Shell mex and BP Ltd Fuel Depots

My father was a tanker driver for Shell-BP at Preston then Heysham , Lancs has anybody got photos of the fuel depots they operated throughout the UK , anything related to photos of the oil terminals. many thanks tankerjack.

A few photos that were part of the Appleyard Archives, all of Appleyards Harrogate terminal.

I’d no idea that they had a fuels terminal, i thought they were just into truck and van sales and offshoots of the same

Hello tanker jack
No photos but I next time I’m down at Workington, I’ll take some picture of the old Shell Mex depot which is now owned and used by BP. Shell Mex also had a depot at Dalston (still used) and Maryport (now closed) in ■■■■■■■■
Kindest regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

Sniffy:
A few photos that were part of the Appleyard Archives, all of Appleyards Harrogate terminal.

I’d no idea that they had a fuels terminal, i thought they were just into truck and van sales and offshoots of the same

Thanks very much for the reply , much appreciate your time and effort Sniffy. many thanks Paul.

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello tanker jack
No photos but I next time I’m down at Workington, I’ll take some picture of the old Shell Mex depot which is now owned and used by BP. Shell Mex also had a depot at Dalston (still used) and Maryport (now closed) in ■■■■■■■■
Kindest regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

thank you ■■■■■■■■ Gill i have got photos of Dalston and the depot at Workington , i work for Montgomery Tankservices and we did a collection from Indorama and after i was loaded i would park near to the depot and take a break , its a very unique , its a real blast from the past and if you had Bedfords and Leyland Comets parked inside the depot you would be back 50 years. thanks for your reply. Paul.

Do you know Glen Mcburnie then tankerjack ?

Sniffy:
Do you know Glen Mcburnie then tankerjack ?

Yes i do , i see him at Gaydon every year he is a real gentleman , he has in the past sent me some photos of various road tankers , hope to see him in June. tankerjack.

Hi there Tankerjack…I worked for Shell-Mex and BP from 1970 onwards at their Bridgwater Somerset Terminal…Ive got a couple of pictures but not sure how to place them on the forum…going to have a try with one of them…cheers…Bryan…

Heres another go at posting a photo…cheers…Bryan

heres two more pictures taken about 1972 when Shell Mex and BP expanded the terminal…new workshops and more storage tanks…quite a big co,plex…less than 20 years later it was all gone…Bryan

A few more pictures Of the Shell=Mex and BP terminal at Dunball Somerset…the terminal closed down in 1988…now a very large car auction on site…

Thank you Bryan they are wonderful photographs , i have chatted before on the webshots with you , i have a aerial photograph of the Dunball Terminal in black and white i shall post asap your colour photos are great , the two BP oil tankers parked close to the loading gantry are they six wheel Albions ? , i travelled with my father in the same type of tanker but the tank was painted black , i never got a photo of this vehicle , did you have one with a black tank at Bridgwater ? , did you know a driver called Terry Pope i meet him at Shepton Mallet truck show , he showed me a model Scammell Routeman he had made , he said he was a tanker driver at Bridgwater terminal , he showed me pictures of other models he himself had made they looked quite impressive ! , looking forward to hear from you. Paul.

tankerjack:
Thank you Bryan they are wonderful photographs , i have chatted before on the webshots with you , i have a aerial photograph of the Dunball Terminal in black and white i shall post asap your colour photos are great , the two BP oil tankers parked close to the loading gantry are they six wheel Albions ? , i travelled with my father in the same type of tanker but the tank was painted black , i never got a photo of this vehicle , did you have one with a black tank at Bridgwater ? , did you know a driver called Terry Pope i meet him at Shepton Mallet truck show , he showed me a model Scammell Routeman he had made , he said he was a tanker driver at Bridgwater terminal , he showed me pictures of other models he himself had made they looked quite impressive ! , looking forward to hear from you. Paul.

Hi there Paul,Yes, I can remember you off the Webshots and you were right,they are Albion Rievers…I believe we had 4 of those in the fleet…3 on spirit deliveries and one on Fuel oil…all painted in the same livery…no black tank for the fuel oil…Havnt got a close up picture of any of them…just one behind the Mandator which I hope I can find…Thats Lou Pope you met at Shepton Mallet…I know he had some models but didnt realise he made them…he has sold them I think…I saw him last week at a funeral of one of our work mates…I could have asked him had I known…Ive got a few models but they are the corgi ones…I like your layout of an old teminal…spot on…you have a great collection of models on display…well done…off to find that picture now…cheers for now…Bryan

Thank you for your reply , i have the aerial view of Dunball terminal , is the building on bottom left the new garages being built ? , can you remember why the Albion was being towed ? , and in one of the photos with a view of the vehicle wash there is a Guy 8 wheeler next to the Scammell trunker of BP Oil , was the Guy 8 wheeler in the BP livery ? , Shell - BP had Guy 8 Wheelers , there is a photo of that vehicle in a century of petroleum , its a very good book and i would recommend it if your interest is british lorries. Did you have any hairy moments whilst in your employment as a tanker driver or funny experiences , or can you recall your fellow drivers having a bad day at the office !!. All the best Paul.

tankerjack:
Thank you for your reply , i have the aerial view of Dunball terminal , is the building on bottom left the new garages being built ? , can you remember why the Albion was being towed ? , and in one of the photos with a view of the vehicle wash there is a Guy 8 wheeler next to the Scammell trunker of BP Oil , was the Guy 8 wheeler in the BP livery ? , Shell - BP had Guy 8 Wheelers , there is a photo of that vehicle in a century of petroleum , its a very good book and i would recommend it if your interest is british lorries. Did you have any hairy moments whilst in your employment as a tanker driver or funny experiences , or can you recall your fellow drivers having a bad day at the office !!. All the best Paul.

