Shed loads,jacknived lorries and accidents

Is it my imagination.Or do i hear two to three radio bulletins of the above title on a daily basis along with road closures and diversions to avoid lots of fatal accidents.
It was so quiet in the summer holidays.
The first week the schools went back the chaos resumed.
Why does a fatal accident take so long to clear the road.I know the police have to measure the scene with lasers.
In Europe a tractor will appear and push/pull the stranded vehicles to keep the road open.
The police Jeeps will have a winch and tow cars out of the way.
Lots of shed loads lately.
The radio says jacknived lorry.But i do not believe it.Broken down maybe.It is all Berties fault.If in doubt blame the Bertie.

Motorway cop NZ style with buffers on the cop cars as seen on sky tv.

Hi Toby know what u mean ! Just come up from Salou with rally equipment and cars thro Spain France and into Belguim on the limiter not a problem with traffic any where ! Ship Zeebrugge to Hull come of the docks straight into quein traffic ! This countrys traffic system is way behind other countrys . :imp:

That would be a good title for a documentary, to show how ■■■■ some truck drivers really are!

Any broadcast must be sensational, can’t be three scoffold poles slipped from a 7.5 tonner driven by a half wit, thats not sensational, its a shed load.

Jack knife is the term to describe any stationary lorry thats not precisely straight when it stops, there’ll be thousands of ‘‘jacknifed lorry’’ reports this winter, maybe half a dozen of them will be truly JK’d, the rest simply lost grip and the drive axle slipped sideways, ‘‘a lorry is stuck’’ doesn’t quite cut it on the BBC Panic Station.

The sheer number of lorry accidents doesn’t surprise, we see the antics of monkeys every day, we watch in amazement as their lorry takes wet corners or enters hazards on slippery roads at a much higher speed than we would accept as safe, they leave no room for error or any safety margin, are incapable of reading the road ahead and take no consideration whatsoever of any load they might be carrying into account.

We have drivers of all vehicles doing their own thing without any cosideration and regardless of the mayhem they leave in their wake, cars cutting up lorries and vice versa just one example, inevitably there will be problems.

Then we have the elephant in the room.

The country is simply overpopulated and still the population increases by nearly half a million every year, people’s needs have to be serviced, they travel, they drive (incredibly badly in most cases but nobody gives a toss), we have too many vehicles on an island with too many people on it.

Accidents are just part of the result of the problem.

sayley-boy:
Hi Toby know what u mean ! Just come up from Salou with rally equipment and cars thro Spain France and into Belguim on the limiter not a problem with traffic any where ! Ship Zeebrugge to Hull come of the docks straight into quein traffic ! This countrys traffic system is way behind other countrys . :imp:

Same as me yesterday but going into portsmouth. :neutral_face:

The French toll road tarmac is very smooth.When driving it feels like the truck is floating and very quiet.It reduces fatigue and less wear and tear on the truck.Have you seen the bomb holes and craters at Strensham.
What do tourists and visitors think of that.?
Not one penny spent on the bad state of affairs.And they want £30 to park and bust up the suspension.A biker could fall off a bike and should sue them.

toby1234abc:
The French toll road tarmac is very smooth.When driving it feels like the truck is floating and very quiet.It reduces fatigue and less wear and tear on the truck.Have you seen the bomb holes and craters at Strensham.
What do tourists and visitors think of that.?
Not one penny spent on the bad state of affairs.And they want £30 to park and bust up the suspension.A biker could fall off a bike and should sue them.

^^^ +1

French Peage routes are like driving on a very long, very straight snooker table!!! If only our roads could be a fraction of this quality!!!

Have you been on the m6 lane 1 by Warrington my god surprised cars arnt grounded in the tram lines

I think a lot of this is overturning is down to bad loading by unqualified warehouse staff, bung it on and get it out of the premises. The days when drivers used to load there own trucks and had to drive and be responsible for the outcome have gone, well your still held responsible but it is for someone else’s mistakes.

If you load a lorry and it is top heavy it can overturn quite easily. Some years ago the R.T.R.Lab or some such body overturned a badly loaded lorry at 12 mph going round a roundabout on a test track.

Correct loading like roping and sheeting was something you learned over many years as part of the trade, but now a lot, but not all, of it has been reduced to pre loaded trailer pickups at point A and chauffeur it to point B. If it tipples over or Jacknifes due to poor loading, not necessarily bad driving, you the driver still carry the can.

Many years ago in Huddersfield I loaded an Albion Chieftain with bales of wool from local textile mills for Liverpool docks, I went 3 high and a binder but couldn’t get the remaining 3 bales on so they were picked up by another of our trucks and brought into the depot. The foreman looked at them and told me to square the load up and fit them on. I told him in no uncertain terms that I wasn’t going to do it and if they did I wouldn’t be taking the truck the next day. They sent another driver instead and the following morning when I came in for work there were about 6 drivers rushing about and piling in to a van. When I asked what the panic was one of the lads grinned and said “we are off to Manchester to pick a load of wool up off the road.”

