Sharing your cab on nights out

mac12:
This is when you miss dipper not being here to reply.

I think he would’ve encouraged some form of mutual masterbation each evening with bonus points for who comes first

We always stopped in b&b’s or pubs.
No comparison to sharing a cf

With Rob on this one. With the missus of course but a total stranger no way. A CRB (CdP over here) means nothing but having not yet been caught. The guy could be into anything (ref above gimp), robbery, violence, who knows.
Day trips should be more than enough showing a driver the ropes.

Not a chance in Hell!

Yup, one or both will have to stop in a hotel every night, just part of the investment in training.

I work for a good own account operator, no way would they ask this of us, if needed then hotels it would be.

Not on your nelly.

No spare room in my cab , I already share it with my 6ft imagery friend [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
No spare room in my cab , I already share it with my 6ft imagery friend [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

What’s his name? :laughing:

Drempels:

blue estate:

What’s his name? :laughing:

Sammy [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:laughing:

Nope. Not a chance in hell would I share my cab overnight with a random driver. I have an XF so its got the room but no. Just no. When I started I went with a few different drivers on day work to get a feel for things.

Not a chance. No company can expect to you share a tin can for 2 weeks with someone you don’t know. Have they checked if he has a criminal record? No they haven’t because they aren’t allowed to. So they could potentially be asking you to share a small room with a thief, a burglar, a thug etc they could be asking you to share a cab with someone who has zero hygiene standards. Not a chance it would be happening with me.

I was never asked, but the answer would have started with F and finished with another f.

Suddenly I have a vision of Ashley and Jerwayne from PhoneShop sharing a DAF XF.

Are those white socks bruv?

Yeah

Nah bruv they used to be!

Ha shame!

Pound shop sox bruv, man’s gonna get dry foot!

AndrewG:
With Rob on this one. With the missus of course but a total stranger no way. A CRB (CdP over here) means nothing but having not yet been caught. The guy could be into anything (ref above gimp), robbery, violence, who knows.
Day trips should be more than enough showing a driver the ropes.

It really is one of those situations where the request is so outlandish that it’s hard to find arguments readily at hand to fully justify a refusal.

The chance of unwarranted violence or unwanted ■■■■■■ advances is vanishingly small and possibly insulting to the other person, and probably doesn’t really reflect most people’s intuitive fears.

I think as a starting point it has to be said that to share such close and intimate quarters over a prolonged period with someone, you have to be compatible in personality and personal habits, and ideally be familiar with one another and enjoy each other’s company (or even just social company per se) for such prolonged periods. Otherwise it will cause untold strain and may well lead to cabin fever.

If you’re a clean and tidy person, the other person best be. Whereas if you set a low standard, it won’t do well if the other person isn’t also a dirty rat.

In an occupation where such sharing is not the norm, it can’t be taken for granted that people are amenable and psychologically accustomed in principle to such sharing, that they’ve had the hard edges knocked off their personality and undesirable habits brought under control, those unsuitable to it for whatever reason have been filtered out, and that managers have the accumulated experience to judge whether two people will get on.

Full-time haulage is not like removals or road maintenance. It attracts people who more than the norm prefer their own company and their own space, who have very diverse levels of personal cleanliness, and may have little experience of group working (let alone group living and sleeping).

If I was looking at this as a manager, if I had two ex-forces guys with a similar background who still took care of themselves, were gregarious and easy-going by nature, and were both clearly up for an adventure, I’d take a punt that they would manage the full week out together.

For anyone else I’d consider it a foolhardy arrangement with a serious risk of disaster (including the risk that, even if nobody throws down the gauntlet during the week out, a new hire might have their settlement into the company tainted by any undue stress, and the old hand may begrudge the experience to an extreme degree).

Speaking for myself, I can only recall a minority of colleagues who I would find it plausible (for whatever reason) to share such a small space with for a week without respite, and I don’t know how they’d have felt in return. I wouldn’t countenance accepting sharing with an unknown person.

Strange, I’d had a few drivers offer to share my cab with me :laughing:

For the OP case, not a chance in hell

good_friend:
Strange, I’d had a few drivers offer to share my cab with me :laughing:

And none of them female… :grimacing:

It’s a NO from me! When I got given my wagon and drag to use earlier this year the other driver/team leader who’s driven them for years came out with me for a couple of days on a night out run. There was absolutely no way we would be expected to share the cab at night. He had a hotel and I parked the whole lot in their car park and slept in it [emoji23] I’m surprised I didn’t wake up surrounded by EE trucks that saw me parked there and thought it must be ok [emoji23]

Clearly issues of bad management here.
The quick answer is go with the suggestions of putting 2nd man in hotel at night. To make sure of a space, If you gotta park up early, so be it.

Pushing someone who is obviously trusted enough to be a role model into a corner, isn’t good.

Longer answer is it some junior office worker being insistant? Can lad talk to senior manager?
Are they micromanage freaks?
Write (email) request list of points to be addressed in training? Ask if his new duties involve a pay rise? Ask what training he will receive to qualify him as a trainer?

There is good sense in ‘on the job’ training. Upsetting good existing drivers and putting a newbie with someone who doesn’t want them there, and so is grumpy is bad sense.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

On the other hand…

When I joined Continental Express, I was told to meet up in the yard with my driver and set off for Gibraltar. That’s exactly what happened and we’re still good friends now.

Ok, it doesn’t always work out like that and there was a number of teams who fell out by the time they got to Calais.