Shell loyalty card (other loyalty cards are available)

Thought I would share my experience.
On a three month contract with one haulier and found that, when filling up, my Shell loyalty card was accepted.
Yippee! :wink: :wink:
Long distance tramping and using on average , between 550and 750 litres per week. One point per litre, Ker- Ching!!!

Er, noā€¦
Finally got round to reading the small print . Thereā€™s a 120 point limit per transaction. For a very short while I started filling only one tank at a time but soon got bored filling up at least once every day so scrapped that. Also, I reckon I was spending more on Costa coffee than I was earning points.

Contract finished and after a few weeks I had a letter from Shell with my Waitrose vouchers enclosed. (Other redemption companies are available).

WOW-Ā£18!!!

I now AM looking forward to the 27mile round trip to my nearest Waitrose to redeem my vouchers, bottle of spirits methinks.

I guess I should take the view that it is a freebie, but I fail to see how any car driver putting in 50 litres a fortnight would ever make it worthwhile.

Am I missing something here?

Was a lovely bonus when I had mine too. Worked out about Ā£30 a quarter, but whose going to turn down Ā£120 of amazon vouchers for freeā– ā– ? not meā€¦

Yeah, fair point.

I suppose because we are a ā€œcaptive userā€ and have no choice on fuel supplier, there is no need for them to offer any bonuses at all.

I just wonder why any private car user would bother when they would make a greater saving buying supermarket fuel, often with their own loyalty scheme.

Business car user market maybe?

Long distance tramping using 550l a week? I nearly use that a day.

happysack:
Long distance tramping using 550l a week? I nearly use that a day.

Thats what i was thinking !!

Iā€™ve got a shell loyalty card for private use, Iā€™m up the road to Scotland often and do about 15000 miles, most of which I spend at shell. I get about Ā£2 every 3 months. Big deal.
Be careful with supermarket fuel. Believe it or not itā€™s poor quality. I broke down a couple of years ago with what turned out to be clogged fuel filter because of it

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

a few years ago i was doing nights from ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to gloucester and back, filling up for both me and the day man, approx 400 ltrs per night, 5 nights a weekā€¦
using shell card on bp pump at forton, i could get 400 nectar points per nightā€¦ it bought a few things out of argosā€¦

My shell points are automatically donated to the rspca

puggy:
Yeah, fair point.

I suppose because we are a ā€œcaptive userā€ and have no choice on fuel supplier, there is no need for them to offer any bonuses at all.

I just wonder why any private car user would bother when they would make a greater saving buying supermarket fuel, often with their own loyalty scheme.

Business car user market maybe?

Some of us have cars that wonā€™t run on supermarket horse piddle. Plus triple points on VPower Nitro +.

If I ever get round to activating the card that isā€¦

A.

Shell loyalty card used to be great when they did Air Miles, my credit card also did Air Miles. Between the two of them I used to get at least 1 transatlantic flight per year.

I used to collect the nectar points all year and by Christmas I had about Ā£300 on the card.

westermant:
I used to collect the nectar points all year and by Christmas I had about Ā£300 on the card.

Same we wee using alstar cards for years ā€¦ bugged have limited us now and having to use key fuelā€¦
was a cracking little bonus

I remember when they used to give glasses and other old tat away been clearing my mums house out and found some very 70s glasses with a cartoon tiger in them from esso

kr79:
I remember when they used to give glasses and other old tat away been clearing my mums house out and found some very 70s glasses with a cartoon tiger in them from esso

I remember when Esso were giving away tiger tails. A bit of tiger print cloth with two bits of cotton tape attached. I tied one on the filler neck of my Dads MK 1 Zephyr, to make it look like thereā€™s ā€˜a tiger in the tankā€™ - an advertising slogan at the time :slight_smile:
The old man comes out, goes into one, rips it off the car and chucks it in the bin!
Miserable git :unamused:

We have a shell loyalty card linked to each of our euroshell fuel cards and the company get some sort of benefit. Donā€™t know if we are limited on the number of points though.

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

The Shell loyalty scheme has always looked very poor value to me as it gives you rather less than 0.5p per Ā£1 spent. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick of course :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve got a Shell loyalty card but gave up using it as the ā€œbenefitsā€ are not of much benefit to me. The few quid from Waitrose, you can save by shopping anywhere but Waitrose.
Some garages wont accept it with Shell fuel card anyway, but the funny thing is the most expensive Shell garage (Pear Tree 130.9/litre diesel) do award points.

My Mrs ran our car on diesel tokens for months when I was doing Europe on my Euroshell card, then they put a limit of something like 100 ltrs, so I stopped the pump after every hundred each fill up.
9 times out of 10 the forecourt guy sussed it as many others did the same, and told me to carry on filling up and he would give me receipts in multiples of 100 ltrsā€¦so job sorted.

As far as I have heard they have put even more restrictions on them since those daysā€¦about 8 yrs ago.

Bring back green shield stamps

What about the soup bowls with recipes on them?