To save paying the tolls i would use the free National roads.They are slow.Hundreds of traffic lights, roundabouts.
Then tractors, combines and other large arable machinery to deal with.
The driving times would dwindle away and you got nowhere fast.
In the tourist season you have congestion too.But some decent stopping places.
The toll saves time and money.
The food on French motorways is a very high standard and all drivers are allowed a jug of wine or beer with your meal.
Plus you get a discount.Free to park.

toby1234abc:
To save paying the tolls i would use the free National roads.They are slow.Hundreds of traffic lights, roundabouts.
Then tractors, combines and other large arable machinery to deal with.
The driving times would dwindle away and you got nowhere fast.
In the tourist season you have congestion too.But some decent stopping places.
The toll saves time and money.
The food on French motorways is a very high standard and all drivers are allowed a jug of wine or beer with your meal.

The Peage system seems to work…the toll roads are used only by those vehicles doing distance (mostly) & local traffic/school-runs/agricultural etc. stick to the Route National. It just works!!! The only people on the toll roads are those that really need to use them. Plus I think the tolls go towards the superb upkeep of the Peage Autoroutes. There’s always plenty of warning if you don’t want to use the Peage system. Great. Just a pipe dream - but it’s what the UK should be aiming towards■■?

toby1234abc:

Are the service areas privately owned by the private operators of the roads ?

Daz1970:
Peage system seems to work…the toll roads are used only by those vehicles doing distance (mostly) & local traffic/school-runs/agricultural etc. stick to the Route National. It just works!!! The only people on the toll roads are those that really need to use them. Plus I think the tolls go towards the superb upkeep of the Peage Autoroutes. There’s always plenty of warning if you don’t want to use the Peage system. Great. Just a pipe dream - but it’s what the UK should be aiming towards■■?

When we start Road pricing on motorways etc do you think the toll should be higher for short junction hopping journeys to keep the strategic roads clear for their primary purpose?

chatting to some on rd lads earlier and the last week or so had been mayhem with fatalities, crashes, fires etc the travel news on radio 2 last night sounded like carnage all over the roads

Yeah, would be more encouraging to try & keep ‘local’ traffic off the motorways - some people will do a few extra miles to avoid any payment whatsoever…Of course we don’t have the road network(s) our continental cousins have at their disposal, so not easy, not easy at all!!!

Daz1970:
Yeah, would be more encouraging to try & keep ‘local’ traffic off the motorways - some people will do a few extra miles to avoid any payment whatsoever…Of course we don’t have the road network(s) our continental cousins have at their disposal, so not easy, not easy at all!!!

And don’t forget frogland is about at least twice the size of the UK with the same population

Juddian:
Any broadcast must be sensational, can’t be three scoffold poles slipped from a 7.5 tonner driven by a half wit, thats not sensational, its a shed load.

Jack knife is the term to describe any stationary lorry thats not precisely straight when it stops, there’ll be thousands of ‘‘jacknifed lorry’’ reports this winter, maybe half a dozen of them will be truly JK’d, the rest simply lost grip and the drive axle slipped sideways, ‘‘a lorry is stuck’’ doesn’t quite cut it on the BBC Panic Station.

The sheer number of lorry accidents doesn’t surprise, we see the antics of monkeys every day, we watch in amazement as their lorry takes wet corners or enters hazards on slippery roads at a much higher speed than we would accept as safe, they leave no room for error or any safety margin, are incapable of reading the road ahead and take no consideration whatsoever of any load they might be carrying into account.

We have drivers of all vehicles doing their own thing without any cosideration and regardless of the mayhem they leave in their wake, cars cutting up lorries and vice versa just one example, inevitably there will be problems.

Then we have the elephant in the room.

The country is simply overpopulated and still the population increases by nearly half a million every year, people’s needs have to be serviced, they travel, they drive (incredibly badly in most cases but nobody gives a toss), we have too many vehicles on an island with too many people on it.

Accidents are just part of the result of the problem.

That seems to sum it up!
and to make the roads even safer lgv tests will soon be allowed in a “rev up and go” truck (auto)

Limit imigration actually start deportation, england is full ,& has been for several years, The country and it’s infrastructure cannot cope with the population,and neither can the NHS or schools as well as housing, It will become even worse next year with the romainians ,All what i have said to me are facts not rasisim ,Oh and make the driving test for the car harder to pass, and increase the min age before they can drive too

Failing the above, build proper road systems like they have in france, many towns have a ring road around the outside of them, here we have to go though them,(backwards thinging)

tommy t:
Limit imigration actually start deportation, england is full ,& has been for several years, The country and it’s infrastructure cannot cope with the population,and neither can the NHS or schools as well as housing, It will become even worse next year with the romainians ,All what i have said to me are facts not rasisim ,Oh and make the driving test for the car harder to pass, and increase the min age before they can drive too

Failing the above, build proper road systems like they have in france, many towns have a ring road around the outside of them, here we have to go though them,(backwards thinging)

^^^^ At last, somebody understands the ‘cause & effect’

tommy t:

I fail to see the link between immigration and accidents involving trucks! more to do with those who pass themselves off as lorry drivers, the ones that think a dolly is something you blow up.

ADR 1:

tommy t:

^^^^ At last, somebody understands the ‘cause & effect’

Only certain bits of England are full,
Next time your on a plane look out of the windows,

Or look at some maps, not much happening East anglia, Northumbria just to name a couple