Septic tanker work

I know its that quite time of year for all agencys bods, so cant be fussy about wat i get . Been offered work driving a vacuum tanker collecting waste from septic tanks, has anyone any experience of this sort of work? To do or avoid? Doesnt sound all that appealing .

Give it a try, you might enjoy it. If the smell doesn’t put you off it’s not a bad job. Can involve hard graft depending what kind of tank it is, location etc. Unless you’re careless, you’re not likely to get covered in it but it can happen if you mess up when opening valves etc. Tips are quite common from customers if you give them a bit of banter :smiley:

Yes done this for Anglian water some years ago,

MAKE SURE hoses are attached double check them and stand clear of coupling when loading and discharging just in case the coupling fails and you get a blow back,

ALWAYS carry some spare clothes just in case, no fun sitting all day in your clothes if a spillage occurs.

You will get use to the smell, it may cause you to lose your sense of smell, lost mine after two weeks on the job 15 + years ago and it’s never come back.

Other than that its not a bad job, don’t rush as that will cause mistakes and spillages oh and if your dating just tell them your a tanker driver :smiley:

Good luck, and enjoy

Nobody would want to steal the load, my ten pence worth is be carefull of cuts on your body with the risk of infection and wear some decent gloves.
Think some of us on here would let the load go at a MSA , like the farmer that used his muck spreader and spilt his load on the walls of a council office that he fell out with a few years ago.
Get some boiler suits too maybe.
You wont get much bother from VOSA either.

thanks for the pointers lads … i’ll have a crack at it … and see what its like … i’'ll just hand a magic tree up in the wagon. :wink:

Get a camping water container with a tap on it so you can have a wash in the cab, and some hand gel for the germs.

Mr ukthugz,

My turn to return the favour for the moffett postings.

In the other life I do quite a bit with lots of different kinds of drainage.

We use these as gloves for normal work in drainage, really good quality check the EN388 markings that’s the important ones. (Gloves Red PVC Heavy Duty 11 inch Gauntlets) - gmtsworkwear.com - gmtsworkwear Resources and Information.

Or if you’re having to unblock, which I very much doubt you would do, we use these: (Gloves Red PVC 14 inch Coated Open Cuff Gauntlet) - gmtsworkwear.com - gmtsworkwear Resources and Information.

Your abrasion and tear resistance is most important, unfortunately the tear resistant is usually a lot lower than the abrasion resistant! And that’s because the have to be flexible enough to use! The higher the number, the higher the protection and there are four numbers written on gloves ranging from 1 - 4 I think. 4 being the best protection etc, etc

Get some decent alcohol gel and that camping water container with a tap is a god send trust me.

I always carry spare clothes (put a set in your car as well as your cab too (with some spare footwear in the car for after the shift just in case) and two boiler suits with you in case of any “minor accidents” en route should protect.

Carry some spare empty plastic bags to wrap up any soiled clothes in until you decide to throw them away or take them home to clean! :open_mouth:

Get some decent waterproof plasters, in some big sizes too. Don’t buy economy ones as they fall off as soon as your hands sweat in the glove and then you have an exposed wound again!

Finally make sure it is just effulent and not some other crazy stuff. But I imagine if you’re doing crazy waste, you’d be ADR’d anyway and would seriously hope you’d be briefed and given correct PPE as the above stuff would not protect you against some serious stuff!

Also if you are doing it for a while make sure all your jabs are up-to-date to protect you should something go awry.

You can get the hepatitis ones for a price at the doc’s (however I did get them for free at the doctor’s when I was working as an undertaker, not sure if it would apply to you) beware the C one is a course of three jabs over a period of 6 months and prepare to feel like zb for a few days after this one, but you can usually work through it you just ache a bit!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg198.pdf This’ll give you the run down over three pages.

Just remember don’t touch anywhere on your face, no matter how itchy with the back of your hands under the gloves or on the sleeve until you’ve washed your hands, then scratch, no matter how tempting. And you should be alright!

Hope it goes well for you!

C

Also forgot to say make sure your tetanus is up to date! :blush:

C