the Purbeck must have been having a refit or had been sold.

Purbeck making a visit after being sold and repainted and on hire to Truckline/Brittany.

A local !

kjw21:

DEANB:
Some good ones there Geoff, MJM blast from the past. Not the best maintained fleet they were always breaking down and the fitter was always shipping out in a lorry to repair !

Heres some more regulars.

OTA,they were a big outfit back in the day.

J.Johnstone always had nice kit,shipping out with lambs.

V.G.Mathers,there was a owner driver on there had a twin turbo iveco when they first come out.
I think it was either the first or one of the first in the country.

Ferryline,another company that always had nice kit.

Are any of them still going ? I havent seen any of them for years.

Pretty sure I saw a VG Mathers motor the other week. Can’t recall where exactly but I’m thinking A1M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

v.g mathers is still on the go and still running europe, thinks there about 8 trucks on the road

Dean
That “Routier” looks very like Carisio near Milan to me . The Troner is not a local , its a GBE Midlands one !!

Dean, Thanks for some more great “Ferry” pictures on the “Poole” thread.
I have just put a picture on the “Duke De Normandie” thread, you may or
may not have seen it before, have a squint at it and let me know.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

geoff luther:

is that barry davis from upton if so he and a few others in the early 80s used to drive for me .?
re the post with the,phillips,tilt on page 14