Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

Jakdaw:

gingerfold:
A good clue for the definitive location is the Bond Minicar dealer on the left. There must have been only one of those in Manchester, surely?

Hiya Gingerfold, it`s the location of the top picture they want. The other pic is definitely B/pool Rd, Preston. :unamused:

Oh, not “Lost in France”, lost in Preston and Manchester. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I remember these running around the Manchester area years ago I think they were dark green with yellow signwriting.Anyone else remember them?

Buckton Albion Reiver..jpg

i worked for them for a few months john . they put a dozen or so lorries in ici when they started the tarmac plant up . a mix of lad cabs and ergos . all the new motors didn’t come straight away and there were some right old nails with muck bodies to start with . cheers , dave

Geoff Reyner Droylsden Seddon Atkinson taking part in the local carnival.

G Reyner Seddon Atkinson..jpg

A modern day haulier from Middleton.Mark Bates runs his own concrete plant and 8 mixers,all his vehicles are livered with a theme eg motor bikes/cars/football and one with photos of Tilcons Foden mixers from the past.It certainly makes a change from the boring plain white lorries we see every day on our roads.

Stanfield:
A modern day haulier from Middleton/Chadderton.Mark Bates runs his own concrete plant and 8 mixers,all his vehicles are livered with a theme eg motor bikes/cars/football and one with photos of Tilcons Foden mixers from the past.It certainly makes a change from the boring plain white lorries we see every day on our roads.

I wonder if the Mark Bates is the Mark from “Helmark”?..perhaps a Bruce offspring■■?

Very interesting!!!

David

Stanfield:
I remember these running around the Manchester area years ago I think they were dark green with yellow signwriting.Anyone else remember them?

Can anyone pin down the location? Hazarding a guess I will suggest construction of the M60 around Chadderton, but I could be very wrong.

Quite possibly widening Broadway into a dual carriageway , early 70s at a guess .

gingerfold:

Stanfield:

Can anyone pin down the location? Hazarding a guess I will suggest construction of the M60 around Chadderton, but I could be very wrong.

Im sure this was long before the M60 was started , I would say this would have been taken in the 70s, IMO, Regards Larry.

Geoffery Reyner from Droylsden Manchester ERF F72MRJ (photo found on net dont know whose it is)

rigsby:
Quite possibly widening Broadway into a dual carriageway , early 70s at a guess .

I would agree. Note the mill in the background. (I used to live in Manchester and I don’t remember any mills south of Chadderton)

TIPIT:
Does anyone remember or have any photo’s of C. H. Harvey’s, a tipper firm in the Gorton area I think in the 60’s/70’s.

Or Truscott Transport who ran a fleet of 40 x TK luton vans, on Textile St, West Gorton.

CH Harvey, Lyle St, Liverpool, Had a fleet of 3 Leyland Buffalo units with Nevile dump trailers, 1 Albion Reiver and 1 Seddon 14-4. The yard was located at the Quickmix Depot,the railway sidings Dean Lane Newton Heath, and carried the limestone for Quickmix and also the building of the M62 bridges.1970-1972

RM Truscott Textile St West Gorton, had a fleet of 40 Bedford TK 2200 cube foot vans, main office New Scout Mill Mossley. They manufactured mattress lining and delivered to Mattress manufacturers from there they delivered the complete beds to retailers.1972-1977.
I was the mechanic for both companies.
John.

Welcome to the Trucknet clan John, is that John Carey ex Lamb’s ?
I,m Eddie Hartley’s lad.

It is Tipit we served our apprenticeship together (just had an email to say he’s joined the site) and welcome John. Didnt know he worked for Tommy Lamb though.

I worked with both John Carey(not for long though) & Eddie Hartley at Tommy Lambs I was the 1st Apprentice mechanic they had there working under Dave Lund who John knew well through working with him at a garage in Reddish(if memory serves me correct) and Eddie was a driver there along with my dad,also know Paul(tipit) from the time he used to go out on the tippers with his dad.I started in 1962 and at the time Dave Lund was foreman and also in the garage were Alf Inman mechanic and Norman ? semi skilled mechanic/driver.This is a photo of Tipits dad Eddie (courtesy of Tipit)

Thanks for the info Stanfield ,Dave Lund was in fact foreman at the garage (H.G.Tuff) that John and myself were at ,I did my last couple of years at Reddish Service Station on Broadstone Rd then went on to my driving career starting at Walkers Demolition, Allinson Stone, P.Hauser and Phil Collier Waste

Turners (Soham) Ltd. had a depot in Manchester during the 1960s early 1970s. I believe that it was somewhere in the east side of the city, maybe Newton Heath or Gorton. They used to run about 15 night trunks between Soham and Manchester during the peak agricultural produce season. A neighbour of ours, Seth Addison, drove a Dodge 308 four-wheeler for them on local deliveries. Anyone else remember Turners in Manchester?

Not had anything on here for a month so here’s a couple of pics that belong to fodens41 I think (hope he wont mind)

Anyone from the Manchester area remember this outfit based on Lloyd Road Levenshulme

Hi all,
Does anybody remember my dad from Connel and finnegan? Dave Turnbull