shift schedualing

Hi everyone, ive been driving 7.5 tonne trucks for a few years but recently my boss has been sending me on runs that are not possible on a tacho day, when I tell him this he says he will send someone to recover me when I run out of driving time. My question is this legal?

Not really because if you run out of time then you’re recovered that time spent running in sat in the passenger seat is still working time so obviously taking you over the 13/15 hour point, but in reality you probably won’t ever get caught.

Edit:
Oops :blush: sorry just read your post again and spotted you said driving time. If that’s the case then i suppose yes it is legal as long as you are observing all the other regs, and like i said being recovered is still working time for you.

Yes it is legal as long as you’re not recovered when you’ve run out of working time.

As bald bloke said, travelling time should be recorded as other work, so unless you can get back to base in time to complete your daily rest period within 24 hours from the start of the shift you can’t legally be recovered.

I think he has to send 2 drivers one to bring you back in a car or van and one for the truck. Legally you cannot 2nd man in the truck back to base

nick2008:
I think he has to send 2 drivers one to bring you back in a car or van and one for the truck. Legally you cannot 2nd man in the truck back to base

No need to send out 2 drivers because the truck driver who has run out of driving hours but still has not reached the time where a daily rest is required can drive the car back and that is recorded as other work

If the driver has reached the time where a daily rest is due then a daily rest must be taken = no driving a car back or being a passenger being driven back to base because neither is rest under the regs

nick2008:

He wouldn’t be a second driver in a truck whilst being recovered, he’d be a passenger.

To be a second driver he would need to be available for driving.