Service pack 2

Has anyone else had problems with it?

OK… it’s due out here any min… but I tried to download and got as far as backing up files and then it stuck and would not go any further. Has anyone else tried to download? Surely it ain’t only me?

I did it Thursday evening, No Problems (that I’ve found :laughing: ) It took quite a while and I’ve got 1Mbps Broadband connection and a new PC.

Dave

I am waiting for a while for everyone else to find the problems :wink:

then I will probably get it on CD - it’s a long download on dial-up :angry:

Quite honestly wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. I’ll not be installing it for at least 6 months until microsoft have fixed the new bugs they have introduced :imp: :imp:

Also it is known to stop a number of applications from running but I haven’t seen a list as yet. A friend of mine had it on a test machine for his company. He advised give it a wide berth for just now.

I understand that Bill is trying to keep the bugs to a min by allowing windows to update as new updates are availiable. I think that this service pack is trying to get rid of previous bugs, and it is trying to get around some of MS’s past security vulnerabilities (gaping) It’s the biggest service pack in prelude to the new OS in about 2006 I think? Code named ‘Longhorn’ for now. MS are being very deliberate about updates … it’s quite hard to get an entire download of service pack 2 (in my opinion) I was doing alright until I went to set a restore point, then it went doolally. I think (but I may be wrong) that service pack2 identifies any non registered MS software. The new service pack will sniff it out and tries to stem the flow of illegal copies of software, thus forcing everyone to buy software.

I think that everyone should go and have a lil look around the MS site, the best advice that they are given right now is to ensure that firewall, and virus scanners are up to date, and to make sure that windows update is permitted to access the net (for automatic downloads)

This is the beginning of the end for free software IMO.

Umm my "copy " of XP isnt umm quite as Bill would wish it to be if you know what i mean;), i never use a firewall but do have anti virus software and ad aware to stop anything going on in my machine.

I also dont use anything like outlook or express i ONLY use web based mail servers and never seem to have any problems if i do i just format the H/D and start again,i save anything i need to on the way so i dont lose anythin i need.

Microsoft know the most commonly pirated licence numbers for WIN XP. Service Pack 2 will not install on any PC with a known pirated number. Feel sorry for those who bought their copy thinking it was a legal one and will now find out it isn’t.

Anyone with a wireless laptop be aware installing SP2 may disable your wireless connection. MS have released a patch for the problem download it before you install SP2 but only install it if you have problems. I’d advise having a read through the list of programs that may behave differently after installing SP2. This will enable you to download any patches you need before installing it.

To find out more go here.

support.microsoft.com/default.as … ;xpsp2swhw

I’ve installed SP2 on all our home and a few mates’ PC’s so far no problems apart from the laptop one.

Colingl:
Microsoft know the most commonly pirated licence numbers for WIN XP. Service Pack 2 will not install on any PC with a known pirated number. Feel sorry for those who bought their copy thinking it was a legal one and will now find out it isn’t.

Sorry to tell you Colin but your wrong…SP2 has already been hacked the hell out of…if you know where to look you can download win XP corperate edition already with SP2 update installed on it and dont even need to put in a licence number.

Bully

My Win XP pro corp works fine as it is! :smiley:

So I wont be fixing it, because it isn’t broken!

Bully… you are in the US. The US is about 3 years ahead of UK software and computer technology. It is relatively easy to find if you know what to look for, true.

I think that if this a site for truckers to learn, then it would be good to have more of an explanation about what service pack 2 means, and what the disadvantages and advantages of it are. I could write more but I am not really qualified to do so. I would hope that someone else who has more puter knowledge than I do ( and that wouldn’t be difficult) would explain Service Pack 2.

I often feel like the thick one, because I ask questions about something that seems oh so very obvious to everyone else.

I would really like to hear more about what SP2 is, and what is means, and the best way to get it, from all forum members… at risk of making a ■■■ out of myself… if this really is a peer forum, I would really like to see people daring to ask the ‘stupid’ questions … they is usually the ones that everyone wanted to ask anyway :wink:

Can someone tell me what service pack 2 is please? (First ‘stupid’ question)

runaroundtel:
Can someone tell me what service pack 2 is please? (First ‘stupid’ question)

Try this Tel is should give you most of the answers.

microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Colingl wrote:

Sorry to tell you Colin but your wrong…SP2 has already been hacked the hell out of…if you know where to look you can download win XP corperate edition already with SP2 update installed on it and dont even need to put in a licence number.

