shap

which is the old way over shap fell [think I got it right]be nice one day to retrace the route my dad[sadly passed 2008]went in the sixties when he drove,even if its in a car,never been over there but would like to one day

M6 J39 A6.
Takes you Southbound through Kendal.
Look for the caravan sales place on thr rhs, it used to be the old Jungle Transport Cafe. I used to go in with my Dad when he was driving Albions, Commers and Leylands in the 60s.
There is a lay by at the top with a monument to the old drivers there.

shap mem_large_leaney.jpg

I would assume you mean the A6 rather than the M6 which most folks use.

I’d recommend going from Penrith J40, along the A66 east to Kemplay roundabout and then off onto the A6 through Eamont Bridge, through Clifton (location of last battle on English soil), onwards to Shap village. Then carry on over Shap fell and into Kendal. Gives a good idea of the hassles the trucks used to have to encounter, especially in Winter.

Or if you want to make it even more authentic, you could come off at J41 and head south follow signs for Penrith. Go down past the two petrol stations and eventually you’ll hit the Villa Bianca hotel. You then go through the town including the infamous “narrows”, passed Argos and the clocktower and out to the Kemplay roundabout for Eamont Bridge.

It’s a heck of a road even for a car - did it for 14 years and in Winter it gets even more crazy. Don’t know how trucks made it especially going southbound as that is an awfully steep hill.

(I used to live in Penrith so know it quite well).

Interesting.
i might give that a go

trevHCS:
I would assume you mean the A6 rather than the M6 which most folks use.

I’d recommend going from Penrith J40, along the A66 east to Kemplay roundabout and then off onto the A6 through Eamont Bridge, through Clifton (location of last battle on English soil), onwards to Shap village. Then carry on over Shap fell and into Kendal. Gives a good idea of the hassles the trucks used to have to encounter, especially in Winter.

Or if you want to make it even more authentic, you could come off at J41 and head south follow signs for Penrith. Go down past the two petrol stations and eventually you’ll hit the Villa Bianca hotel. You then go through the town including the infamous “narrows”, passed Argos and the clocktower and out to the Kemplay roundabout for Eamont Bridge.

It’s a heck of a road even for a car - did it for 14 years and in Winter it gets even more crazy. Don’t know how trucks made it especially going southbound as that is an awfully steep hill.

(I used to live in Penrith so know it quite well).

Thats when there was real drivers manual gearboxes no power steering and a donkey jacket to keep you warm. Proper bacon sandwiches with the fat dripping down your fingers tea that strong you could stand the spoon up in it. Hee them were the days and no ■■■■■■■ PC bill sh it

trevHCS:

In a low gear and with buttocks firmly clenched. I spent three days snowed in at The Jungle - 64 I think. And I was only in a 12 ton rigid. That plastic fruit got pretty smoky.

thanks for the replies chaps,as I say I will give it a go one day,cheers

image.png

Robertthegreat:
Thats when there was real drivers manual gearboxes no power steering and a donkey jacket to keep you warm. Proper bacon sandwiches with the fat dripping down your fingers tea that strong you could stand the spoon up in it. Hee them were the days and no [zb] PC bill sh it

An old driver of mine in the 80s used to tell me some good tales from the 50s and 60s, of digging each other out of the snow on Shap, using parrafin heaters as night heaters, frozen fuel, going from 35 flat out to hanging on for dear life hitting 60 downhill down Shap in neutral, and those that ended up badly.

He drove for Robsons of Carlisle, and one of the drivers fell in love, and intended to marry one of the ladies in either the Jungle or the joined up buses cafe.
This girl had a bit of history let’s say, and he tried to talk this naive young lad out of it.
He said ‘‘Wtf are you marrying her for, half of Robsons have been through her’’
he justified it by
‘‘Yeh I know, but Robsons aint THAT big a firm, and it’s only HALF of them as you say’’ :laughing:

Hi Robroy ,
You , and others too , might be interested in this forthcoming event .
There is to be an illustrated talk about the A 6 , entitled " A Shap Fell Evening " , by Jean Scott-Smith of the Shap Local History Society , at the Shap Memorial Hall , on Friday October 30 th. , at 7.30 p.m.
The book " The Shap Fell Story " , is to be launched , - an updated version of " The Shap Story ".
All enquiries for the event on 01931 716386 , or 01931 716244.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Scan0050.jpg

First RDC waiting room type story I ever heard was off my Uncle who used to own a haulage firm back in the 60s. Next to all his getting blown up in the war stories his favourite story was taking a load so heavy over Shap the only way to get up the hill was in reverse as that was the only gear low enough.

He did love his war stories. Think Uncle Albert on speed :grimacing:

if you get your timing right , have your supper at shap chippy… i can thoroughly recommend it…

I did some Rally Marshalling a few years ago for the Rally of the Tests, Classic Cars.

The last stage checkpoint was in the lay by at the top of Shap.

Blowing a gale throwing it down with rain and then the fog decended.

We we all set up in high vis flood lights and genny running all sorts. We even had cars not in the rally pulling up and joining the check point as they could see no further than the end of their bonnet. its grim up there in October / November

When we left the check point I drove into town and then started the cross country run to West Yorkshire, i was starting to warm up around Skipton, so snook into the wolly sheep for a quick pint infront of a roaring log fire.

Wilko:
its grim up there in October / November

To be honest, every morning (and some nights) between September and March there’s a serious risk of fog so dense that you’ve got to know where the road goes to have much chance of getting over the top above 10mph. The snow / ice just makes the process a little more interesting. :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t ever want to take an HGV over there as the cross winds on the southern side can blow cars across the road, never mind something taller. It doesn’t blow trucks over so much as blows them either into fields, against the rocks if lucky or over the crash barrier. Have seen a few intrepid / insane drivers take that route when trucks are going over between J38 and J40.