shap summit A6

can anyone tell me what the name of the cafes where at the bottom and tp of shap

ta

The one near the top was the Jungle Cafe which is now a caravan dealership.

Coffeeholic:

Is it me or did you get that wrong Neil? I seem to remember dropping down and into the Jungle, brakes smoking like hell :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Spardo:

Coffeeholic:

Is it me or did you get that wrong Neil? I seem to remember dropping down and into the Jungle, brakes smoking like hell :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Yep I did David, typed the wrong word, either that or it is a new way to spell bottom. :blush: :blush: Still the name and the caravan bit was correct so 2 out of 3 aint bad. :wink: :open_mouth: Maybe I should have had a drink this xmas after all. :wink:

And it was right next to the ‘Leyland clock’, personally I never used brakes on Shap south bound I needed to get up tuther side being a 6LW man :laughing:

borrowed from the internet:

the A6 … I have lunch in a transport cafe. I first travelled the A6 in the Fiftes when it was the main west coast road to Scotland. It climbs up to about 1,350 feet at Shap Summit and then drops down one-in-twelve slopes to High Barrow Bridge. During the fierce winters of the Forties and Fifties lorries slithered and stuck on those slopes. The Jungle cafe stood near the top, and displayed photographs of lines of lorries stuck in snow.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/2001-06/0992591516

http://212.67.202.8/~ruralweb/contribute_editable/shap_history_society/a6_shap_fell.htm

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/ENG-WESTMORLAND/2002-05/1021141147

i often come off the m6 and do shap along the old a6 just to hear the ghosts, it adds about half an hour to journey time but so what?

its a doddle to drive and much less severe than you might imagine if you aint ever driven it but i guess lorries back then didnt have powerful engines and brakes etc

Harry Monk:
its a doddle to drive and much less severe than you might imagine if you aint ever driven it but i guess lorries back then didnt have powerful engines and brakes etc

thats it harry, really anything made after about 1985 would be sure to ■■■■ it, i remember warmington down by banbury used to be a terror with a full load and a 180, and we used to have to go through the button on corley bank, :laughing: there surely cant be many motorway banks now that they even change down on!

Mal:

Harry Monk:

thats it harry, really anything made after about 1985 would be sure to [zb] it, i remember warmington down by banbury used to be a terror with a full load and a 180, and we used to have to go through the button on corley bank, :laughing: there surely cant be many motorway banks now that they even change down on!

Mal , you aint driven a pile ‘o’ crap, Lada in disguise, ERF ecx with a 300 engine then,lol
Only plated to 28 tonne, and carrying chilled food for Boots, but have to knock down half a cog on most big hills like Barnsley and Brighouse Brews and Windy Hill at M62 21 to 22.
Just ask Dafman about the 270 Daf he drove a few years ago doing the same job,lol. That thing slowed down BEFORE it got to a hill, and was down to less than 40 in 7th trying to get up the bigger ones. Must admit , it went like stink on the flat though.

Stuart

i know what youre saying stuart, sometimes a motor is weak in comparison is that 300 motor a m.a.n. engine? but believe me, 32 tons @ 180 of gardners best bhp and a straight six box is in completely another category, miss that change from 2nd to 1st (if your blanket gets tangled!) and youre dead in the water! actually i did run a 150 @ 32 tons but i was naive then :laughing: even the scania lb81 i remember was a nightmare fully friehted, well it was a bulker on scrap so maybe over frieghted, on some very steep hills, (and to miss a gear with a syncrho youve got ot be ultra crap), but they just would run out of steam.

oh, by the way, i ran a lada riva estate for 3yrs and another one a sammara for 5 years, riva was £375 sammara was 600 quid, sold the riva to russians for 750 cash, and the samarra went to a kid down the street for 40 quid so, about 150 quid for 8 years motoring it was great value for mony! :wink:

Interesting links Jonathon, I think we can establish that ‘The Eagle’s Nest’
(which I don’t remember) was at the top, and ‘The Jungle’ (which I
do) was at the bottom, despite

Driveroneuk:
The Jungle cafe stood near the top, and displayed
photographs of lines of lorries stuck in snow.

which I think we are agreed is wrong :unamused: , and sounds like the old Stainmore
cafe with it’s picture gallery of the winter of 1947.

That KM looks positively modern compared to the 2 LAD Albions and and the
Commer ‘knocker’. My first experience of the KM was when I came back from
Oz in about '69 or '70 and got a start at Midland Storage of West Hallam (the
old Storage, cream, red, and green, not the later dark blue Mercs).
Talking to my mate the night before I started he said they were running Atkis
and KMs and explained that the latter were ‘overgrown TKs’. A nice cab for
those days but not top weight. I had actually seen one in outback
New South Wales pulling a low loader with a giant machine on board. The KM
cab sat high up in the air like a pimple on top of the Cat that powered
it :open_mouth: :laughing: .

Salut, David.

i liked the km as well david, they were an half decent cab but like you say not top weight. is that a commer or a karrier bantam? i know theyre similar, but the chassis looks pretty short to me. i know the commers looked a bit antique, but i do have a liking for them and the 2strokes sound great! :smiley:

Mal:
oh, by the way, i ran a lada riva estate for 3yrs and another one a sammara for 5 years, riva was £375 sammara was 600 quid, sold the riva to russians for 750 cash, and the samarra went to a kid down the street for 40 quid so, about 150 quid for 8 years motoring it was great value for mony! :wink:

Must apologise Mal, I think I did Lada a bit of a discedit by comparing them with an ERF ecx. :smiley:

Used to know quite a few people who wouldnt buy anything other than Ladas. Tough enough to pull a house down they’d say.

Stuart

:laughing: surely the ecx aint THAT bad stuart! theyre cheap motors the lada, but as uncomfortable a car as you ewill ever drive, my current banger (kreg ■■■■■■ lx) is a roller in comparison!