Severn crossing

motorists are being asked their views on improvements for the severn crossings,i can think of one straight away,make it free to cross or at the very least make it reasonable pricewise,i personally do not pay to cross as I am employed so the company pays but it is still a rip off,nearly £20 to cross the bridge for HGVs,i realise the cost is placed on the customer when a job is done but nearly £20 is not right,i understand the bridge has to be maintained but if they charged say £2.50 for cars and a fixed £5 for every other vehicle, that is reasonable and the owners would still make plenty of money because of the amount of vehicles going into wales everyday,thats just my opinion anyway

They could make it cheaper but charge both ways instead of just the 1

All roads have to be maintained not just bridges

My argument is why we have to pay in the first place, when we pay a very high rate of tax…its the same with the dartford tolls and others around the uk.

I don’t think paying for it is a bad thing, it keeps the bridge serviced and keeps the cost off the VED of people that do not use the bridge. I just think they should be fair, reduce the price by 50%, but charge for both directions.

If they charged us both ways we would then be queuing both ways.

SEDriver:
I don’t think paying for it is a bad thing, it keeps the bridge serviced and keeps the cost off the VED of people that do not use the bridge. I just think they should be fair, reduce the price by 50%, but charge for both directions.

Isn’t that the plan■■?

Blow it up,why the ■■■■ does anyone want to go to South Wales.

It always amazes me that when a road/ motorway crosses water they make you pay…there’s of miles of elevated motorways and dual carriageways that are technically bridges (A40 & M4 in West London and M6 at Brum that spring to mind) where you don’t need to pay any extra.

Still cheaper than going the other ways plus your boss will build it into the rates

GORDON 50:
It always amazes me that when a road/ motorway crosses water they make you pay…there’s of miles of elevated motorways and dual carriageways that are technically bridges (A40 & M4 in West London and M6 at Brum that spring to mind) where you don’t need to pay any extra.

You only have to pay if there is no alternative. Severn Bridge alternative is around Gloucester. Dartford alternative is either the Woolwich Ferry or Blackwall (if not to high) .
Tamar bridge alternative is downtown Cornwall… :open_mouth:
Ford road bridge alternative is Kincardine bridge.

Brum elevated M5 and M6 can easily be bypassed, causing massive problems on surrounding roads. Case in point, the M6 toll road was build to alleviate the M6 bottle neck… but rather than pay, people use other, congested roads.

The Government are going to halve the price of the Severn Crossing soon I believe.

Darkside:
The Government are going to halve the price of the Severn Crossing soon I believe.

Unless the government pays the owners half the fee, the government has little to say about it. The Welsh Assembly has been using g that carrot as a vote puller for a while too. :stuck_out_tongue:

peter1974:
Blow it up,why the [zb] does anyone want to go to South Wales.

+1

nick2008:

peter1974:
Blow it up,why the [zb] does anyone want to go to South Wales.

+1

Funnily, the Welsh have harboured a similar attitude for years. Anything that keeps the Saesneg out. :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

Darkside:

Unless the government pays the owners half the fee, the government has little to say about it. The Welsh Assembly has been using g that carrot as a vote puller for a while too. :stuck_out_tongue:

The bridges are currently privately owned, and due to be handed back to UK government late 2017, and the only cut in price will be the VAT.
And according to the Welsh First Minister, Whitehall will not be prepared to share the tolls collected with Wales when it does go back into public ownership.

You do not need an alternative to the Forth Bridge, all bridges are toll free in Scotland, as are prescriptions, student fees, and elderly care in homes, you do not have to sell your house to pay for it, I have often wondered why this is not the case in the rest of the UK?, oh I forgot, Westminster do not give a ■■■■ about you, unlike Holyrood, which has the people of Scotlands interests at heart, or as much as that bunch of tory ■■■■■ will let them, after the EU Referendum, you should all be voting for independence as well, I think.
Sapper

sapper:
You do not need an alternative to the Forth Bridge, all bridges are toll free in Scotland, as are prescriptions, student fees, and elderly care in homes, you do not have to sell your house to pay for it, I have often wondered why this is not the case in the rest of the UK?, oh I forgot, Westminster do not give a [zb] about you, unlike Holyrood, which has the people of Scotlands interests at heart, or as much as that bunch of tory [zb] will let them, after the EU Referendum, you should all be voting for independence as well, I think.
Sapper

Yes but remember that it was the Scottish MP that voted on England tuition fees ( they votes for the higher rate ) why should they be allowed to vote on only thing that concern England when the English are not allowed a say on Scottish

sapper:
You do not need an alternative to the Forth Bridge, all bridges are toll free in Scotland, as are prescriptions, student fees, and elderly care in homes, you do not have to sell your house to pay for it, I have often wondered why this is not the case in the rest of the UK?, oh I forgot, Westminster do not give a [zb] about you, unlike Holyrood, which has the people of Scotlands interests at heart, or as much as that bunch of tory [zb] will let them, after the EU Referendum, you should all be voting for independence as well, I think.
Sapper

Holyrood can only be so generous because it is subsidised out of English taxes through the Barnett Formula. I’d have let the Scots be independent as I’d be better off, as would most of us South of the Border.

> the nodding donkey:
> > nick2008:
> > > peter1974:
> > > Blow it up,why the [zb] does anyone want to go to South Wales.
> >
> >
> > +1
>
>
>
> Funnily, the Welsh have harboured a similar attitude for years. Anything that keeps the Saesneg out. :grimacing:

Saesneg = Sausnach in Cornish -:slight_smile:

As in ‘Kernow Bys Vycken Braman Gas An Sousen’

(Sousen is Plural for Sausnach/Saesneg/ & what the Jocks call Sassenach)

Retreat into the distance until after the Euro Wendyball Tournament is over