Settle an argument!

A mate of mine has today seen another driver with a snapped back axle on a bulker. He drove it for 5 miles like that until he got to tipping point. Now this guys base is a good 400 mile trip from where he currently is. My mate reckons it would be totally acceptable in the eyes of the law to tip the trailer, strap up the back axle and be back on his merry way to Scotland. I on the other hand think DVSA would come down like a ton of bricks on the operator of the vehicle was to be pulled over whilst the back axle was strapped up, especially considering the distance he was travelling.

Your thoughts please?

Matt.

I don’t think you can do it unless it’s a lifting axle

Perfectly acceptable empty provided it’s secured in a way that’s no danger to other road users.

Some trailers come with valves fitted to isolate individual air bags. You lower whole trailer, use the valves to isolate the air bags on the axle with flat tyre/issue, then there are metal hooks that locate between the axle and body, raise the suspension and off you go. There is often little other option on trailers too tall to be practical to low-loader.

As long as the other axles fall within the weight limits and it’s not causing a danger to other road users then I don’t see a reason why not.

you lost :wink:

there we go, all settled for you :grimacing:

lol looks like it. Never mind.

I.ve done it with a shattered brake disc and gone from Bristol back to Middlesbrough no problem, drop the air out the suspension, cut the pipe to the bags on damaged axle, chain it up then lift the suspension back up and the damaged axle comes off the ground, job done :sunglasses:

I had a brake disc seperate and lock the tyre up, tyre was buggered. Strapped the axle up to run it home, and after about 30 minutes got a tug by VOSA, they looked over it, checked my defect report had been written out and waved me on my way.

Then tyre was not this bad when I first stopped, but as it was buuggered I dragged it about 2 miles so I was off the hard shoulder to strap the axle up