Self-driving trucks

As mentioned in my first post I am hoping to train for my cat C licence in hopes of finding work in trucking. I’m 35 next month so I guess I have 20 - 30+ years of work to go, depending on health and whether I play my cards right. So I guess any career move I make needs ideally to have a strong future in it, or at the very least promise a solid return on investment.

Is anyone else concerned about self-driving trucks? A couple of articles:

theguardian.com/technology/ … rs-jobs-us
cnbc.com/2016/10/25/driverle … truck.html

Personally I think it will be a while here in the UK before politically anyone is willing to sign off on a fully loaded artic driving itself along a busy motorway or in a city centre. Hopefully the job situation may remain similar for the next decade or so. But I guess it may be wise to make plans for getting along in what could be a contracting job market with falling wages over the medium term.

What do others think?

Self driving trucks are on the way. Probably far quicker than we imagine, buuuuut the very first jobs to go will be the easy, repeatable, journeys. If you skill yourself in the harder, grubbier, parts of the industry you should be safe. Ish.

What might suit an open Freeway for testing surrounded by police cars, is never going to apply to any road in Britain bar maybe the M6 Northern section at 6am on a Sunday morning.

This country is too crowded already and filling up with more daily, by the time they could get the roads built to segregate automated vehicles from the plebs another 10or 20 million people will have arrived and another million vehicles on the road to service them, cheap labour arriving too which isn’t going to stop whatever they might have promised Brexiteers to shut them up.

Why spend a fortune automating vehicles when they already have the Borg ready and willing to work for peanuts all hours to do the job, and i say the Borg because they’ll be putting chips into people brains long before they can automate the roads, so why build robots when they are already made and just need controlling.

It isn’t going to be a problem in your driving career, oh they’ll keep experimenting and the quangos will still be drawing fat salaries for failing miserably in 30 years time.

Our roads can’t cope now, why does anyone think the machine can do it any better, the silly electronics they put into lorries now doesn’t work properly and thats when its actually working of a fashion, can you imagine the controls and computing power required to operate millions of automated vehicles, the first salty winter will render half the automated junk useless, in typical British eccentricity it won’t be able to cope on a hot day, and if the British govt or civil service have had anything to do with it, they’ll waste £billions buying utterly useless equipment thats obsolete before it ever gets past error 401.

The thing we should all be worried about is Clinton getting elected and managing to provoke the next world war against Russia over some Middle East regime change spat, if that comes to pass automation and whether we’ll still have a lorry driving job will be the last thing on any of our minds.

So my advice it to do what you want to, get your licences and drive lorries, if you want to you will still be doing it right up to retirement…unless manic hillary pushes the button, in which case see you on the other side.

F-reds:
Self driving trucks are on the way. Probably far quicker than we imagine, buuuuut the very first jobs to go will be the easy, repeatable, journeys. If you skill yourself in the harder, grubbier, parts of the industry you should be safe. Ish.

by easy repeatable jobs,do you mean night trunkers??.. :open_mouth:

roboconor 1.jpg

F-reds, even to my uneducated mind that sounds like it could well be right. I appreciate your thoughts.

Just been on one of my many visits to the future (although the actual timelines are complex as a few have been ruined by Trump, Hilary and Putin and in order to pick one that is relevant I need to know which one I’m in to begin with and also use the Chaos Theory Butterfly Drive thingy to avoid timelines that become deadends).

Anyway self driving trucks do appear but human interaction is always needed, up to the point where our species evolves beyond the need for physical existence.

So your quite safe for a bit.

One of the biggest changes to pretty much everything occurs when Wi-Fi Leccy becomes common place.
Well that and fembots.

Austin powers or cherry 2000 dipper

Self driving trucks!! Amazon drones delivering parcels!! The future is here people lmao.

The thought of a self driving tipper truck rocking up to ■■■■ off the tarmac pavers does make me chuckle tho :slight_smile:
Or a truck doing home delivery lol,
Some jobs I can’t see ever being replaced by A I

Hackers will also have a field day in the future lol