Serious question for the continental ODs

After taking into consideration normal day-to-day costs running for a one-man band (vehicle tax, insurance, o-licence, truck lease & R&M, GIT etc) and assuming fuel will be picked up from continent on the way back, how much would you estimate to be left with each week before and after tax please :

Load half the load at Leeds then over to Doncaster to pick up the other half, over to Italy and tip complete trailer Milan. Reload Turin, back to Blighty and tip complete trailer in Peak District, return to Leeds, job done. Direct work for manufacturer, £2900 round trip.

:question: :question:

Robk are they paying the ferrys as well,IF not have you looked for a good price for the ferry,-tunnel??; how high is the trailer because ifits 4.00m or smaller
you can use the train at Frei-burg which means .time and wear on the truck saved also the driver gets a rest of 9+hrs on the train, AND you can drive when the saturday ban is on and you have a reservation booking on the train, you need a fax or copy of the booking acceptance with you when you drive ,
I know rob this is not answering your question but some of the above may
be a help to you,

From Leeds to Milan going the shortest route ,not necessarily the cheapest. That is, Leeds,Chunnel,France, Swiss. The distance is about 1550 km. & then you have vignettes & road tolls.So round trip is at least 2200 miles…about £1.30 @ mile. Thats a basis for your calculations. There are lads on here with up to the minute prices so wait for them to get home to get all the gritty. :laughing:
NB. If you are being offered this work direct it may mean that the big companies have turned it down because of the low profit margin…?
For instance the queue for the Gottard today is from Rieden to the tunnel. about 25KMs.

are you using your own trailer ?

Dunno about ferry costs to be honest - need to find out but I think they’re thrown in.

Trailers are 4m and belong to manufacturer, ie. traction work. The work hasn’t been advertised publicly yet but the company seems confident they wouldn’t have any problems finding hauliers to do it. Basically, the bloke I know has got first refusal on it.

£2900 is a better rate than you will get from most companies advertising for subbies.

round trip milan will usually pay about £2300 including ferries but excluding tolls etc.

depending on what the operator is paying for the truck, whether or not it’s owned/leased/hired etc, there is a possible profit margin of between £300 and £700.

there are a lot of if’s and buts with this scenario, driver wages, tipping time, reloading time, waiting for ferries etc but one driver would struggle to do this trip week in week out, the trip is about 44hours drive every week, so the driver doesn’t have a lot of sitting stuck in traffic time left on a 90 hour fortnight drive.

it’s always been a problem but has in the past been resolved by ignoring the 90 hour fortnight rule or running bent (fuse out/on the wire etc) or weekending.

johnny:
there is a possible profit margin of between £300 and £700.

:open_mouth: Can you just confirm that you haven’t made a typo with these figures somewhere please?

no, thats the possible profit margins but you haven’t given much information to work from.

it could be more but it won’t be less than than £300.

£2900 might sound a lot but when you break it down to the cost of operating a truck for a week it isn’t that much rob.

there will be at least 1000 litres of fuel used, a driver will want at least £500, a truck on lease or hire is around £400 per week unless you know any drivers that will want to go to italy every week in a basic tractor unit with no air con etc.
the tunnel is over £200 each way and even swiss is around £150 plus the hassle of t-forms etc. then you have french road tolls and italian road tolls and you aren’t sure who pays the ferry and the cheapest ferry crossing is dover to dunkerque at around £150 each way if you can skank a good deal, p&o is £500 round trip if you book the return at the same time as the outbound journey and forget the train as that will cost around £750 each way unless you have established an account and a discount.

so based on the above scenario the cost of running 1 truck to italy is about £2500 but you can deduct the ferries if they pay for them, but you may have to add a little bit to the drivers wages because you won’t see me running to italy every week for a measly £500 and there are quite a few experienced drivers that will tell you the same too.

Ah, so that £400-700 profit is after the drivers wage has been taken out then (assuming a ball park figure of £500 here) ?

yes rob.

the figure changes with the change in costings of course.
so an owner driver that owns their truck outright will have a higher profit margin because the cost of the truck is less per week than a rental or lease/buy truck.
there is still a cost for the truck every week because of the maintainance of it and as with everything else when it gets older it costs more to keep running it.

you will also have to consider anything untowards happening on the road which could increase the cost of the trip ie. puncture, breakdown, accident, fines etc.

