Seriously considering HGV as a career.... pros / cons

> Carryfast:
> Not much point in asking the question in that case.
> I’ll let you enlighten those of us not worthy of answering it.
> I do know the issues and links regarding running in high temperatures and tyre pressures you know somtimes higher pressures can actually reduce tyre temperatures while sometimes high pressures combined with high temperatures will actually blow a tyre apart.
>
> Precautions haven’t got a clue other than those regardless of destination.

At last a confession that you do not know one of the basics of running on 15" wheels

whisperingsmith:
> Carryfast:
> Not much point in asking the question in that case.
> I’ll let you enlighten those of us not worthy of answering it.
> I do know the issues and links regarding running in high temperatures and tyre pressures you know somtimes higher pressures can actually reduce tyre temperatures while sometimes high pressures combined with high temperatures will actually blow a tyre apart.
>
> Precautions haven’t got a clue other than those regardless of destination.

At last a confession that you do not know one of the basics of running on 15" wheels

You’re the one who obviously didn’t/can’t answer your own question.
I said I didn’t have a clue what you’re talking about.
You know like what changes in those ‘basics’ regardless of destination or even wheel size ?.
Smaller wheels just effectively means more stress, including heat stress, on the tyre for an equivalent running speed and distance so more likely to fail than a larger diametre tyre.
What difference does it make to that knowledge whether I’m driving a step frame ( or a drawbar trailer ) with small wheels to Dewsbury or Milan or Doha ?.
Just like all the other elitist bs. :unamused:

So wheel size is elitist now?

Carryfast:

whisperingsmith:
> Carryfast:
> Ironically there is no place in the industry now for those who prefer distance work including accepting the downsides of that.
> The job is far more suited to the type of work which you’ve described mostly because of the political climate which wants to return the road transport industry to its status during the 1930’s a local delivery service. :bulb:

You do talk B**ll*cks CF

I think I’m a little older than you at 74, but I’ve been offered any type of work I like if I come out of retirement, Local, Distance, Tramping or European, they say they’ll tailor the job to as close as they can to what I would like and they’ll pay for DCPC.

Blimey the so face fits club actually provides lifetime membership and that’s just agency work. :laughing:
Let me guess ‘inexperienced’ drivers have to ‘start at the bottom’ on local multi drop or driving a hiab/ scaffold wagon around the streets unless/until they are accepted into the ‘club’.
Which is probably why at 74 you’re supposedly still being asked to do regular international runs.
But at 62 I can’t get a job driving cars for the local garages because of too much competition from younger workers who are rightly doing whatever it takes to avoid driving a truck.
You couldn’t make it up.

I doubt any competition from younger drivers exists, the local garage manager probably hides when you walk onto his forecourt, he doesn’t want to be told how to do his job by someone who hasn’t a clue how it should be done.

Did you ever appear on The Fast Show?

> switchlogic:
> So wheel size is elitist now?

I’ll hazard a guess Switchy it’s more than just our wheel size :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

whisperingsmith:
> switchlogic:
> So wheel size is elitist now?

I’ll hazard a guess Switchy it’s more than just our wheel size :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

We need to come up with an elite code word we can use to communicate with each other.

I left an office job 3.5 years ago and wouldn’t go back. Commercial recycling round where I now know my route inside out and have very little stress - don’t rely on sat nav at all and don’t get grief if I bring back a few jobs.

I’m getting about £35k for 9.5hr days with the odd hour’s overtime here and there. But dustcarts aren’t for everyone. I like getting out for a minute or two every 5-10 mins. Makes the day go fast and keeps me limber without being physically gruelling in any way. Spend a good couple hours chatting with my fellow drivers on my earpiece each day which keeps my from feeling isolated. As I’m usually just pottering around industrial estates etc I can chat without feeling that it effects my driving/causes distraction.

Tailschwing:
I left an office job 3.5 years ago and wouldn’t go back. Commercial recycling round where I now know my route inside out and have very little stress - don’t rely on sat nav at all and don’t get grief if I bring back a few jobs.

I’m getting about £35k for 9.5hr days with the odd hour’s overtime here and there. But dustcarts aren’t for everyone. I like getting out for a minute or two every 5-10 mins. Makes the day go fast and keeps me limber without being physically gruelling in any way. Spend a good couple hours chatting with my fellow drivers on my earpiece each day which keeps my from feeling isolated. As I’m usually just pottering around industrial estates etc I can chat without feeling that it effects my driving/causes distraction.

