Selecting training centre

I passed my Module 1 multiple choice and hazard perception tests yesterday, and I’m now looking at which training centre to go with for my C, with an aim to go on to do CE if all goes well. I’ve read lots of great information on here, and there is some great advice. I’m planning to shortlist a couple of training centres, and then try to arrange to meet the instructor and maybe an experience drive to make sure we get on. My question relates to the latest situation on getting a job on passing. I believe several years ago (read on here) that if you trained with a haulage company they looked favourably at you for any positions they had, as you had used their training and were known to them. In view of everything out there has all this changed, has anybody got any recent experiences they could share with me please? I live on the Nottinghamshire Leicestershire border so I think I’ve got a few to look at, but any help would be really appreciated please.

I do not know of any transport companies in that area which do LGV training but others might - I live in leicester

Here is a list of recommended training providers

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

A lot has changed over the last few years tbh not many comp will take you on then pay for your training it can also be hard for a new driver to gain work not impossible but not that easy due to fact there are a lot of drivers out there looking

Some like you to be over 25 for insurance some like 2 year experience ( this goes back a long ay as well ) but as some have posted it can be done

Hi Tramlad

Well done on passing the theory. Unfortunately you’re not in our area so any advice I give is neutral. You are quite lucky to have several reputable schools in your area but personally I would not look beyond Peter Smythe. That is where I would send my son for training (if he hadn’t passed with us already)

As lots of people say though book an assessment drive or 2 then decide. You will only do this once in your life so you only get one chance to get it right.

LGVTrainer:
Hi Tramlad

Well done on passing the theory. Unfortunately you’re not in our area so any advice I give is neutral. You are quite lucky to have several reputable schools in your area but personally I would not look beyond Peter Smythe. That is where I would send my son for training (if he hadn’t passed with us already)

As lots of people say though book an assessment drive or 2 then decide. You will only do this once in your life so you only get one chance to get it right.

Agreed there is also Data Academy in Leicester

My advice would be go visit several company to se which you like speak to the instructors see the vehicles etc before you part with any money

LGVTrainer:
Hi Tramlad

After Reading a lot of posts, it does seem that a fail at Peter Smythe is as rare as rocking horse [zb], if i was starting again they would be my choice.