Hi there Paul…wow…thats some view alright…where did you get that from?..now your not going to tell me you flew your plane down here to take that shot…lol…I should think that picture was taken in the afternoon judging by the shadows from the storage tanks…the A38 which runs alongside the terminal looks very quiet…maybe the M5 had opened then…Yes, we only had the one Guy 8 wheeler…it used to bounce if the run was uneven…hit my head a couple times on the cab roof…we also had a Foden 8 wheeler like the one in your model layout…when Shell Mex and BP split in 1975 Dunball was made a BP terminal…Shell had their depot at Avonmouth…funny old set up that…often wondered if it was ever worth the split…Gosh, hairy moments and incident…a big size book could be written about them…lol…maybe that would sell well…off for my tea now…cheers…Bryan

Here is a photo of the Heysham Terminal 1977ish a BP Oil Scammell Trunker and a Shell Oil ERF 8 wheeler under the gantry loading.

Hi Paul…is the terminal still in operation?..or did it go like many others in their rationilisation plans…So much money invested in terminals throughot the country only for them to disappear after quite a short life…the shortest one I think was the gas plant created at Avonmouth…about ten years…and that must have cost a mint to build…Dunball was supplied by coastal tanker from the refinery outside of Swansea…Llandarcy…I think I spelt that right<>>…One of the ships got stranded on the beach here at Burnham on sea…got some pics somewhere…Bryan

Hi Bryan , i hope that boat was empty and not loaded with product , that would have been a tricky situation to deal with if it was loaded , the depot at Heysham was supplied by the refinery at Heysham , it was only a small operation , it was built in wartime 1941-2 to supply the RAF with avaition fuel and other petroleum products , many of the finished product tanks were buried into the landscape to avoid detection , but they the German pilots must have been able to see the lansdcape shape from above , the Heysham depot was shared by both Shell oil and BP oil , it was a delight to see the same lorries with diffrent liveries , i got a few photos when i was younger , BP moved to Partington , Gt Manchester and eventually due to the age of the depot and as you know many depots closed due to cost cutting , vehicles were new and technically advanced bigger and faster and could cover longer distances quicker ! and most of all Gas had become a major fuel that was cleaner and fuel oil was not King anymore , the depot closed in 1983 along with many others in the UK ,Shell moved to Haydock even Partington has closed and become a wood yard , Heysham was totally relandscaped all the tankfarms were dug out and it has new businesses park , the only reminder is the maintenance garage the company that bought the land , refabricated the outer shell and blended it to match the rest of the buidings , i always look for it every time i go down to collect my trailer at Heysham dock. i have another view of the depot this time from the river side showing the ship delivering fuel to the terminal.

here is the other side of the depot at Heysham , Lancs.

tankerjack:
Hi Bryan , i hope that boat was empty and not loaded with product , that would have been a tricky situation to deal with if it was loaded , the depot at Heysham was supplied by the refinery at Heysham , it was only a small operation , it was built in wartime 1941-2 to supply the RAF with avaition fuel and other petroleum products , many of the finished product tanks were buried into the landscape to avoid detection , but they the German pilots must have been able to see the lansdcape shape from above , the Heysham depot was shared by both Shell oil and BP oil , it was a delight to see the same lorries with diffrent liveries , i got a few photos when i was younger , BP moved to Partington , Gt Manchester and eventually due to the age of the depot and as you know many depots closed due to cost cutting , vehicles were new and technically advanced bigger and faster and could cover longer distances quicker ! and most of all Gas had become a major fuel that was cleaner and fuel oil was not King anymore , the depot closed in 1983 along with many others in the UK ,Shell moved to Haydock even Partington has closed and become a wood yard , Heysham was totally relandscaped all the tankfarms were dug out and it has new businesses park , the only reminder is the maintenance garage the company that bought the land , refabricated the outer shell and blended it to match the rest of the buidings , i always look for it every time i go down to collect my trailer at Heysham dock. i have another view of the depot this time from the river side showing the ship delivering fuel to the terminal.

Thanks Paul for posting the 2nd picture of Dunball terminal…first time ive seen something like that and to see the jetty as well…full marks there…That coastal tanker that ran aground I’m sure it was loaded…they used another tanker to pull it off when the tide was in again…they were lucky as no damage was done…a few red faces I think…Dunball terminal was built in 1956 and as you can see by the many tanks quite big too…a huge tank was built not long after your pictures taken which stored fuel oil…I think you can see it in one of mine…Ive got an old Shell mex and BP magazine where they done a feature on Dunball…will scan it in and post later…many thanks for the info on Heysham…Not sure if it was Partington where the manager of BP Avonmouth came from…his name was Mac Hargraves…used to be a driver there…one of the best managers I worked under…cheers for now…Bryan