Selecting a training centre

Most training schools will take you around their local test areas, although you are never going to learn every route - but as long as you understand the principals it shouldn’t be a problem - after all your first day on the job won’t be around the test route !!!

G

I did my training with a DSA instructor and passed first time, as did many others who used the same company. Looking at the pass rates they seem to be quite low in Chelmsford, so in my case it was worth the little extra cost of the training.

If they are DSA approved you will be taught by a driving instructor with HGV entitlement rather than a HGV driver with more than 3 years who is not neccessarily a driving instructor.

Your best bet is to speak to the relevant schools about their training courses, see if they offer an assesment. You will soon be able to work out who seems best.

Wherever you go they will likely show you the awkward junctions etc on local test routes, but you cannot expect to see them all. But when you are driving on your own you have to work these things out as they happen, so I wouldn’t have thought it would pose too big a problem. Unless you were not a confident car driver, in which case HGV would be a bad move.

Good luck

Knowing the area can sometimes be counterproductive; being in a new area often makes you concentrate much more.

christianh:
Thanks for the replies. I did my 1 hour assessment with the local training school yesterday, I found the actual driving to be ok, but the training school were not too hot.

The Class 2 vehicle they took me out in was a bit of a shed; it looked like something out of the ark & things weren’t working inside the cab etc, they were also one hour late taking me out leaving me standing around like an idiot.

I’ve decided to book my training and therefore test at the training/test centre not local to me.

Thanks again.

Hi Christian
I notice you’re in the Northwest (like me)
What training schools is it you are refering to?
Someone on here might have some experience of training with them.

I recently had my test at Harlescott, trained with RTITB academy in Telford, were very good. I failed my first test thanks to a nob in a car and got my retest on the same day 2weeks later. The Shrewbury test routes can be a bit of a ■■■■■ in places but they take you there lots to practice anyway. The examiners are a bit grumpy though, not very chatty, I had 2 different ones. Oh and there’s a ■■■■■ of a corner just out the test centre gates which you don’t wanna stuff up or it’ll be a very short test, but you practice it well beforehand, it’s a blind corner and you gotta go round it in the opposite lane mostly.

christianh:
So, can anyone recommend a good school within 50 miles of Chester (I don’t mind the dailty commute, just want a good school).

I trained with Huw Williams in Anglesey. They mainly run around Bangor and Caernarfon. It is a bit of a trek for you but should only take an hour on the A55.

I found the training to be pretty good (usually 2 learners, 1 instructor).

The prices were ok, I can’t remember exactly cos’ was 4yrs ago. :unamused:

The only thing that counted against it (for me) was the other learner was Welsh-speaker and the instructor did all his tutoring in Welsh. I reckon I was missing out on seeing the other lad make faults and hearing the feedback.

However, you might not get that situation.

P.S. I am aware that the above is ENTIRELY my fault, it isn’t a dig at the Welsh language. I live in Wales and should therefore learn the lingo, situations like that are my tough luck. :blush:

Thanks for the info and tips guys! I will look up those training schools to get prices/availability etc.

I’ve said it before and will say it again.

www.tockwithtraining.co.uk are in my eyes one of the best in the country. I travelled 150 miles to then and I wasnt the only ones. 1-2-1 training for the same price as 2-2-1.

I did my training with Truk in Warrington. It’s one on one training and Neil (the instructor) is a nice guy and a good instructor.

If you arent already fixed up take a look at Stockport LGV search for them on net . all the guys there have over 25yrs of experience whilst the fleet is what you would say not the most modern . vehichles are well looked after just not the latest models - the instructors are very very good. Passed C and C+E with them they are always busy and have a very high pass rate.
I would recommend them - However my post maybe a little late now

:frowning:

christianh:
Think I’ll be training in something new’ish with a “4 over 4” gearbox :open_mouth: whatever that means lol!

that’s a range change gearbox, compulsory in test vehicles after 1st July :wink:

have a read HERE to find out about it

Denis F:

christianh:
Think I’ll be training in something new’ish with a “4 over 4” gearbox :open_mouth: whatever that means lol!

that’s a range change gearbox, compulsory in test vehicles after 1st July :wink:

Cheers! I’m reading it now whilst eating my tea lol!

christianh:

Denis F:

christianh:

Cheers! I’m reading it now whilst eating my tea lol!

Try a read of the STICKY entitled PRE TRAINING TIPS on the new & wannabe forum