Seen this? Perhaps our next PM

theguardian.com/politics/20 … objections

Same old, same old perhaps?..

Dipster:
Liz Truss asked for public money to cover £3,000 lunch | Liz Truss | The Guardian

Same old, same old perhaps?..

:smiling_imp: It just beggars belief that they could even think that was an OK thing to do with taxpayers money.

Given some of the other candidates…
Small beer really.

If it, in any small way, led to a favourable trade deal with the US, the cost would be irrelevant.
So there’s not enough info in the article as to whether it was value for money or not. But good on them getting it half price [emoji39]

stu675:
If it, in any small way, led to a favourable trade deal with the US, the cost would be irrelevant.
So there’s not enough info in the article as to whether it was value for money or not. But good on them getting it half price [emoji39]

It isn’t the spending of a few grand to secure a deal that is the issue.
It is choosing, against advice to spend money with a party donor, and then possibly lie about reasons for doing so.
A small amount of cash in the scale of things but an indication of not respecting rules and giving bungs, even small ones to mates.
theguardian.com/politics/20 … ays-labour

Such goings-on are, and always have been, commonplace in politics and business. it’s how things get done. Don’t expect things to change. Many times, those who condemn such things are subsequently found to be not too squeaky clean themselves. I remember that the transport manager at my old firm had a few nice jollies (tickets to the Rugby Cup Final, trips to the Guinness brewery, tennis at Wimbledon etc.) shortly after new batches of Volvos arrived to join the existing fleet of…Volvos.

fodenway:
Such goings-on are, and always have been, commonplace in politics and business. it’s how things get done. Don’t expect things to change. Many times, those who condemn such things are subsequently found to be not too squeaky clean themselves. I remember that the transport manager at my old firm had a few nice jollies (tickets to the Rugby Cup Final, trips to the Guinness brewery, tennis at Wimbledon etc.) shortly after new batches of Volvos arrived to join the existing fleet of…Volvos.

Was this purchase using private money or public funds? It’s the apparent misuse of public funds that is the problem.