Several Tests Failed

How do you trainers handle your trainees who fail several driving tests before passing? Do you blame yourselves for this or is it just a mind game with the student? Do some give up after failing or do you get more with a determined mind set … Just curious that’s all …

Interesting question. In my book, there’s no question of anyone being blamed. We are confident of our consistent quality of tuition which is demonstrated in the exceptional pass rate. But we do have some candidates who are not going to pass their test first time. Most of the time this is purely nerves. Often, the experience of taking a test (or even two) coupled with plenty of encouragement will get the desired result.

We take some of the pressure out the financial situation by discounting any further training by 50%, so this can help in some cases.

I don’t believe in folks continuing to take tests like playing the lottery, in the hope that they might eventually pass.

In every 1500 - 2000 candidates we will have 1 person who just hasn’t got sufficient aptitude to sensibly continue and pass the test. We don’t take any more money from this tiny minority as it would be unfair. There is a strange assumption that anyone can drive a truck. Very often true - but there are these very rare exceptions.

It’s vitally important that trainers treat all candidates in a way that will achieve the pass. It’s just as important to be honest and say when it’s not going to happen. That way, we can all sleep at night.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply Peter, new trainee drivers seeing this reply will hopefully be encouraged to pay you a visit offering the discounts should they need it …

Thanks. I work on the simple principle that we have to make a profit - once. So we make that on the course fees. Having done that we don’t keep coming back for another bite of the cherry. No-one gets it wrong on purpose, so if it does go wrong, why penalise anyone?

Worked this way for years and IMO it’s the honourable way of sorting it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete has described the process perfectly.
Taking a test is 40% ability 60% mental strength. In my experience most candidates are ready but fear kicks in.

Candidates focus on what can go wrong. They really focus on this. Instead focus on the next 15 seconds. Say to yourself could I do anything better in the next 15 seconds. The answer is normally Yes so do it.

The test is not hard to pass. Trust me I know

Good luck this week

I’m not a trainer but I imagine a part of any test is luck, luck that another muppet on the road or pedestrian doesn’t do something to throw the learner.
My car instructor told me 1. If you do something wrong just stay calm and correct yourself, even if you go left instead of right just do it correctly.
2. Your still a learner the examiner won’t expect you to be perfect!

All those years ago those two nuggets took the pressure and nerves of a bit!
Passed car 1st time, seemed to be done in 20 mins and the lgv test examiner took long route back as we were also ahead of schedule and done :smiley:

spacemanZ10:
I’m not a trainer but I imagine a part of any test is luck, luck that another muppet on the road or pedestrian doesn’t do something to throw the learner.

Luck … I think not … but I do take the point that others can mentally throw someone on test if the learner is of that mind set