Settling for SUB- STANDARD training

I have to ask, why oh why do people settle for sub-standard training and vehicles for training :question: :question: :question:

We have just helped a customer pass her test(having had 3 elsewhere).Her confidence was shot - but she was really competent.

The company she paid almost £2000 to had a training vehicle which had a 5th gear that was almost impossible to select, so she was told NOT TO USE IT :unamused: :unamused: . It is before the age where it needs a drivers seat belt - so DOESN’T HAVE ONE :unamused: :unamused: - i could go on and on listing so much but really only want to know WHY :question: :question: .

John

Because there is no regulation in the Training Industry.

Ring a bell?

dar1976:
Because there is no regulation in the Training Industry.

Ring a bell?

Alarm bell!!! - I did offer to head something up but hey :angry:

Simple. The first question that is asked is “how much?” And that’s not unreasonable. Can’t ever remember being asked if our gearboxes work properly, instructor qualifications, facilities etc etc.

Until there is a body with teeth regulating this industry, it’s going to continue as a “buyer beware” situation.

In the meantime, we’ll carry on clearing up other trainers’ mistakes. Surely we’ll win in the end?

Vast majority of our work is word of mouth recommendation. Presumably the guy with the dicky gearbox isn’t going to get much of that.

There is little or no appetite for self regulating the industry and the Minister doesn’t seem overly bothered.

In the meantime, people will waste thousands of pounds buying cheap training delivered by unqualified instructors using scrap trucks.

And those who are more prudent may look a little further than price alone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ayup Peter, long time no see… i used to work for artic school hgv- psv, jim was the owner sadley passed away now… i think you will remember him… we both used to see you at Watnal notts, in the mid 80’s it was quite popular at the time, i know what is being said here i thought the bad uns had been weeded out by now , ive had guys wanting to go up from class 2 to one , we did teach double de clutching half these guys looked at you as though you were talking a differant language… wots that mean and gear change exercise never heard of that… you just had to go back to basics… not there fault but poor chaps thought you were having them on, good to see your still at it , best regards. ps bet your scratching your head now thinking who ? cheers for now. :slight_smile:

i used to work for artic school hgv- psv, jim was the owner

Yes, I remember you both and I knew Jim was very poorly. I spent a while using Lightwood so I kept up with him a bit.

Trucks now are so easy to drive in comparison = but the problem is that the job is rife with rip off merchants running trucks that are well past their sell by date. That and the standard of training which is often abysmal.

Good to hear from you. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry about that Pete , i cant remember where ive posted , lol, glad you remember us, the good old days i would say… ay i can remember you coming upto Lightwood, yes trucks have come on so much… last one i was driving FH12 globe trotter… semi-auto great bit of kit… thats just my opinion , its good to see you are doing well Pete… thought you might have put your feet up by now so to speak… all the best to you im sure we will speak on here again, bye for now, shytalk.

When I first looked at training for HGV1 as it was I asked is there a toilet,was told no.Had to pee at the side of the trailer.The guy is still on the road.