self driving trucks

Listening to the radio the other day they reckon they’ll be on the road trialing them next year so 1. Do we still need a licence
2. Can they reverse
3. Does that mean we can’t get
done for drink driving afterall were not technically driving lol .

I’d like to see one get in n out of Stephenson’s in Leeds.
They reckon that ‘plattooning’ is the way forward, it is till some poor bugger has a blowout/mechanical failure and those behind…

If the trucks behind the leader are saving 10% on diesel, who the hell is going to want to be the leader?

scally2:
3. Does that mean we can’t get done for drink driving afterall were not technically driving lol .

Hmmm, now you’re asking…

scally2:
Listening to the radio the other day they reckon they’ll be on the road trialing them next year so 1. Do we still need a licence
2. Can they reverse

what radio station was that then

Tesco RDC-FM by any chance :wink:

nick2008:

scally2:
2. Can they reverse

what radio station was that then

Tesco RDC-FM by any chance :wink:

Nearly as bad, radio 2.

There will still be a driver on each truck,so he will have to be sober.

Could always put the dog in the driving seat that’d be fun.

I wonder how autonomous each one in the platoon will be - what happens when Johnny Rep dives for the junction between vehicles 3&4, meaning that vehicle 4 has to anchor up in a hurry?

You will see them shunting in RDCs first. I bet they can reverse better than most drivers.

This makes me laugh. Most companies are too tight arsed to fit a fridge in a truck let alone buy one that drives itself. The cost will be prohibitive and although the technology can do it the legal implications will be huge. Also think how much it will cost the government in unemployment benefit due to all of the drivers loosing their jobs. If people can’t earn money they can’t buy goods. If companies can’t sell goods because less people have money they go out of business - simple capitalism

It will never happen, because who would they fine for an insecure load :open_mouth:

Loaders are never going to take responsibility and you can’t fine the lorry :laughing:

I can see it working on motorways, i.e. you just join a line of trucks and put your feet up but id imagine the tight spaces, difficult reverses and site work will need human interaction.

this is has been trialed in sweedon for the last 3 years by funny Volvo funny enough.

The vehicle in front makes all the moves like speed, breaking, signalling, steering via GPS, HUD, cameras etc, and the following vehicles behind ( as many as u like ) will follow exactly what the lead vehicle will do with no input from the driver, which is all done by onboard coms on each truck

i.e If there’s an accident ahead of them then the front vehicle will divert and all other vehicles will follow suit. If the lead vehicle lets say has a blow out then that vehicle will send a message to the next vehicle behind to become the lead vehicle and then everything runs off that vehicle.

A driver has to manage all vehicles incase of front vehicle failure, which if that’s the case the next vehicle inline will become the main vehicle.

Eventually when these vehicles reach their destinations this is where the driver takes control and does the job theyre paid for.

Doubt this will come to the uk anytime soon… There was a full review of this from the sweedish company years ago, ill try to dig it out if I can find it :slight_smile:

m4rky:
think how much it will cost the government in unemployment benefit due to all of the drivers loosing their jobs. If people can’t earn money they can’t buy goods. If companies can’t sell goods because less people have money they go out of business - simple capitalism

I would imagine a driver would still be present, but only to intervene if something goes wrong - acting mainly as attendant and security guard. This de-skilling would justify a wage more akin to the minimum wage.

I just see how this would work. What happens if one of the trucks weighs 10 ton more than the others? It would behave differently. Also if a driver doesn’t actually do much driving their skills would soon disappear and then cause damage due to this. It’s just a non starter for me. One power cut and it’s all over lol