This is what its all about, find a niche that suits yourself. I have done some dirty jobs waste, coal and sewage tanker. There were showers so could go home as fresh as a daisy.

Mate, don’t even consider thit ■■■■■■ industry for a second, if you don’t want to end up with stress, or heart attack, as some drivers have at the place where I work.
The job itself looks good from a distance, but once you start dealing with planners and management, you will quickly realise what a cr4p industry it is.
Why do you think there is shortage of drivers, all hauliers are crying for drivers and there are twoce as much class 1 licence holders as there are drivers working?
Get yourself qualified to do some trades, elctrician, plumber, that’s where the money is, and you are being treated as a human being, and after sme time can become self employed.
No, stress, money very good, and you are your own boss.

internetfan:
Mate, don’t even consider thit [zb] industry for a second, if you don’t want to end up with stress, or heart attack, as some drivers have at the place where I work.
The job itself looks good from a distance, but once you start dealing with planners and management, you will quickly realise what a cr4p industry it is.
Why do you think there is shortage of drivers, all hauliers are crying for drivers and there are twoce as much class 1 licence holders as there are drivers working?
Get yourself qualified to do some trades, elctrician, plumber, that’s where the money is, and you are being treated as a human being, and after sme time can become self employed.
No, stress, money very good, and you are your own boss.

Amazing how radically different two peoples view of the job can be

nicktreviss:
Hi

I am seriously considering gaining my Cat C and then after a year my Cat C+E licence in the hope of becoming a long haul driver. Im getting such mixed info I was hoping of getting advice from the horses mouth so to speak, as in what are the pitfalls etc and how to go about gaining employment as everyone seems to advertise for experienced drivers. Also pay… I have been told the pay can range from 22k up to 40+k!!! Is this correct?
Also would my age be a problem. Im a fit and healthy 54 and 3/4’s?

Could be the best time to get in to the industry right now but find the job that’s right for you instead of chasing the highest money or you’ll struggle and end up leaving again.

It depends the firm you work for doesn’t it

Cons: long hours crap pay, Friday traffic

Pros: decent hours, good pay

nicktreviss:
Hi

I am seriously considering gaining my Cat C and then after a year my Cat C+E licence in the hope of becoming a long haul driver. Im getting such mixed info I was hoping of getting advice from the horses mouth so to speak, as in what are the pitfalls etc and how to go about gaining employment as everyone seems to advertise for experienced drivers. Also pay… I have been told the pay can range from 22k up to 40+k!!! Is this correct?
Also would my age be a problem. Im a fit and healthy 54 and 3/4’s?

Diferent perspective from other posts - if you’ve fallen out with your missus then all the hassles you get daily will be worse, any hour of the day whilst you’re working/ attempting to sleep and your weekly rest will not be rest. Sort out that side of it one way or the other and your life will improve regardless of what job you’re doing!

Also depends what you’re looking for.

A trade job would undoubtedly scale up better, and if you’re looking for the big bucks it’ll likely be easier to achieve by getting electrical/plumbing contracts in the commercial market than by getting an operator’s license and a fleet.

However, not everyone aspires to run an SME. If you want a steady £45k job then driving may still be better than many trade jobs. Once middle age hits it’s gonna be much more gruelling working on your knees and contorting yourself into gaps between kitchen cupboards than it is to drive up the motorway listening to the radio and reverse onto a bay.

Probably the worst place to ask if getting into driving is a good idea on a forum full of disilusioned drivers wanting to get out of it. There are some good points and equally bad points as in any job. At the moment it is easy to get work, some easy work out there too. Its difficult to cut through the bad to get to the good. I am swapping over from my regular driving job to another aspect of driving, that is the positive of driving, you can sort of hop about until you find something you like. I would say give it a go and don’t let anyone put you off as everyone has a different idea of what is good and what is bad. Also depends on what job you are coming from to a degree. There are worse jobs than driving.

Indeed, lorry world is a broad church, much of it is mundane mind numbing and boring, some of it annoying stressful and hectic, but there is a job out there to suit everyone it’s just the case of having the nous to go find what you like and make it work for you, if its a sector that pays well happy days.

The most annoying things for me now are incompetent management and drivers that have no interest in the job who cause those who do take a bit of pride in their work more work to put right the effects of their idleness/incomptence.