Sent Digi Card Away

I’m hoping someone can give me a definitive answer on this one so here goes:

A guy at work needed to change his address on his digi card so he filled in the form but he sent his card away with it, am i right in saying he can’t legally drive until he gets his card back.
I know he shouldn’t hve sent the old one away but he did, will this cause him an issue with getting his new one.
He’s been driving an anologue for the past 6 weeks and was driving an anologue today so thinks he is ok because he can produce records if required , i thought he could be fined for not carrying his card.
The company is also unaware of this fact, would they be liable if they new he was not able to produce his card ?

Thanks in advance.

I can’t give you a definitive answer. However I applied for a new card due to moving home, when my new card came the letter said it was illegal to be in possession of two digi card’s at the same time, I stupidly sent my old card straight back. I haven’t been pulled so no issues there, also it’s 1 month ago I did it tomorrow so no problem.

You can drive legally for 15 days without a card in your possession but you have to do a print out when you start your shift and when you finish ?

4aaaa4dd:
You can drive legally for 15 days without a card in your possession but you have to do a print out when you start your shift and when you finish ?

Doesn’t this only apply to lost /damaged /stolen cards ■■? the driver knows where it is so cant claim any of these conditions, this has happened at our place and the driver was sent home until his card turned up.

My card stopped working last may and I sent it back and carried on working using print outs I think if your boss sent the driver home it was his choice and not because he had to by law ?

4aaaa4dd:
My card stopped working last may and I sent it back and carried on working using print outs I think if your boss sent the driver home it was his choice and not because he had to by law ?

Is it not the case though that if you hold a digital card you must carry card at all times regardless of tacho type fitted, also you cant legaly drive the vehicle if you left it at home/ posted it as it’s not technicaly lost damaged or stolen.

They are phasing out addresses on Tach cards, so from now on it’s pointless
bothering changing it.
Anyone attempting this will probably get the new one without address anyway!!!

You do not need to change your address on a digital card as it is linked to your photocard licence. If you move address, you simply renew your driving licence, the digicard will be put right when it expires

I’ve just moved filled in the form but didn’t send my old digi card got my new card a week later with new address on and a form to send my old card back easy

stuhardie:
I’m hoping someone can give me a definitive answer on this one so here goes:

A guy at work needed to change his address on his digi card so he filled in the form but he sent his card away with it, am i right in saying he can’t legally drive until he gets his card back.
I know he shouldn’t hve sent the old one away but he did, will this cause him an issue with getting his new one.
He’s been driving an anologue for the past 6 weeks and was driving an anologue today so thinks he is ok because he can produce records if required , i thought he could be fined for not carrying his card.
The company is also unaware of this fact, would they be liable if they new he was not able to produce his card ?

Thanks in advance.

Technically it is illegal for him to drive HGVs as he cannot carry his driver card with him.

You can drive for 15 days without a card if it is faulty lost or stolen, his card is none of these things as he knows where it is and it is not faulty.

Having said that, I’ve no idea how VOSA would react to the situation, I suppose if he could prove that he’s sent it to DVLA they may let him off after advising him of what he should have done.