Service parking and tail swing

Probably seems like a difficult one to answer and I’d imagine most don’t give much thought to it but does anyone have any tried and tested methods of pulling out of tight service parking with trucks left, right and opposite without having any tail swing collisions. I’ve never had one but as you can’t see what’s going on back there it’s always a bit of a worry. Currently I’m pulling as far out as I can and then quick full lock when I can just get out within my turning circle. Anyone got anything more fool proof?

Not sure about a better method but you’re right they are bloody tight most of them parking bays at services I rarely use them anymore but I used to hate overnight parking in them dreading pulling away in the morning.

If it looks dodgy, get out and look. Never risk it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As mentioned never be too shy to have I look I do sometimes and I’ve been at it a while now, think how foolish you’ll feel phoning the boss and telling him you’ve hit a parked vehicle.

As said if in doubt get out and have a look won’t hurt but hitting a unit will,Knutsford south a favourite for that due to the daft design.
Drive forward far as you can then carefully swing out slowly window open in case a toot of a horn warns what you can’t see or ask a driver to watch you out most drivers will watch you out,doesn’t matter how long you have been driving a tight spot is a tight spot.

As above, drive out straight till the point of turn, start the turn just a fraction then get out nip back and have a look see how its working out, just the same as you would if you were reversing into that same spot.

You can get a rough idea of tail swing by looking at the trailer axles, 3 down and generally on smooth ground it pivots on the middle.

Two axles down and it pivots at the mid way point between the two axles, generally most trailers lift the front axle but some lift the rear axle and these buggers you have to be really careful with because with the rear axle raised the trailer has in theory had a 2ft extension nailed on the arse end because its going to pivot at a midway point between the front two, very dodgy.

Where you have to be doubly careful is in moving forward to the turning point might just be enough to trigger an automatic rear lifter to do its thing if you are empty or lightly loaded, so unbeknown to you as you make that turn the pivot point has shifted 2ft forward, if such a thing happens just switch engine off which will let the axle drop again.

This same auto axle lifting you can cancel if its to your advantage when reversing in somewhere.

A front lifter up gives you the miminal tail swing possible with the trailer you are using because it will pivot at the midway point between the two rear axles.

Sounds complicated, but it all comes to you in the end.

Most decent drivers will hop out and watch the blind side for you, especially if its their lorry in the firing line :wink:

Also helps if driver’s when they park up use a bit of common sense and don’t park too far forward if it’s a tight get out.
Never witnessed any driver get out and watch another when manoeuvring out of a ■■■■■■■■■■■■.

I hate how tight, with the bare minimum of ‘sympathetic’ entry and exit parking spaces with have in the profession. It screams to me that when building a services do they ask: How many Truck spaces are we obliged to have to get planning permission, and is this half arsed attempted to minimise the cost acceptable? :open_mouth:

Then we have the junctions where we reintegrated with the general (car) traffic.
How many of those do we encounter where you have to give way to left (in our blind area) as it’s less than 90 degree’s :unamused:

never had this problem with the old 40 footers with the axle right at the back :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:
never had this problem with the old 40 footers with the axle right at the back :smiley:

Too true, our new fridges seem to have the axles slightly further forward than most as they have an underslung tail lift so we have to be extra careful of the tail swing.

Its even more fun with the longer trailers with the steering rear axle !! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tooz:
Its even more fun with the longer trailers with the steering rear axle !! :stuck_out_tongue:

Too right, it’s fun with our 15:6m trailers if turning 90 degrees right you have to be careful not to wipe anyone out on the pavement on the near side.

Was watching a rear steer today (I’ve never driven one), it does look weird turning the corner. I could see you had to drive it completely differently and always thinking about it, especially about leaving space on the outside for the trailer to turn in to… I’m not sure I want to try! :open_mouth:

They do swing out about 4ft when doing a sharp turn, so if you drive with them like you have a normal trailer then you will be hitting a few walls and parked cars etc :open_mouth:

oh and they can be a bugger to reverse when the rear wheels decide not to lock when you go backwards :laughing:

Tooz:
They do swing out about 4ft when doing a sharp turn, so if you drive with them like you have a normal trailer then you will be hitting a few walls and parked cars etc :open_mouth:

oh and they can be a bugger to reverse when the rear wheels decide not to lock when you go backwards :laughing:

We only have 15.6 m trailers and they don’t lock .

We have what i call the push me, pull me rods system on our rear steer trailers & like others have said you need to allow room for the rear of the trailer to step out, on ours you need to allow about 2-3 feet & instead of making a wide swing like with a fixed axle you almost cut in tight & the rear wheels steer around