Seeking Work with historic DR30

Good Afternoon All

I posted on here a few months ago when I booked my class 1 test. I’m due to take my test in a couple of weeks and thought I’d see if I could get some advice from you people already in the industry. As stated in the title 7 years ago I got slapped with a DR30 (failure to provide) when I was stopped by the police the morning after a night out. I tried to be smart and buy a bit of time but it bit me on the arse as they hit me with failure to provide. Stupid mistake I’ve never made since but its still costing me. I know it’s going to be a no no for many large companies but was wondering if any of you knew of any around the west mids, more specifically Shropshire that may give me a chance. I’m 32 years old ex Royal Navy and currently Working as a Prison Officer. Willing to learn and not shy of doing long hours or putting in a decent graft. I would travel upto an hour for work Any advice much appreciated

As a DR conviction stats on your licence for 11 years you may well find it difficult to find companies that will insure you.

Most companies won’t entertain things like DR30 until they have been fully spent.

It will probably be an uphill battle to find employment but that’s not to say you won’t, but it will most likely be with smaller companies where they pay might be relatively low compared to other places.

Can’t really help any more than that.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice worst case I can stay where I’m at for another 4 years as I don’t earn a bad salary I know it’s going to be an uphill battle to obtain work for a few years but thought there may be others on here that might have been in a similar situation or someone who has

Try DHL and specifically the NOMS contract doing the prisoners canteens, AFAIK they’re still doing it, and as a key holder who’s already passed their clearance they would ■■■■■■ you up. The transport office was down at Hatfield, but had trucks out based at Iceland Warrington and loading out of Bookers Haydock and covered the west side of the UK including Lancaster, Risley, Liverpool and down around Winston Green.
You should be able to contact them via the local contact in your works admin or any of the distribution teams that come in to give out the canteen

Thanks a lot I will definitely bear them in mind. All the canteen arrives in rigids though doesn’t it?

Mikew1989:
Thanks a lot I will definitely bear them in mind. All the canteen arrives in rigids though doesn’t it?

Yes, either 18T or 22T DAF rigid’s iirc
I did the job for 4-5yrs a while back covering the east side of the country, Northumberland down to Northamptonshire, but moved on.

peirre:
Try DHL and specifically the NOMS contract doing the prisoners canteens, AFAIK they’re still doing it, and as a key holder who’s already passed their clearance they would ■■■■■■ you up. The transport office was down at Hatfield, but had trucks out based at Iceland Warrington and loading out of Bookers Haydock and covered the west side of the UK including Lancaster, Risley, Liverpool and down around Winston Green.
You should be able to contact them via the local contact in your works admin or any of the distribution teams that come in to give out the canteen

The OP can enquire but when I worked for DHL they had a no DD or DR convictions stipulation. So I wouldn’t hold out too much hope unless they have changed it recently.

I’m looking for class one work anyway guys I know they say beggars can’t be choosers however I do have a job that with overtime pays not a bad salary so can afford to wait another 3 and a bit years if needs be. I was under the impression that it wouldn’t affect company insurance as it’s over 5 years old and it doesn’t have to be declared to insurers. I understand it’s a bad thing to have and I’m Presley not proud of it but isn’t there supposed to be a national shortage of drivers?

Mikew1989:
I was under the impression that it wouldn’t affect company insurance as it’s over 5 years old and it doesn’t have to be declared to insurers.

As far as I’m aware that is correct. Some companies may have it as company policy not to employ anyone with DR endorsements of any age on their licences. If you ask around I think you’d find something but this may be at, shall we say, the less desirable end of the jobs market.

why not just become a owner operator

This May end up being an option. I’d hand to look into it wouldn’t even know where to start to be honest

Pallet Network.
In particular rigids.
In particular subbies working for pallet networks.

For example at one Pallet Network I knew in Basildon there was about 5 different Sub contractors who had like 6 vehicles each. Your basically working for a guy who has a bunch of trucks, so generally they are more relaxed when it comes to this sort of stuff.
Downside is that quite often it is 7.5t work. But it is a good way of getting your foot in the door.

I guess another downside is knowing the places well enough to know what sites use subbies and if they will employ you but that’s a case of knocking on doors and putting your name out.

Mikew1989:
This May end up being an option. I’d hand to look into it wouldn’t even know where to start to be honest

As in another thread. 8k minimum in bank plus buying/renting a unti, tax and insurance, plus 3 months running/living costs and either take the TM CPC or have an external TM on the books etc.

Not as simple as people often think and that’s without worrying about getting the work or even decent paid work it.

If it was that simple as getting a unit many more would do it.

Reading this has me thinking that it’s not a good option for someone new to the industry. Il have to just put myself out there and apply to as many firms as possible then see what comes back. Best case I get lucky and find something. Worst case I sit back and wait until my conviction is removed. Thanks for all your input not what I was hoping for but I’d rather know what my chances are realistically rather than been fed BS.

Mikew1989:

If you’ve not driven a lorry before for a living don’t even consider it.

Don’t worry from reading one of the above posts I’m not going to

A lot of larger fleets self insure so actually the insurance thing wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m almost certain Turners of Soham would take you on, if there is one in your area. You will be paid peanuts though

Thanks a lot il have a look. I don’t mind taking a lower paid job to gain some experience then hopefully I will be more employable to better firms. What do you class as peanuts though?

Jimmy McNulty:
A lot of larger fleets self insure so actually the insurance thing wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m almost certain Turners of Soham would take you on, if there is one in your area. You will be paid peanuts though

Self insuring has a limit to the amount of money per claim. 10k was the figure at DHL iirc. Anything over that went through the insurance company. Self insuring doesn’t mean they insure themselves as such, just they cover the smaller claims themselves. And as I said DHL had a no DD or DR convictions clause.

Bit as said there will be some places that may well insure him, but without asking he won’t be any the wiser.

Mikew1989:
I’m looking for class one work anyway guys I know they say beggars can’t be choosers however I do have a job that with overtime pays not a bad salary so can afford to wait another 3 and a bit years if needs be. I was under the impression that it wouldn’t affect company insurance as it’s over 5 years old and it doesn’t have to be declared to insurers. I understand it’s a bad thing to have and I’m Presley not proud of it but isn’t there supposed to be a national shortage of drivers?

I assure you stay where you are much better off in the HMP, not sure of your location but I assume your post 2009 prison officer on new pay level … won’t remember the vote in 2009 to have different levels of pay and conditions do some extra PP … plus easier work …trucks won’t pay as good as the prison service … stay out better sick leave better conditions etc …