15 years ago the rate of a round trip from Basel to Bradford with ferries paid was £2000. Everything was cheaper ,not so much control & you still had to bend it to get in a trip a week. It still didn`t pay. // That company has scoured the big firms before it was offered to you. If Willi Betz wont touch it then you are on a loser. :unamused:

ROB K take a look at the site for trains onthe useful points forum .
1; train costs for 40tn --day trip 405 € night trip 495€== 990€ or805€
2. i worked out the costs for fuel at 800liters for the trip at 1000€
3.euro-vingette and ITALY tolls ===300€
4. Driver at 750€ a week ====750€
This makes a total of========== 2950€ AT 1:50E TO THE POUND
MAKES it just short of 2000 pounds with out the costs of the unit and trailer
as you will need GIT , R&M ROAD TAX; O LICENCE; ETC

THE train service from Freiburg is good and you can reach it from the docks via Luxemburg (FILL UP FUEL TANKS) AND ONTHE WAY HOME AS WELL;
IN A 10 HR SHIFT NORMALY;

harry:
15 years ago the rate of a round trip from Basel to Bradford with ferries paid was £2000. Everything was cheaper ,not so much control & you still had to bend it to get in a trip a week. It still didn`t pay. // That company has scoured the big firms before it was offered to you. If Willi Betz wont touch it then you are on a loser. :unamused:

perhaps willi betz hasn’t been offered it, some companies still try to give work to uk haulage because of the language barrier, payment in sterling and the regular drivers etc. with giving work to the likes of betz and walters they are leaving themselves open to failures on delivery/collection, drivers turning up days before the collection is ready and parking up either on site or nearby to wait for the load.
this can be both inconvenient and an annoyance to other companies in the same area or estate.

Based on 2000 miles round trip, I would price that at £3,000 + Vat in an 18T rigid, including Dover/Calais/Dover ferry, tolls and Alpine tunnel (all based on 18T).

18T Rigid — so ferry, tolls, fuel costs are lower (but smaller tanks!)

This also takes into account euro vat recovery — on my scheme it’s usually claimed annually (so I price fuel as if I’m paying UK price ex Vat).

This is on an owned/no finance truck.

I’d pay the driver £600 (or do it myself), plus £40 per day expenses, and I’d expect the truck to earn £600 minimum.

Yes, there is a bit of fat in that price for a rigid. But any delays, problems with ferry’s, weather etc will all cost (don’t expect a driver to sit on the dockside, operation stack or be weekended for nothing!).

My pricing reflects CMR plus agreed value up to £250K, so my insurance costs are probably 3 x more than traction only.

Do this week in/out and you’re bound to have a delay or breakdown at some point. A jobs got to be viable — and a bit needs to go in the disaster money pot! I’d also find doing the same run every week a bit boring, whether its UK or European!

I think my boss gets £2300 for our Milan round trips. Boat paid D/C and C/D

Sounds alright if you are doing it yourself Rob, wouldn’t bother if you were going to pay someone else to do it. BUT the main things to bear in mind is will it be there next month/are they going to go bankrupt? (how big and reputable are the firm) Mind you if they own the trailers and you just spot hire a new unit (circa £350 per week, don’t do it in an older unit!) and they’ll pay you on thirty days, might be a subject of a good diary! You can always hand the unit back if it goes shaped like a pear. They’d need to be paying for the ferries as well I reckon. The golden one is also is it there 50 weeks per year or only 40!

Just a thought … maybe their regular “suppliers” haven’t been asked 'cos their bills haven’t been paid?

Oh, cynical me.

Tell me where I can get 2900 ferries paid and I might resurect the o licence. Best I ever managed Milan round trip London was about 2600 but it was patchy. I know Archbolds pay about 2300 with poss a bit more for drops but its graft.

Spacemonkeypg:
I think my boss gets £2300 for our Milan round trips. Boat paid D/C and C/D

well hes WELL IN THE RED, with that trip you have just done then, the job has cost him dear as I anticipate a heftY repair bill to repair the damaged engine!

Rob Take Note!!

harry:

Inflation for everything else EXCEPT HAULAGE! Just goes to show how rates have stayed static over more than a decade, Joke.