Selling yourselves short

Why is it that drivers still want to work 70 hrs a week for mop and bucket money for the first 40 hours with cloth and duster money thereafter :open_mouth: Anyone driving a class 1 truck for less than £8.00 an hour is quite clearly selling themselves short. :open_mouth: I personally would not set my alarm clock for a penny less.Drivers go on about fancy trucks and top kit but hey am i missing something here but since when did that pay your mortgage :question:When was the last time you heard about a bricklayer working for less money because his gaffer bought him a top of the range trowel :open_mouth: In the current climate of the driver shortage and looming W.T.D. :laughing: It is YOU the driver who goes out there and commands the rates :exclamation: The driver now has the upper hand and is standing up and saying wakey wakey road haulage this is the year 2004 I want paying for the SKILL i have to offer and some RESPECT,simple as that.THEY NOW NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM… :laughing:

try telling that to employers in the north east m8ty… £8.00 an hour… dont make me laugh

Sainsburys WHAREHOUSE staff are currently taking industrial action for £8.00p/h And that is in an area comparable to the north east.There is an argument for regional variations,but the fact still remains there are drivers who will still allow greedy transport bosses to exploit them with the offer of a top motor to drive it for peanuts.I see DHL drivers running up and down the motorways with their bright yellow brand new MANs posing wearing their sun shades and working for peanuts,an insult of a wage.Whats the point of looking good whilst working for a pittance :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: SORRY BUT I DON`T BUY IT… :wink:

I agree, some drivers get as little as they deserve. wages are low in the Norwich area, but a this is what I will work for, or a this is what I will do for what you are paying often results in a more productive agreement, or not working for a cowboy outfit.
One local nationally known company pays its newer drivers £20k for 65/70 hours of the companys choice i.e. nights, weekends etc, whilst the longer serving drivers are paid by the hour with overtime etc with far more take home for better hours & guess who does most of the damage to this companys vehicles & its not the better paid drivers who cost the company the most

I would like to know how you define how much driver A is worth to driver B. some of us are living in area.s that pay buttons and have no choice in the matter.or you could do what i,m doing, which is refusing to work. FULL STOP. until such time as some one will pay me a decent rate… ive come to the point where i will no longer work for buttons, but ive got a wife on a good wage… i,m a kept man these days, but i,d rather be out there earning my keep. its a sad state of affairs let me tell you… but i know mates who simply have to take what they can get and its no use slaggin them off cause youre on a decent wage. which is what the author of this topic is doing.

£8ph on a 48 hour week is only £384 less stoppages, is less than £300 take home. This may be a good rate at the moment Tony but when the WTD comes in, it will be worthless.
The cost of living differs from area to area, as others have said and that has to be taken into account.
I think that we all set ourselves a level that we will work for but we all have to be a bit realistic as well.
Personally, I think that £8ph is too low for where I live and when the WTD comes in, the rate should be between £10-£12ph and we have 2 hopes of that no hope and bob hope.

ohterry555:
I would like to know how you define how much driver A is worth to driver B. some of us are living in area.s that pay buttons and have no choice in the matter.or you could do what i,m doing, which is refusing to work. FULL STOP. until such time as some one will pay me a decent rate… ive come to the point where i will no longer work for buttons, but ive got a wife on a good wage… i,m a kept man these days, but i,d rather be out there earning my keep. its a sad state of affairs let me tell you… but i know mates who simply have to take what they can get and its no use slaggin them off cause youre on a decent wage. which is what the author of this topic is doing.

Same here! I will no longer work for agencies that want me to drive for them @£6 - £6.50 per hour! I think I am worth more than that! may be its my loss but if everyone does the same WE WILL get what we are worth!

If they cannot get anyone to do it at the low rate the dosh WILL go up! its simple economics!

Pecall,I have dream anyone can drive can come to england and drive for the minimum wage ,sorry just read that all the eastern european drivers once they are allowed in will be allowed to drive in england,wtd no problem.Must agree with an earlier comment driving round looking good does,nt pay the bills.

There is every hope of £10 p/h in march 2005 Otherwise nobody will do the job.This no hope and bob hope rubbish will get us nowhere.Whilst the man Bob is dead,Hope certainly is`nt. :exclamation:

My minimums are (class 1):

Agency : £7.50/hr & time 1.5 after 8hrs (days, don’t do nights)

Employed : £350 take home, average 60hr week. N/o @ £20 tax free.

I think that’s pretty fair.

Your on £175.00 a week then employed :open_mouth: :open_mouth: You are doing nearly 2 weeks work for £350.00 SAD :open_mouth:

:confused: you what ?

Which part don’t you understand ?

Agency : £7.50/hr & time 1.5 after 8hrs (days, don’t do nights)

Employed : £350 take home, average 60hr week. N/o @ £20 tax free.