Bully

Yes Bully I have seen those down loads as well (guess where most of my music comes from :wink: :wink: ) but the info I get reguarly form Microsoft advises SP2 will not install on certain licence numbers. Now I suppose this could just be bluster from Microsoft, after all they won’t admit publicly that their software can be hacked into but we all know it can…look at the number of viruses going about.

Just had a quicklook at the WIN XP newsgroups and there seem to be a number of people having quite a few problems. Think I’ll just wait a while before installing it.

Second Stupid Question

Whats Windows XP?

Im still using 98 first edition, and it doesnt give me any problems. Yet!

Colingl:

Colingl wrote:

Bully

Yes Bully I have seen those down loads as well (guess where most of my music comes from :wink: :wink: ) but the info I get reguarly form Microsoft advises SP2 will not install on certain licence numbers. Now I suppose this could just be bluster from Microsoft, after all they won’t admit publicly that their software can be hacked into but we all know it can…look at the number of viruses going about.

Just had a quicklook at the WIN XP newsgroups and there seem to be a number of people having quite a few problems. Think I’ll just wait a while before installing it.

I agree with you colin and I will not be installing it yet.

Bully

OK, well I am a bit of a thick one about puters, but thank you jammy for putting that link up there.
Service pack two for XP was due to be released 2 months ago, but MS have delayed it because they want to ensure that they have stablised it.

Service pack two (SP2) is a free download for any users of the XP OS (operating system) The download is intended to patch various security vulnerabilities.

MS (Microsoft) have delayed the relase of SP2 for 2 months now, because they don’t think that enough XP users have downloaded previous patches,
and the less users who go to the MS site for updates, means that MS do not have enough data in order to ensure that past bugs have been sorted out.

In very general terms, MS sell us a bunch of dodgey software, and then realise that there are holes or insecure places in it, and then they want us to blow the whistle on them, so that they can improve on their software.
(is it any wonder that people get illegal software?)

MS are now asking that everyone who runs on an XP platform (if you use windows XP) to ensure that you have automatic updates enabled. Automatic updates means that you do not have to seek patches for MS mistakes…instead they will deliver them to your puter gratis (free of charge)

The two month delay seems to be because MS have been in hot water cos they have law suits to contend with…

SP2 is advisable when it is ready to download, as are all MS patches.

For thick people like me… I went to the MS site and allowed a scan of updates, and then I updated the ‘critical’ security patches. It is really only the critical updates that you need look into.
It seems that as of now, MS will have to release SP2 as only partly finished.

Best advice for anyone like me… who still has a hint of trust in MS… update often, and ensure that firewall and virus scan are up to date.

TY :slight_smile: from thick puter user.

HEY! i just found this after thinking about posting my troubles with sp2 today. im a novice pc user, i have norton 2004 antivirus and firewall. i had an update msg flash up last night from microsoft, i read the blurb and decided to install it...... im on broadband at 512k (i think… could be 600k) and it took bloody hours! msn and internet explorer worked ok when i went to bed… tried to get on this morning and it was zebideed . i think its possibly the firewalls (windows and norton) fighting each other. my mrs has kind of sorted it… uninstalled norton, went back to an earlier restore point and reinstalled norton. but ive just ran a virus scan and i have a "threat" i think it said. it let me delete one but the others still there. some kind of ■■■■ dialler. will this cause me big problems as it knows its there? i mistakenly (honest :laughing: :laughing: :blush: ) clicked on a free ■■■■ ad in another forum a few weeks ago (esato. (mobile fones)). is it difficult to get the pc back to the original settings as it came with? i have an original operating system cd. sorry if this reads rubbish im not very confident pc wise! thanks- jon

JONBOY@RH

Search for the Diallers folder on your C: drive in Program Files and delete it. If it returns turn off ‘System Restore’ then search for the ‘Diallers’ folder in ‘Program Files’ and delete it, then run your AV. Now turn ‘System Restore’ back on.
The reason you need to turn system restore off is its files are protected from deletion and if a virus is in there it will show up again even after running your AV scanner.
Norton and XP’s firewall will run together quite happily although some don’t recommend running two firewalls. My choice of the two would be forget XP’s and use Norton.
To wipe it clean and reinstall XP is fairly easy but I would leave that as a last resort. Is it just the XP disk or a System Recovery disk from the PC makers?