Selby Truck drivers

iDoes anybody recall or know of Truck Drivers that ran for selby companies in the 60s and 70s?
Onward road transport: Monty pearson,Arthur Picard,Jock Mclean,Taddy cockney,John Whitaker,Alex Henry, to name a few.

Campey’s : Mick Holman He sure could make a foden 2 stroke sing!

Mooney and Morley : Humbergob, Bob Gell

Fred wright transport: Morris Houseman.

The few named above and yours truly drove when 16 hr spreadovers and logsheets were the rule. The kids working mickey mouse hours dont know what a full days work is.

Please respond if you know anything about the above. Thank you. James “Yank” Allen

James Allen:
iDoes anybody recall or know of Truck Drivers that ran for selby companies in the 60s and 70s?
Onward road transport: Monty pearson,Arthur Picard,Jock Mclean,Taddy cockney,John Whitaker,Alex Henry, to name a few.

The few named above and yours truly drove when 16 hr spreadovers and logsheets were the rule. The kids working mickey mouse hours dont know what a full days work is.

Please respond if you know anything about the above. Thank you. James “Yank” Allen

Do a search on Goole and Selby hauliers, there are loads of photos on there from drivers old and new…

James, there are some of Campeys old Fodens still resting in a field near Selby. I’m trying to plan a trip over to photograph them (with the owners permission). I live just a few miles from Selby.

I used to go to Trinity paper mills in Ramsbottom every saturday morning with my dad in the `70s and H.Campeys were regulars there with their mickey mouse and newer Fodens

Mick holman can still make lorries sing wyatts daf 85s holiday relief driver 70 yrs old i know i’m his half cousin and work with him . me john holman

Hi James, I drove for Flowers during the 70s and we worked with a lot of Selby Hauliers. I remember Mony Pearson from Fishers of Alne, he also did a spell at Flowers. The Fred Wright line up by the coach includes Les Bardy, Jim Gregg, Bob Cocum and Pete Carling alias “Shonk”. Both Shonk and Jim Gregg came to Flowers for a spell. Happy days but as you said hard graft. :smiley: Regards Tony H.

James Allen:

yes i remember arthur picard,jock mclean ,alex henry, i was at the castleford depot, the last i heard was alex henry was driving for morrisons super market, royheb

James Allen:

I knew a Selby lad called Malcolm Chilvers and I seem to remember he drove for H Campey at one time.If it wasn’t Campey it could have been Fred J Wright. He eventually worked for Wincanton at Middlebrook Mushrooms and then as a TSM at Wincanton at Maltby. Not seen him since the 90s.

Is this one of them----- transportphotos.com

JLC00241-31.jpg

James Allen:

Remember Maurice housman, we both drove together at Jack Harpers, East Cottingworth.

Alan

I knew a driver called Malcolm Chilvers who drove for H Campey at one time.He finished up as a shift manager for Wincanton at Maltby in the 90s. He may also have worked at Middlebrook Mushrooms which is in your area.

Chris.

hello,alex henry ere,i still see roy read an jeoffe Chilton we meet at Castleford every 2nd week for a meal at the prince William,will be there next fri oct 4th and every 2nd week after usually there for 7 pm ish.wld be nice to meet some of some of u old driver’s again

alanandbren:

James Allen:

Remember Maurice housman, we both drove together at Jack Harpers, East Cottingworth.

Alan

You mean it’s Sharper by Harper :stuck_out_tongue:

This one was driven by Neil Pickering, anyone who worked around the docks in Howdendyke or Goole would have known his father Ken. That man could and would work hard.