Where do you get £175/week from? Have I mentioned anywhere that £350 is for two weeks work ? No. Suggest you invest in a new calculator/seek mathematics lessons.

TONY:
There is every hope of £10 p/h in march 2005 Otherwise nobody will do the job.This no hope and bob hope rubbish will get us nowhere.Whilst the man Bob is dead,Hope certainly is`nt. :exclamation:

The only way you will get £10 P/H is by sticking together and joining a union to have somebody to negoiate for you, I have been a driver and union member for 25 years and have never seen drivers stick together so I won’t hold my breath. Could you tell me what sort of job’s all these drivers are going to do when they all pack up as you seem to be saying that everyone will pack up wholesale. I do the job because I like the freedom of being on the road without somebody breathing down my neck telling me what to do, I have seen the way some of these modern supervisors talk to staff these days, I for one would not last 5 minutes in some of these jobs, I would end up chinning someone.

If as you stated Rob you do 60 hours for £350.00 take home,60 hrs is close to 2 weeks work based on,and to be fair a 35 hour week in another job,So based on that you are on dire money.In simple terms you would take home a site more than £175.00 p/week for 30 hours in any other job :open_mouth:

In short : RUBBING RAG MONEY :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

These posts are written with respect and not intended to offend,as my posts do sometimes court controversy,I do expect and can indeed accommadate fair or otherwise critisism.

Thank you Tone … :wink:

None of your postings so far have breached TruckNet rules. If anyone disagrees with Tonys opinion, please feel free to say "I disagree with Tony and heres why". Just abide with our very simple rules. Carry on, Tony.
Vince

Well I’ll tell you what Tony, if you can find me a class 1 job in Yorks that is a 35hr week I’d be extremely surprised. Secondly, should you be able to find one (or more), find me one that pays £350 take home per week for those hours and I’ll jump at it and eat my hat at the same time.

As I know for a fact you won’t be able to achieve either of those challenges, I’ll set you an easier task of finding me a company in Yorks that pays £350 take home or more for the equivalent 60 hours doing the same job because you’ll be hard-pushed there again.

If you reckon the money is so dire then let’s all hear who much money you’re actually on, the hours you work and what class you drive.

Other than the simple fact I enjoy driving trucks (as long as it isn’t a twingo), I can start when I want, finish when I want, take my breaks when I want, go to sleep in the middle of my work day when I want without anyone knowing, not have my boss looking over my shoulder, not have to work in a stuffy/smelly office, not have to contend with rush-hour traffic every day without getting paid for it, wear what I want and drink and eat when I want, amongst other things.

TONY:
Why is it that drivers still want to work 70 hrs a week for mop and bucket money for the first 40 hours with cloth and duster money thereafter :open_mouth: Anyone driving a class 1 truck for less than £8.00 an hour is quite clearly selling themselves short. :open_mouth: I personally would not set my alarm clock for a penny less.Drivers go on about fancy trucks and top kit but hey am i missing something here but since when did that pay your mortgage :question:When was the last time you heard about a bricklayer working for less money because his gaffer bought him a top of the range trowel :open_mouth: In the current climate of the driver shortage and looming W.T.D. :laughing: It is YOU the driver who goes out there and commands the rates :exclamation: The driver now has the upper hand and is standing up and saying wakey wakey road haulage this is the year 2004 I want paying for the SKILL i have to offer and some RESPECT,simple as that.THEY NOW NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM… :laughing:

Well said mate!

I share your views entirely. If drivers stuck together they could stop the nation, we did it in 77 and everyone got 10% on the national basic. Drivers seem scared to stand up to these tight fisted pigs. If you all refused to work for less than a decent wage they bosses would soon cave in, if not then let them find some idiot who is willing to do it for less, get a job doing something else. I’d go for money rather than a fancy truck.

WELL SLAP MY ARSE WITH A HEADMASTERS BELT… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …ARE WE FINALLY GETTING THE MESSAGE HERE…STICKING TOGETHER. hahahahahaha…well said rob and pat. :laughing: :laughing: …and by the way if you do find that job for rob see if there s room for me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sorry.BOTTOM :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :blush:

Rob, I have already outlined what I will work for, and do indeed work for that is £8.00 p/hr and not a penny less.I drive class 1 trucks for a living,I work 4 x 10/12hr shifts Mon/Thurs with time plus a half after 8 hours.I enjoy my job too. The downside for some might be i dont have my own motor,Iam required to drive whatever truck is available,(not a problem to me)like ive already pointed out it`s about earning a decent living wage NOTHING MORE.And NOT wearing shades in a fancy truck whilst looking good,and earning pinmoney :exclamation: :wink: